Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#31New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 16:03:56
@tomysandy Said

Why right wing (to be honest all the main parties are now in the centre anyway) A left wing government would have keep spending at the same level and we'd be exactly in the same situation as Ireland, money tin in hand. we might have still had jobs but our money that we got paid would be worthless. Instead a right wing government is increasing taxes (like a left wing government would have done) and making people in the public sector unemployed risking another longer and deeper recession. Its lose lose.

Labour were planning on waiting a while before a tax increase to give the economy more chance to grow. We are kind of dependant on consumer spending and consumers won't spend if whatever money they have left after taxes isn't enough to buy luxuries. It has to be one or the other, not both. Although this could all be solved with a Robin Hood tax. One small tax on the banks means less pressure on the public
tom On March 16, 2023
i love .....

Notlongagoinaplacenotfaraway,
#32New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 16:10:36
@crazychica Said

Labour were planning on waiting a while before a tax increase to give the economy more chance to grow. We are kind of dependant on consumer spending and consumers won't spend if whatever money they have left after taxes isn't enough to buy luxuries. It has to be one or the other, not both. Although this could all be solved with a Robin Hood tax. One small tax on the banks means less pressure on the public

The problem with a robin hood tax is that the banks would just up and leave this country and go somewhere else. This county's economy and therefore its corperate tax reciepts are very reliant on the financial sector. The politicans no this and although it would be popular with the public it would damage our economy. I think corperation tax should actually be reduced, that way we can pinch massive employers (such as Microsoft who have their european HQ in Ireland) from Ireland. It would also help medium and small business to grow and employ more people. costly in the short term, massivly beneficial in long
crazychica On March 13, 2011
A taste of insanity

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 16:13:04
@tomysandy Said

The problem with a robin hood tax is that the banks would just up and leave this country and go somewhere else. This county's economy and therefore its corperate tax reciepts are very reliant on the financial sector. The politicans no this and although it would be popular with the public it would damage our economy. I think corperation tax should actually be reduced, that way we can pinch massive employers (such as Microsoft who have their european HQ in Ireland) from Ireland. It would also help medium and small business to grow and employ more people. costly in the short term, massivly beneficial in long

That's exactly what a guy at work said
tom On March 16, 2023
i love .....

#34New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 16:19:17
@crazychica Said

That's exactly what a guy at work said

Smart guy even if I do say so myself
Junkyard_Jim On August 30, 2011

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#35New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 17:57:58
The further to the left a government goes, the larger it needs to be and the more those who support it want from it. Its a menu for disaster. Nothing in life is free, and as hard as it is, perhaps the students wanting a free education should attain it as many of us have had to do. Work a job, go to night school, join the military for educational benefits. Contribute something and stop asking everyone else to give to you.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#36New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 18:12:25
@Junkyard_Jim Said

a free education

its not given out for free, a lot of the money given to the students is paid back by the students.

in my case i received a grant which i don't have to pay back, and a loan which i do have to pay back.

also people in the UK pay more tax than people in the USA, so it is expected that things like UNI are subsidised to an extent.

and besides the people who do obtain degrees from a UNI course, will on average earn more money during their life than someone who did not obtain a degree.
and obviously the more money you make the more tax is taken from you, so its in our country's interest to educate its people to a high degree even if it means subsiding it.
tom On March 16, 2023
i love .....

#37New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 18:20:25
@mark_is_god Said

its not given out for free, a lot of the money given to the students is paid back the students.

in my case i received a grant which i don't have to pay back, and a loan which i do have to pay back.

also people in the UK pay more tax than people in the USA, so it is expected that things UNI are subsidised to an extent.

and besides the people who do obtain degrees from a UNI course, will on average earn more money during their life than someone who did not obtain a degree.
and obviously the more money you make the more tax is taken from you, so its in our country's interest to educate its people to a high degree even if it means subsiding it.

Just a point on that, I worked it out the other day (I was thinkin of moving to the USA at some point) that people in the USA, espically low earners tend to pay more tax than in the UK, depending what state they live in.
Personally I think that students should pay for there education in the form of non interest loans. For example if your doing a business course and then get a job in the city earning ?50000 plus starting salary (like a friend of mine just has) then why should I subsidize that degree. However if you get a teaching or nursing degree and earn under ?25000 I would happily subsidies that. Also I resent subsidizing degrees that will never mean that person getting a job in that field or contributing to the economy
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#38New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 18:25:25
@tomysandy Said

Just a point on that, I worked it out the other day (I was thinkin of moving to the USA at some point) that people in the USA, espically low earners tend to pay more tax than in the UK, depending what state they live in.
Personally I think that students should pay for there education in the form of non interest loans. For example if your doing a business course and then get a job in the city earning ?50000 plus starting salary (like a friend of mine just has) then why should I subsidize that degree. However if you get a teaching or nursing degree and earn under ?25000 I would happily subsidies that. Also I resent subsidizing degrees that will never mean that person getting a job in that field or contributing to the economy

as far as im aware most of my fees were paid by loan, and i start paying the loans back after i start earning over 20,000 (not sure of the exact figure) a year

but i agree that some courses in UNI do come across as pointless.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs