Forums:
News & Current Events

Out-of-town attorneys hired for teen accused of killing parents

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
sweetheart5545 On November 06, 2013

, Florida
#1New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:28:03
COLLIER COUNTY ? The family of Alex Crain has retained attorneys from Miami and Tampa to defend the 14-year-old accused of slaying his parents.

Brian Bieber, a criminal defense attorney in Miami, will work together with Mark Rankin, a former federal public defender now working for a Tampa firm.

Reached on Monday, both attorneys said they had been retained by unnamed family members of the boy, who was arrested Thursday on a pair of second-degree murder charges.

Collier County detectives say Alex shot and killed his parents, Thomas and Kelly Crain, in their Golden Gate Estates home. The victims? bodies were discovered in the Crains? master bedroom on Thursday morning, shortly after dispatchers received a 911 call from the home.

In a court appearance on Friday, Alex wept as he stood before a judge. He remains in juvenile custody in Collier County, where both attorneys recently met with him.

?This is obviously a very traumatic event, and as everyone could see by his appearance on Friday, he?s a very young, emotional, scared little boy,? Rankin said.

Bieber said Alex?s family remains numb from the shooting.

?We are dealing with all of the issues resulting in the wake of this horrific tragedy,? he said. ?Alex is a fine young man, an excellent student in school and no one would expect anything even remotely close to this happening.?

Formal charges have yet to be filed in the case. Alex can be tried as an adult, a move that would bring stiffer penalties upon conviction or plea, or he can be tried as a juvenile.

The teenager?s case presents a unique situation for prosecutors, as the Crain family is both the aggrieved party and family of the accused. Bieber said the Crains are supportive of Alex and seek a ?just and proper result? to the case.

?We hope this case will be tried as a juvenile case, because we think that would be appropriate,? Rankin said.

Bieber recently defended a 13-year-old boy in a high-profile attempted murder case out of Miami. A juvenile judge sentenced Marko Lazovic to six years of probation in Nov. 2009 for a knife attack on his friend?s mother, an assault fueled by his friend?s urging.

Monday, Bieber and Rankin reserved comment on a possible defense for Alex, saying they needed more time to look at the facts of the case.

https://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/dec/13/alex-crain-bryan-bieber-mark-rankin/?partner=popular
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#2New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:35:08
Jeez, what'd he do that for? What, did they take away his cell phone or something?!

, Florida
#3New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:36:06
@Grasshopper Said

Jeez, what'd he do that for? What, did they take away his cell phone or something?!

I have no idea
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#4New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:39:49
@sweetheart5545 Said

I have no idea

This just pisses me off! (If he did do this) I get so sick of kids complaining about their parents over stupid crap. And now this! Of course he'll get off free though, because of his "Emotional state" and his age!

This is nuts...

, Florida
#5New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 20:45:10
@Grasshopper Said

This just pisses me off! (If he did do this) I get so sick of kids complaining about their parents over stupid crap. And now this! Of course he'll get off free though, because of his "Emotional state" and his age!

This is nuts...

I agree
Rehabilitation_Please On May 20, 2016
Has Tiger Blood

Peterborough, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:04:01
WTF? Justin Bieber's dad is going to defend him?

, Florida
#7New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:12:37
@Rehabilitation_Please Said

someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#8New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:15:10
@Rehabilitation_Please Said

Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#9New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:17:31

Ha-ha!
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#10New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:47:33
https://www.marconews.com/news/2010/dec/10/golden-gate-teen-alex-crain-killing-parents-court/

Here's what happened originally with this kid. Geez, on the one mug shot he almost looks retarded. I wonder really what led up to this act. His parents looked like nice folks and the neighborhood is upscale...it's so weird!

, Florida
#11New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:53:57
@BozieFozie Said

https://www.marconews.com/news/2010/dec/10/golden-gate-teen-alex-crain-killing-parents-court/

Here's what happened originally with this kid. Geez, on the one mug shot he almost looks retarded. I wonder really what led up to this act. His parents looked like nice folks and the neighborhood is upscale...it's so weird!

yes it is
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#12New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 21:55:27
@sweetheart5545 Said

yes it is

I don't know why, but I keep thinking about those two kids that gunned down the students at Columbine! Their parents said they never suspected they were planning the massacre or building bombs in their bedrooms!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what makes kids just crack????

, Florida
#13New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 22:00:25
@BozieFozie Said

I don't know why, but I keep thinking about those two kids that gunned down the students at Columbine! Their parents said they never suspected they were planning the massacre or building bombs in their bedrooms!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder what makes kids just crack????

that's a good question,I wonder that too
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs