The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

?Will science one day prove that God exists??

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8
Raymondone888 On January 26, 2013
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#106New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 15:11:30
@Elite_Dragon Said

Naguib Mahfouz said: You can tell if a man is clever by his answers, but you can tell if a man is wise by his questions.

I don't think Science will ever prove there is a god as that would make the purpose of living void. If everyone knew that there was a god and we were going onto a better place then at the first sign of trouble we would kill ourselves and end our journey. My own personal journey and experience lends proof to my view that there is a god and that is all that i need, my own journey is in its infancy and i am enjoying every minute, even the bad parts

The point is... none of us will truly know until we pass...til then i will enjoy my ride

I suggest that you read my original post.

Each persons concept of God can vary. My concept is that there is an unseen force that binds us. We have the choice to embrace that unity or reject it.
Elite_Dragon On December 24, 2016
The Dragon is in....

Chesterfield, United Kingdom
#107New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 15:19:23
@raymondone888 Said

I suggest that you read my original post.

Each persons concept of God can vary. My concept is that there is an unseen force that binds us. We have the choice to embrace that unity or reject it.

i scanned it but got bored lol, I never said my concept of god was the same as anyone elses, throughout my post I said my experiance. My concept is that we all have our own journey and our own choices to make. That choice you talk of is not a requirement of life as we are all different and all have our own views and opinions. The fact that you even mentioned a choice and the words embrace or rejection comes across as a slightly zealotish comment, if that makes sense lol

my apologies if that was not the intention but that is how it comes across
Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#108New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 16:19:52
@Elite_Dragon Said

i scanned it but got bored lol, I never said my concept of god was the same as anyone elses, throughout my post I said my experiance. My concept is that we all have our own journey and our own choices to make. That choice you talk of is not a requirement of life as we are all different and all have our own views and opinions. The fact that you even mentioned a choice and the words embrace or rejection comes across as a slightly zealotish comment, if that makes sense lol

my apologies if that was not the intention but that is how it comes across

I took your concept from your line " If everyone knew that there was a god and we were going onto a better place".

That is part of a concept. That is not my concept.
We all make choices, and they lead us in directions that are either positive or negative.

No apologies necessary and no offence taken.
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#109New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 17:02:46
@raymondone888 Said

Sometimes God is there, right in front of our eyes, trying to tell us something, but we become deaf to Gods words and blind to Gods excellence.

To a certain extent the "divine" is always right in front of our eyes (the Christian mystics like Eckhart would say "he" is behind them also!) It's what Lama Anagarika Govinda (just luv this name dropping... ) said......"the present has no extension but intensity." Or Blake..........to the eye of a miser a gold coin is far more beautiful than the sun, and an old bag worn with the use of money of far more divine proportions than grapes hanging on the vine. The tree that brings tears of joy to one man is just a green thing that stands in the way of another. As a man is so shall he see. (and a woman too, no doubt!)

And while I'm name dropping and offering the gems of others, here is Marcel Proust....."The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new lands, but in seeing with new eyes."

Its just a question of getting out of the way, or dropping our baggage, our conditioning, our expectations born of our own "wisdom"........not always easy - in fact, never easy - but there you go......

Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#110New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 00:33:27
@Electric_Banana Said

I think we did the same drugs, Willi.

i won't tell if you don't.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#111New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 00:44:25
@tariki Said

willi, I don't really understand myself at times. But really anything of value is beyond strict logic. The little story of Joshu was offered as a way of ensuring the idea of "less" rather than "more" was not understood in any nihilistic sense. Like Buddhist "emptiness", it is emptiness that allows all things to be. If the ultimate/God was one "thing" among others, it could only ever be itself, and not "all things". But the warnings are always given that if we "believe" in emptiness, it all goes wrong, for the word points towards an experience of reality, not an attempt at a definition of reality. Just so, as a "self" we can believe in being empty - having less - or experience it. Hence Joshu tells the wannabee to carry his "nothing" away with him, as he "believes" in it, possibly as an "achievement" of the ego....which is nonsense.

Sorry, but its like trying to explain a joke......

if i read correctly, less because all is one?
science does show everything came from one thing.
call it a big bang, or a creation.
it, as stated by someone earlier,is as far back as we will most likely ever know.

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#112New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 16:28:40
@Willi Said

if i read correctly, less because all is one?
science does show everything came from one thing.
call it a big bang, or a creation.
it, as stated by someone earlier,is as far back as we will most likely ever know.

Well, that would remind me of the old (very old) joke.....what did the Buddhist say to the Hot Dog man ? "make me one with everything" Boom Boom!!

Yet alas, misleading. "All" is neither one nor two nor a multiplicity. As implied, such words as "emptiness"/"suchness" seek to indicate/express an experience, they do not seek to define reality, which is beyond definition...(this according to Buddhism, I'm not dictating or being dogmatic........ )

In the symbolism of Pure Land Buddhism (my own particular brand) the undifferentiated nature of enlightenment is represented by gold, each unique individual by the lotus flower. The Pure Land, which is NOW, is depicted as being full of infinite golden lotus flowers. Every picture tells a story. )
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#113New Post! Dec 15, 2010 @ 21:54:24
@tariki Said

Well, that would remind me of the old (very old) joke.....what did the Buddhist say to the Hot Dog man ? "make me one with everything" Boom Boom!!

i like the thought of "make me one of everything" too.
ever hear about the schizophrenic taoist?
they were at 2 with everything
Quote:

Yet alas, misleading. "All" is neither one nor two nor a multiplicity. As implied, such words as "emptiness"/"suchness" seek to indicate/express an experience, they do not seek to define reality, which is beyond definition...(this according to Buddhism, I'm not dictating or being dogmatic........ )

what experience?
the one each of us call existance?

Quote:

In the symbolism of Pure Land Buddhism (my own particular brand) the undifferentiated nature of enlightenment is represented by gold, each unique individual by the lotus flower. The Pure Land, which is NOW, is depicted as being full of infinite golden lotus flowers. Every picture tells a story. )

infinite as in all existence, or in a continuation way?

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#114New Post! Dec 16, 2010 @ 12:02:23
1) seek to indicate/express an experience,

2) The Pure Land, which is NOW, is depicted as being full of infinite golden lotus flowers.

@Willi Said

1) what experience?
the one each of us call existance?

2) infinite as in all existence, or in a continuation way?

willi, I'm not at my best when answering specific questions (quite when I AM at my best is another matter...... ) I prefer picking up the words of others and drifting off at a tangent, happily waffling with no fear of refutation....perhaps because nobody - least of all myself - knows what I'm talking about.

But, "experience" as in experience within the present moment. Maybe when we get "lost" playing a musical instrument, maybe being with those we love. Not "lost" in daydreams, anticipations and epitaphs, not lost in a stream of consciousness, a chain of repetitive thoughts born of habit and conditioning. But lost to "self" in another. Thats as close as I can get, not being enlightened, though I must say that really there can only be enlightened activity/experience rather than enlightened people, and as a Buddhist sage once said....."An ordinary human being is a Buddha, Illusion IS salvation. One foolish thought and we are stupid, ordinary. The next awakened thought and we are the Awakened One, the Buddha."

(What was that I said before about not knowing what I'm talking about...... )

And, "infinite", sorry, wrong word. I've spoken of this symbolism a few times and normally would just say "billions" rather than infinite. Just meaning each unique individual centre, each person, each themselves beyond definition. Whether "infinite" or not I wouldn't know.

Rise above the cloud

London, United Kingdom
#115New Post! Dec 18, 2010 @ 15:58:26
@tariki Said

1) seek to indicate/express an experience,

2) The Pure Land, which is NOW, is depicted as being full of infinite golden lotus flowers.

willi, I'm not at my best when answering specific questions (quite when I AM at my best is another matter...... ) I prefer picking up the words of others and drifting off at a tangent, happily waffling with no fear of refutation....perhaps because nobody - least of all myself - knows what I'm talking about.

But, "experience" as in experience within the present moment. Maybe when we get "lost" playing a musical instrument, maybe being with those we love. Not "lost" in daydreams, anticipations and epitaphs, not lost in a stream of consciousness, a chain of repetitive thoughts born of habit and conditioning. But lost to "self" in another. Thats as close as I can get, not being enlightened, though I must say that really there can only be enlightened activity/experience rather than enlightened people, and as a Buddhist sage once said....."An ordinary human being is a Buddha, Illusion IS salvation. One foolish thought and we are stupid, ordinary. The next awakened thought and we are the Awakened One, the Buddha."

(What was that I said before about not knowing what I'm talking about...... )

And, "infinite", sorry, wrong word. I've spoken of this symbolism a few times and normally would just say "billions" rather than infinite. Just meaning each unique individual centre, each person, each themselves beyond definition. Whether "infinite" or not I wouldn't know.

Yes Tariki,

The best times are spent in the moment. The moment is the closest thing to eternity. A moment can seem like forever and yet a lifetime can seem like a moment.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...6 7 8

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs