The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Local

What is the "Law of the Land" in other countries ?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Minerva On June 09, 2011

Deleted

San Diego, California
#16New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 16:51:25
It seems like to me that common sense is a very good place to start, when laying down laws.
In Germany you can drive at whatever speed your car can do!
It's a law.
They have very few "accidents" because for one thing a license to drive will cost a few thousand dollars, people have a way of respecting an investment of that magnitude.
Any land that invokes laws against speech and the free exchange of ideas is probably in a bit of trouble.
Yep, the U.S. is not perfect.
Anyone seen perfect lately?
Rome was "perfect" for a thousand years, but I would not have wanted to live there. Watch your back was the sine qua non for all Romans!
white_swan53 On October 07, 2020

n/a, New Mexico
#17New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:20:43
@ninozara Said

Ragghhhhhhh, I just wrote a lovely reply...then accidently hit the back button

Take 2

Freedon of speech is considered a Human Right, so all countries that sit on the UN has it in law (I think that is the case anyway, I know we do, and most other European countries - though there are cases where it doesn't apply - inciting racial hatred/violence for example.)

As for same sex marriage...it's a tough one. I think it is probably both, the law wouldn't work unless most people were accepting. The change in view has happened pretty quickly, like when my grandparents were my age it was utterly illegal. Being caught kissing someone of the same sex could land you in jail, more likely an insane asylum. We don't yet have 'marriage' just 'civil unions', but most people don't see the difference and just call it marriage, refer to each other as husband or wife.

Leading from that, we have Equality/Discrimination Bills, so you can't (legally) sack or refuse to serve someone based on gender, sexuality, race or religion...From some of the stories I've heard, you don't seem to have that?

As for a 'constitution' we don't have one written document, like you, I think it's just a mix of all our laws. I'm not sure though, I don't study Law or Politics.

Also, we have bishops holding seats in the House of Lords (part of parliament), who will have votes of laws. The Church of England can also submit legistration to be voted on in parliament. It's all getting a little bit political I think, but it's just to show the difference in how laws can be passed. I mean, going back to equality and gay marriage, you'd think a country where the church has so much influence it wouldn't happen, but it has

As I said in my Op , I am familiar with the fact that you don't have a written constitution, like I said it's not the politics of other countries I'm asking about, there are dozens of threads debating and discussing , disagreeing and bashing the difference in politics.
It's regular working ,tax paying citizens understanding of their 'law of he land ' I am interested in. Simply because that's pretty much where I am when it comes to our country. I have never studied law . You bring up a good question when you mentioned the freedom of speech and the UN.
Obviously it hasn't always been considered a human right , not here anyways ,if it had , it wouldn't be mentioned in the first amendment .
Do you by chance know when it changed for your country from not allowed to to being a human right ? Now just because it was written down and made a law here does not mean it was 'changed' the day it was written , it's taken more than 3 centuries .

Now take same sex marriage, your laws are progressive on the topic where ours are restrictive . ( hope those are a good choice of words describing our differences) . Here we hear all about how the state and religion should be separate , but it's the 'religions' holding us back on several changes same sex marriages being one of the top issues, while there you have bishops holding seats and The Church of England submitting legistration to be voted on .
That's something I want to ask about also, the bishops aren't voted in like the politic ans, I am guessing, . Will you explain how your government is selected or elected ? The way I understand it , it is a whole different process then how it's done here.

We have the 14th amendment that reads much like your "Equality/Discrimination Bills"
In the 1960's the 14th amendment was a long and bloody hard won step forward for this country . again , it took centuries for "The Bill of Rights" to become an accepted part of the 'way of life' for anyone not a White male citizen . Even then ,just because it was written down and the laws were changed , the mind set of many held the country back from change. IMo it's the religion's that should be separate from the state that kept the 'mind set' of the nation back in the dark ages when changes in the laws came about.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#18New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:20:51
@Minerva Said

In Germany you can drive at whatever speed your car can do!

Only on the Autobahns you can.

I also do not believe it costs a few thousand dollars to get a driving licence,more like between 1000 - 2000 depending on your driving skills.

Apologies OP will leave this for another thread

n/a, New Mexico
#19New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:36:47
@SparklyKatie Said

Personally it annoys me when people make out the US is a shining beacon of what every country should be like or that America is the freeist (is that a word?) country in the World. Different things work in different countries and there's things I can do (or broadly, UK citizens can) that Americans can't, doesn't mean I'm more free than an American. No system is better than another and I find it offensive when some Americans try and lecture me on how perfect their country is, it really isn't.

@SparklyKatie Said

I in no way intended to make out anyone in this thread annoyed me and if I did I apologise, it's just when you hear (on here and other boards) that America is the land of the free and everywhere else should adopt their system it does twinge a nerve.

I'll back out of this thread now, sorry if I hijacked it that wasn't my intention.

While I am hoping to not have to deal with any "bashing of any country by any one' I also am hoping not have to deal with any one trying to put their 'home country ' up as some 'shinning beacon ' .
' There are hundreds of those type of threads all over the web and dozens right here on TFS.
I'm interested in learning the differences and the similarities .
If it don't happen , so be it. It's just a report button away from 'throwing in the towel' it turns into 'just another one of these "it's just when you hear (on here and other boards)" type. For clarification , hitting the 'report button' to report the thread not anyone , it is the easiest and quickest way to get a thread locked

n/a, New Mexico
#20New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:45:59
@Wellard Said

My country has the best laws -

Drugs are decriminalized for drug possession and personal use.

Prostitution is legal

It is, this day , a sad day for me ,because It falls to me to inform you that there is just one small thing keeping your country from being or having the best .
And that one small thing would be ' rock and roll'
any old school student knows that it's " Drug's , Sex
-n- rock and roll " that is the best .

n/a, New Mexico
#21New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:50:12
@Minerva Said

It seems like to me that common sense is a very good place to start, when laying down laws.

I have to totally agree with this .
The only problem I see with your theory is , IMO politicians seem to allergic reactions to common sense in any form or style.
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#22New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 17:56:55
@white_swan53 Said

It is, this day , a sad day for me ,because It falls to me to inform you that there is just one small thing keeping your country from being or having the best .
And that one small thing would be ' rock and roll'
any old school student knows that it's " Drug's , Sex
-n- rock and roll " that is the best .

Yes it is definitely more like Drugs,Sex and on the Dole here thesedays

n/a, New Mexico
#23New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 18:07:22
@Wellard Said

Yes it is definitely more like Drugs,Sex and on the Dole here thesedays

That 's got to make it rough on those trying to buy sex and drugs isn't it ?

One of the off handed snide type comments heard here , when ever legalizing drugs come out , is " The taxes alone on legalised drugs could pay off the national debt "

Your ' on the dole' there is similar to our ' being on welfare ' here isn't it ?
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#24New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 18:43:53
@white_swan53 Said

That 's got to make it rough on those trying to buy sex and drugs isn't it ?

One of the off handed snide type comments heard here , when ever legalizing drugs come out , is " The taxes alone on legalised drugs could pay off the national debt "

Your ' on the dole' there is similar to our ' being on welfare ' here isn't it ?

Yes 'the Dole' means to be receiving unemployment benefits (welfare).

Legalising and decriminalising are two different things as you probably already know.By decriminalising drugs for personal use and possession (small amounts) it saves money by using less police time and tax payers money.If one gets caught with the more than the permitted amount then they get charged with dealing/intent to supply.

I agree that by legalising drugs for the gov to sell it could have a massive impact on a country financially.But best to save this discussion for one of the zillion threads that are already dedicated to this topic.

n/a, New Mexico
#25New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 19:05:36
Do you know when and why your country decriminalized drugs and legalised Prostitution? Is the crime rate better, worse , the same , since that came about? I am not about if it should or shouldn't be . I'm asking about the before and after facts of the matter.
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#26New Post! Dec 09, 2010 @ 22:06:00
@white_swan53 Said

Do you know when and why your country decriminalized drugs and legalised Prostitution? Is the crime rate better, worse , the same , since that came about? I am not about if it should or shouldn't be . I'm asking about the before and after facts of the matter.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drug_policy_of_Portugal - Check results near the bottom of page

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Portugal

https://www.idpc.net/php-bin/documents/BFDPP_BP_14_EffectsOfDecriminalisation_EN.pdf.pdf

https://www.cato.org/pubs/wtpapers/greenwald_whitepaper.pdf

Copy and paste the above as it is a PDF document

https://www.cnsproductions.com/drugeducationblog/uppers/196/

I can only offer these links,there are plenty more around but saying the same thing.I couldn't really comment on whether things have got better or not.Drugs are not really spoken about even on TV and Mr & Mrs Average know little if anything about drugs..apart from that they are evil.

It seems that since 2001 apart from heroin which has decreased drug use has gone up.I honestly think that the rise in drug use hasn't got anything to do with them being decriminalised but to do with social changes that the country/youths have experienced during the past 10 years.

To use Portugal as an example of whether decriminalisation works or not will not paint an accurate picture IMO.

n/a, New Mexico
#27New Post! Dec 14, 2010 @ 09:46:28
Thank you , I will check out the links you posted .
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs