College Life

Choosing Major/Minor, Opinions?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ItsCourtneyX On February 19, 2011

Deleted

Assville, Ohio
#1New Post! Nov 03, 2010 @ 21:43:46
Last night I requested an application to the college I would like to attend. I have 3 majors (with minors), I am looking into. But, what career counselors tell me about certain careers isn't very helpful if they haven't had experience. SO, i'm hoping some people on here have experience in any of the following fields. If you have, do you like what you do now? Would you go back and change your major? Where were you able to get a job? I'm not asking anyone to choose it for me lol, I'm simply "researching". Thanks for any words of wisdom

1. Major: English
Minor: Latin American Studies (concentration in Spanish) OR Gender Studies

2. Major: Information Systems
Minor: Asian Studies (concentration in Japanese)

3. Major: Marketing
Minor: Asian/Latin American Studies (undecided)

No matter what I decide, I'm enrolling in the Study Abroad Program.
raditz On March 24, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#2New Post! Nov 03, 2010 @ 21:45:59
@ItsCourtneyX Said

Last night I requested an application to the college I would like to attend. I have 3 majors (with minors), I am looking into. But, what career counselors tell me about certain careers isn't very helpful if they haven't had experience. SO, i'm hoping some people on here have experience in any of the following fields. If you have, do you like what you do now? Would you go back and change your major? Where were you able to get a job? I'm not asking anyone to choose it for me lol, I'm simply "researching". Thanks for any words of wisdom

1. Major: English
Minor: Latin American Studies (concentration in Spanish) OR Gender Studies

2. Major: Information Systems
Minor: Asian Studies (concentration in Japanese)

3. Major: Marketing
Minor: Asian/Latin American Studies (undecided)

No matter what I decide, I'm enrolling in the Study Abroad Program.

What would you like to do once you graduate college?

Deleted

Assville, Ohio
#3New Post! Nov 03, 2010 @ 21:49:30
@raditz Said

What would you like to do once you graduate college?

Well I thought about teaching, but that doesn't pay much (although money isn't everything, it is important).

After I graduate I would like to travel/work for a large corporation or something.
raditz On March 24, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#4New Post! Nov 03, 2010 @ 21:55:21
@ItsCourtneyX Said

Well I thought about teaching, but that doesn't pay much (although money isn't everything, it is important).

After I graduate I would like to travel/work for a large corporation or something.

Teacher's receive a decent pay, depending on the area. And they have good benefits, job security and summers off. lol

Maybe sales, or marketing?
MyPrecious On November 29, 2010
give it to me baby

Deleted

Middle of nowhere, Oklahoma
#5New Post! Nov 03, 2010 @ 22:00:20
one of these lifetimes i'll attend college for mammal trainer

Deleted

Assville, Ohio
#6New Post! Nov 03, 2010 @ 22:08:37
@raditz Said

Teacher's receive a decent pay, depending on the area. And they have good benefits, job security and summers off. lol

Maybe sales, or marketing?

I live in a bad area for teaching.
But if I were to move, I'd move to DC or New York City.
I'm thinking about computer science/information systems a lot more lately. That make a decent pay and are in high demand.

Deleted

Assville, Ohio
#7New Post! Nov 06, 2010 @ 22:38:35
UPDATE::

I think I've decided on being a Journalism major. With a minor in Latin American Studies. The college I'm applying to offers an internship at the Washington Post in Washington DC. The study abroad program will allow me to cover worldwide news.
Holyk On February 02, 2011

Clarksville, Tennessee
#8New Post! Nov 09, 2010 @ 12:50:57
Wow, good choice. Yeah, it's hard deciding o what to do. I personally went with a BA in Healthcare Administration with a Specialization in Information Systems. I get to work with people, computers, and hospitals... And the pay is good. ;D

Deleted

Assville, Ohio
#9New Post! Nov 11, 2010 @ 21:45:41
@Holyk Said

Wow, good choice. Yeah, it's hard deciding o what to do. I personally went with a BA in Healthcare Administration with a Specialization in Information Systems. I get to work with people, computers, and hospitals... And the pay is good. ;D

Thanks It should give me the opportunity to travel the world, which is a big dream of mine.

And is sounds like you have a pretty sweet job. The healthcare and medical field pay well and the great thing is there's a constant need for employees.
mydearwatson3 On December 07, 2010

Norman, Oklahoma
#10New Post! Dec 07, 2010 @ 16:31:56
Speaking from experience, I would choose a major/minor that translates into a SPECIFIC job after graduation, such as education, pre law, pre med, etc.

The job market is terrible right now. Every place will walk you to have experience and a degree, but you won't have experience because you have been in school. It sucks. Good luck!

Deleted

Assville, Ohio
#11New Post! Dec 10, 2010 @ 23:01:46
My English teacher teaches 8-3:16 at my high school. Then she teaches college classes at night. This is what I want to do. I've pretty much decided on being an English or Spanish teacher, or both.

I've also thought of Journalism, but I'm leaning more toward teaching.

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs