The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: News & Current Events:
Environment

What charities do you stand for/support?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Drgnfly83 On September 02, 2014

, Virginia
#31New Post! Apr 07, 2014 @ 13:46:29
I support Breast Cancer Awareness and St. Jude's pretty much every year. My sister is a cancer survivor, so every year I donate in honor of her.

Starting this year, me and Jason have started donating to the Garden of Angels, where our sweet little one was buries last year. We will more than likely donate yearly to this group.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#32New Post! Apr 07, 2014 @ 17:00:13
I support Cancer and heart foundations. Since my family has a lot of heart disease and cancer that runs in our family.

I also like Habitat for Humanity.
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#33New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 03:48:31
I support and regularly donate to the Cystic Fibrosis foundation. One of my best friends has CF and hardly anyone knows about what the disease even is.

I also make donations to the National Alliance on Mental Illness
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#34New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 06:09:32
St. Jude's, Veterans (DAV),Heart Association, Cancer Research,
One that supports research for orphan illnesses ( diabetes, fibromyalgia, Darier's disease)
dookie On December 16, 2023
Foolish Bombu

, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 08:46:01
My own support can be pretty random at times. See a bucket and chuck it in. I once chucked a few pence into a bucket to help my local soccer club which - judging by results - was a wasted contribution. Recently I was passing some guy sitting in the local shopping precinct who looked pretty done in. I bought him a coffee. I am thinking of beginning a monthly direct debit to "WaterAid" which I think is a worthwhile cause.

I do a bit of time in a local Oxfam Book shop, in the music section. Its really great, very few customers to disturb me as I listen to my favorite Cd's and read my Kindle. I'm also what they call a "befriender" for Age Concern, visiting those not capable of getting out as much as they would like. (I think they use me as a means of getting through the backlog. A couple of visits from me and they are happy to be on their own........... )

Seriously, we have been told to spread the word concerning the Befriender Service as there are so many out there who are lonely and just need someone to chat to now and again. If you think it would suit you, do look into it. Thanks.
MoshaFreak On May 02, 2016

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 10:29:03
Help for heros is my main charity mainly as i have close family and friends in the military

https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#37New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 13:00:55
@Dark_Tink Said

Canadian Cancer Society, The Heart and Stroke Foundation, and CHEO .

I forgot about Ronald McDonald house, and any of the local charities that have the donation boxes at the cash registers in the stores in town. I always put in whatever change is in my pockets.
EoWyN On April 01, 2015
Lucky Me!

Deleted

Under your bed,
#38New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 18:44:15
ASPCA...SPCA..other charity's that save and help animals
someone_else_again On May 20, 2021
Really. Not a dude.

, Washington
#39New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 19:00:42
Wounded Warriors in Action
Gospel for Asia (they dig wells in India)
The Arbor Day Foundation
Cpat92 On May 16, 2021
It's all or nothing

Lauderhill, Florida
#40New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 21:58:17
So far I only support Breast Cancer awareness because my aunt had breast cancer and survived it.
Grrrl On June 01, 2014

, United Kingdom
#41New Post! Apr 08, 2014 @ 22:50:42
I don't "care" about cancer charities… this puts me pretty firmly in the minority. It's not that I don't want there to be a cure for all cancers - of course I do! And over the years I've bought plenty of pink ribbons and daffodils.

But I don't consider it a priority for humanity is the same way that I get the impression most (?) people do. Most cancers are preventable, but cancer charities seem very much geared towards finding "the cure" rather than raising awareness of the dangers of alcohol, smoking, sun beds etc. which seems like an at least equally valid course of action to me.

Charities that I've volunteered for have all been small, local affairs (not on purpose, I've just never applied for a position at a national charity) and had really diverse causes including; environmental education for children, maintenance of play areas, housing for homeless families, non-profit galleries.

All this stuff matters a hundred times more to me than it did before I did any volunteering - possibly I'm brainwashed now?

In general though in terms of big charities I'd say I support Unicef, Water Aid and Shelter.
I'm not sure I can name a national level charity that runs women's refuges (or men's refuges, or any kind of abuse counselling/shelter service for that matter) but I'm all for those if someone could point me to one! (V Girls is the only thing that comes to mind).
alk1975 On August 11, 2016

Jackson, Missouri
#42New Post! Apr 09, 2014 @ 00:48:51
Ronald McDonald House, as I have stayed there and it was a godsend.

Children's trust fund. I really believe so many of the world's ills can be best fought by addressing child abuse.

Those are my favorites, but most anything related to kids, Red Cross, and fighting for those who don't have much of a voice on their own.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#43New Post! Apr 09, 2014 @ 00:57:17
All good.
I encourage more hands on types of charity support if you can. More rewarding for everyone.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#44New Post! Apr 20, 2014 @ 11:22:42
I've just joined The Alzheimer's Society. My boyfriend's grandfather has dementia and seeing the effects it's had on his family is horrible.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#45New Post! Apr 20, 2014 @ 15:21:49
@sister_of_mercy Said

I've just joined The Alzheimer's Society. My boyfriend's grandfather has dementia and seeing the effects it's had on his family is horrible.

NPR has done some great segments on this. There are a few care facilities that are trying to accommodate the patient to lower their anxiety by catering to their needs & wants. Instead of trying to make the patient fit the care providers time frame of the job they higher fewer people at any given time & instead employ them on different shifts around the clock. They have the cafeteria open at all times as well as the beauty salon, lounge, reading library, TV/movie & gym & such.

Also they also had some great advice from some families that said they now never pressure their loved one to remember who they are. Instead they take each frame of mind of their loved as a time to learn about what their loved one was thinking & doing at that time in their life. If they say something about the prom or the war or whatever you just roll with it and ask them what they think & what is going on.

Pretty kewl given the horrible affect it has on people & their families.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs