The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Why do the Abraham religions not use God?s true name?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#46New Post! Nov 28, 2010 @ 12:05:46
@spawn Said

I had a brief thing with Janus and didn?t even meet Bobby. But he was THE SOUND when many of us were breaking free so I was a huge fan. I still recognize him as a fine poet with an interesting New York view ~ but lacking any wisdom whatsoever after being told of his racist phobias.

My own "breaking free" moment came more with Freddie Mercury.........it was just the way he held the vacuum cleaner....
spawn On December 01, 2010

Burlington, Kansas
#47New Post! Nov 28, 2010 @ 12:11:13
@boxerdc Said

I'm thinking that it's time for me to go back to having religion and philosophy blocked again..

And it was just getting normal, lively, and educational again after aquines "vacation".

Your profound insight would be missed. You do know of course you can just repel those demons that force you to read things.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#48New Post! Nov 28, 2010 @ 12:35:36
@tariki Said

My own "breaking free" moment came more with Freddie Mercury.........it was just the way he held the vacuum cleaner....

I had the same experience.. Well, him and Rod Stewart..
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#49New Post! Nov 28, 2010 @ 16:30:01
@boxerdc Said

I had the same experience.. Well, him and Rod Stewart..

Mine was seeing Bon Jovi in tight pants for the first time.
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#50New Post! Nov 28, 2010 @ 16:31:04
Derailed....sorry. Is God's true name "God"? I'm confused. Did anyone actually hear her say "My name is God"??
spawn On December 01, 2010

Burlington, Kansas
#51New Post! Nov 28, 2010 @ 16:56:12
@BozieFozie Said

Derailed....sorry. Is God's true name "God"? I'm confused. Did anyone actually hear her say "My name is God"??

No, she/he never once barked my name is dog backwards. She/he said it is written in all things and uttered in birthing.
tariki On September 16, 2012

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#52New Post! Nov 29, 2010 @ 16:33:40
@calonso Said

Only thing about the hindu faith is that it is polygamist,

Thanks for your response, calonso, we seem to have some sort of agreement.......a triumph in itself these days! I think the claim that the Hindu faith is polytheistic is open to much debate. A good book concerning this, and with inter-faith dialogue itself, is Diana Eck's "Encountering God", which is partly autobiographical, detailing this ladies (a Christian) encounter with the Hindu faith while living and teaching in Benares.

It seems one of the terms frequently used is Darshana, meaning the seeing of the divine via a particular image or person. There appears to be a reciprocational element involved. While Christianity would seem to claim that one should/can only "see" the divine through Jesus Christ, a Hindu would claim that each unique individual can potentially "see" the divine through/via different darshanas; that perhaps divergent views would complement each other rather than clash with each other. I certainly think it is the case that Hinduism does assert that all the various forms of the divine are in fact aspects of a single Supreme Being.

At the end of the day, maybe it is whether we - or they - see thro the eye rather than with the eye (William Blake) as to whether idolatry is involved.

Hinduism also seems to see the term darshana in a wider sense, ackowledeging both Buddhism and Jainism as genuine darshans. This is to speak of the ideal of course. One has only to see the terrible history of religious conflict between Hindu and Muslim, and to a lesser extent, Hindu and Christian, etc etc to recognise this.

Anyway, all the best
chaski On about 12 hours ago
Stalker

Tree at Floydgirrl's Window,
#53New Post! Nov 29, 2010 @ 17:04:06
@GreatestIam2 Said

Why do the Abraham religions not use God?s true name?

If your assumption is that the name of god as presented in the bible is the correct name, then you have to change "name" to the plural "names" as the bible presents many names for god, including (but not limited to): El , Elohim, El Shaddai, Adonai, Yahweh, etc etc.

Then, of course, you have to take into consideration all the various translations of the bible (from greek, latin, german, english....korean, chineses... arabic...)

So, to answer your question... Your question is in error as the "Abraham" religions do in fact use "god's true name".

(On the other hand, you could argue that that various names as presented in the bible are all wrong with the singular exception of "I Am". However, if you do that then you are presenting that the bible is in error and wrong in. This would then essentially nullify your question... if all the various names and passages that present the various names are all wrong, why would the one passage that presents "I AM" be correct.... and why would any one care as the bible would be utter nonsense ... which it may or may not be anyway.)
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#54New Post! Nov 29, 2010 @ 17:10:51
@chaski Said

If your assumption is that the name of god as presented in the bible is the correct name, then you have to change "name" to the plural "names" as the bible presents many names for god, including (but not limited to): El , Elohim, El Shaddai, Adonai, Yahweh, etc etc.

Then, of course, you have to take into consideration all the various translations of the bible (from greek, latin, german, english....korean, chineses... arabic...)

So, to answer your question... Your question is in error as the "Abraham" religions do in fact use "god's true name".

(On the other hand, you could argue that that various names as presented in the bible are all wrong with the singular exception of "I Am". However, if you do that then you are presenting that the bible is in error and wrong in. This would then essentially nullify your question... if all the various names and passages that present the various names are all wrong, why would the one passage that presents "I AM" be correct.... and why would any one care as the bible would be utter nonsense ... which it may or may not be anyway.)

This clears up a lot. Thank you, Chas
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs