#121New Post! Nov 08, 2010 @ 08:06:11
@thequietman Said

Thanks for missing my point.

You're welcome!
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#122New Post! Nov 08, 2010 @ 08:25:44
@thequietman Said

She said that she votes for candidates that share her beliefs. A selfish reason to vote for somebody. For example, I would hate to live someplace where the majority voted for somebody who outlawed abortion and stem-cell research, without regard to the consequences, because they think it is "morally" wrong and against their beliefs.

No, what I said was I vote how I want to vote......and that vote has many reasons behind it! It is only your "opinion"......to say it's "a selfish reason to vote for somebody because we share beliefs." The person I vote for, has to have "some" views that I share. Don't pass judgment on me because you don't like my beliefs and views! I DON'T judge you!!! You have absolutely NO reason what so ever, to put me down because you and I are different in our opinions on voting!
thequietman On August 29, 2018
Scapegrace

Rusty Bullet Hole, Washington
#123New Post! Nov 08, 2010 @ 08:32:15
@Spinkiegirl Said

No, what I said was I vote how I want to vote......and that vote has many reasons behind it! It is only your "opinion"......to say it's "a selfish reason to vote for somebody because we share beliefs." The person I vote for, has to have "some" views that I share. Don't pass judgment on me because you don't like my beliefs and views! I DON'T judge you!!! You have absolutely NO reason what so ever, to put me down because you and I are different in our opinions on voting!

Who's putting you down?

Chicago, Illinois
#124New Post! Nov 08, 2010 @ 08:33:07
@thequietman Said

I vote for candidates based on their legislative track record, not what church they go to. I consider legislators who vote against stem-cell research and recognizing gay marriage to be pandering to the religious right and they won't get my vote. That's what I mean when I say 'beliefs'.

And I do not vote for someone based on what church they attend! I never said that either! Obama, is I believe a pro-choice supporter....I'am against abortion.....but I voted for him.....cause it's none of my concern what a woman does to or with her own body! And neither should our govt. Like I said, leave me the hell alone cause don't know a f***ing thing about me or who I am!

Chicago, Illinois
#125New Post! Nov 08, 2010 @ 08:35:49
@boxerdc Said

Why not? If people believe in their religion, and they find a candidate who believes in the same things, why should they not vote for the candidate who shares what they believe?

Isn't the whole point of the democratic process to have people represent your values?

AMEN my dear friend!
Scapegrace

#126New Post! Nov 08, 2010 @ 08:44:00
@Spinkiegirl Said

And I do not vote for someone based on what church they attend! I never said that either! Obama, is I believe a pro-choice supporter....I'am against abortion.....but I voted for him.....cause it's none of my concern what a woman does to or with her own body! And neither should our govt. Like I said, leave me the hell alone cause don't know a f***ing thing about me or who I am!

That post wasn't directed toward you. But I still think religion and 'beliefs' should be left out of the voting booth.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#127New Post! Nov 08, 2010 @ 14:35:23
@thequietman Said

That post wasn't directed toward you. But I still think religion and 'beliefs' should be left out of the voting booth.

I think you already went rounds with Boxer about this, but there is absolutely no way to keep your 'beliefs' out of the voting booth.
Junkyard_Jim On August 30, 2011

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#128New Post! Nov 08, 2010 @ 17:57:42
@thequietman Said

If that were law, only atheists could vote, but the "beliefs" factor may nullify them, as well. We'd have to settle for a monarchy, I guess.
Scapegrace

#129New Post! Nov 09, 2010 @ 00:05:08
@Junkyard_Jim Said

If that were law, only atheists could vote, but the "beliefs" factor may nullify them, as well. We'd have to settle for a monarchy, I guess.

Why would that have to be a law? Oh yeah, because we all have the self-control and attention span of little children? We as creatures have a great strength, which is our imaginative and analytical faculty, but it is our greatest weakness: we can create "artificial" thoughts which do not relate to the world around us, and thus mislead ourselves based on what we'd like to believe, not what we can know from analyzing the world. Similarly, we pick our leaders according to those who become the most popular, and therefore, our leaders become those who make the biggest promises and find a way to duck the followthrough; since most people relying on such delusions are not rocket scientists. That is why I think democracy as we use it is bulls***.
boxerdc On December 18, 2012

Deleted

#130New Post! Nov 09, 2010 @ 13:05:03
@thequietman Said

Similarly, we pick our leaders according to those who become the most popular

Please, speak for yourself. I don't believe that the VAST majority vote according to popularity.. I believe that they vote according to shared values, or at least the perception of shared values.

And, yes, politicians know that, and throw out "values" that are hot buttons to get votes, but at least people know where they stand.
Junkyard_Jim On August 30, 2011

Deleted

Norristown, Pennsylvania
#131New Post! Nov 09, 2010 @ 13:18:42
@thequietman Said

Why would that have to be a law? Oh yeah, because we all have the self-control and attention span of little children? We as creatures have a great strength, which is our imaginative and analytical faculty, but it is our greatest weakness: we can create "artificial" thoughts which do not relate to the world around us, and thus mislead ourselves based on what we'd like to believe, not what we can know from analyzing the world. Similarly, we pick our leaders according to those who become the most popular, and therefore, our leaders become those who make the biggest promises and find a way to duck the followthrough; since most people relying on such delusions are not rocket scientists. That is why I think democracy as we use it is bulls***.

I don't know that we actually pick our leaders. For awhile now, the political machines have picked who will run and given us a choice between who the machine supports as acceptable. That could have a lot to do with the dissatisfaction with our governing class than does faith and beliefs.

Chicago, Illinois
#133New Post! Nov 11, 2010 @ 06:45:59
@thequietman Said

And I thank you! But, I don't let my religious beliefs choose who I vote for. But candidates that share some of the same beliefs on other issues are what helps me pick and choose my vote!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...7 8 9

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs