AuthorMessage
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#1New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 05:14:37
Obama said:

Quote:
If those (Chilean) miners had been trapped a half-mile down like this 25 years ago anywhere on earth, they would be dead. What happened over the past 25 years that meant the difference between life and death for those men?

Short answer: the Center Rock drill bit.

This is the miracle bit that drilled down to the trapped miners. Center Rock Inc. is a private company in Berlin, Pa. It has 74 employees. The drill's rig came from Schramm Inc. in West Chester, Pa. Seeing the disaster, Center Rock's president, Brandon Fisher, called the Chileans to offer his drill. Chile accepted. The miners are alive.

Quote:
profit = innovation dynamic was everywhere at that Chilean mine. The high-strength cable winding around the big wheel atop that simple rig is from Germany. Japan supplied the super-flexible, fiber-optic communications cable that linked the miners to the world above.

Samsung of South Korea supplied a cellphone that has its own projector. Jeffrey Gabbay, the founder of Cupron Inc. in Richmond, Va., supplied socks made with copper fiber that consumed foot bacteria, and minimized odor and infection.

Quote:
the reality behind the miracles is the same: Someone innovates something useful, makes money from it, and re-innovates, or someone else trumps their innovation. Most of the time, no one notices. All it does is create jobs, wealth and well-being. But without this system running in the background, without the year-over-year progress embedded in these capitalist innovations, those trapped miners would be dead.

At least someone said it.

Unsung
BuBbLeZ On January 15, 2011

Deleted

Soap City, United States (gene
#2New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 05:21:33
We should also remember; selfish profit put them there in the first place?
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#3New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 05:42:13
@BuBbLeZ Said

Yes, assume the anti-capitalist worst. Anything but giving credit where credit is due.

If some individual or corporation is culpable, they will be prosecuted. Could you say the same if it was a government? The US government commits hundreds of Enron's every day without so much as a scratch.

Back to the issue, the value of selfish profit.
raditz On April 07, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#4New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 05:51:14
@BuBbLeZ Said

No, the employees chose that line of work. I'm sure they knew the risks involved before they accepted the job...
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#5New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 05:53:59
@raditz Said

No, the employees chose that line of work. I'm sure they knew the risks involved before they accepted the job...

He's resorting to the knee-jerk reaction of assuming negligence or worse, without evidence, and dismissing the possibility of a genuine accident.

But you do make a good point about assuming increased risk. God forbid the left should let them suffer the consequences of their own risk-taking or irresponsibility and attempt to flog capitalists with it.

Deleted

#6New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 06:07:42
@ThePainefulTruth Said

Yes, assume the anti-capitalist worst. Anything but giving credit where credit is due.

If some individual or corporation is culpable, they will be prosecuted. Could you say the same if it was a government? The US government commits hundreds of Enron's every day without so much as a scratch.

Back to the issue, the value of selfish profit.

I'm not understanding. Selfish profit created the situation too. You can't sit there and lecture how great selfish profit is when it also causes problems. It's like most things in life- a two edged sword.

Deleted

#7New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 06:08:53
@raditz Said

When there isn't much else to earn money to support a family, I'd choose what I could to survive even if it is a risky as hell job. Or McDonalds.
raditz On April 07, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#8New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 06:12:15
@BuBbLeZ Said

When there isn't much else to earn money to support a family, I'd choose what I could to survive even if it is a risky as hell job. Or McDonalds.

Your choice. No one is forcing you, or them to perform any work.

Deleted

#9New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 06:17:42
@raditz Said

Your choice. No one is forcing you, or them to perform any work.

Right, okay. If only things really worked that way. That argument sounds like a little kid saying they didn't ask to be born.
raditz On April 07, 2024
Blah

Houston, Texas
#10New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 06:23:09
@BuBbLeZ Said

Right, okay. If only things really worked that way. That argument sounds like a little kid saying they didn't ask to be born.

Sure it does.

I hope you don't buy any products that requires someone else to put them self in harms way to be produced. Wouldn't want to make someone take a dangerous job just to make someone else rich, now do you?

Deleted

#11New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 06:43:46
@raditz Said

Sure it does.

I hope you don't buy any products that requires someone else to put them self in harms way to be produced. Wouldn't want to make someone take a dangerous job just to make someone else rich, now do you?

Within reason. Getting out of bed in the morning can be dangerous.
A job can be dangerous but made as safe as possible. Driving a car is dangerous but there are safety measures put in place also.
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#12New Post! Oct 16, 2010 @ 07:02:26
@BuBbLeZ Said

I'm not understanding. Selfish profit created the situation too. You can't sit there and lecture how great selfish profit is when it also causes problems. It's like most things in life- a two edged sword.

I'm not saying it isn't, only that we can only do our best to reduce the risks. You initial response implied that corporations routinely take short cuts. Yes, it does happen, but just as with reckless individuals, we can only put laws in place to prevent it as much as possible.

@BuBbLeZ Said

Within reason. Getting out of bed in the morning can be dangerous.
A job can be dangerous but made as safe as possible. Driving a car is dangerous but there are safety measures put in place also.

I don't disagree with that, but you started off by saying that "selfish profit put them there in the first place". If one of the miners had died, you'd be accusing the company of murder for profit.

But this is a distraction. The issue is the innovation that is continually promoted by capitalism--and yet wealth envy has so many of us hating them for their "selfish" profit motives. We need a new concept for moral greed as opposed to immoral greed. Greed can be either.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs