Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#76New Post! Oct 19, 2010 @ 07:47:01
@Johnny_shade Said

I disagree... The very purpose of the burka is to be oppressive. No woman anywhere should have to wear one, muslim or not.

I do not think the purpose of the burka is to be oppressive. From my understanding its a religious fashion statement like a nun or a monk wears.

I can see how some people find it oppressive.

There are two sides to this and one of them is that women choose to cover up completely because this makes them think god is happy with them. In the same way a catholic wife would endure cheating and beating because it pleases god to stay with her husband.
offbeat On November 18, 2022

london, United Kingdom
#78New Post! Oct 19, 2010 @ 08:47:41
it was in the news the other day so you should find it online ...i'm sorry to say that i can't remember the mans name..there was a photo of him too.i would imagine him to be an outspoken advocate of sharia law rather than an officially appointed head...however , he was dubbed head of sharia law in britain so i used the term...not ideal i confess
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#79New Post! Oct 19, 2010 @ 08:51:24
@treebee Said

I do not think the purpose of the burka is to be oppressive. From my understanding its a religious fashion statement like a nun or a monk wears.

I can see how some people find it oppressive.

There are two sides to this and one of them is that women choose to cover up completely because this makes them think god is happy with them. In the same way a catholic wife would endure cheating and beating because it pleases god to stay with her husband.

Having thought about this, it is oppressive. Religion is notorious for being oppressive.

I suppose im trying to say that Islam is not the only oppresive religion that brainwashes women into playing second fiddle. So if we are going to slag of islam lets throw all religions in there too.
Bhav On April 12, 2011

, United Kingdom
#80New Post! Oct 20, 2010 @ 05:23:15
@Wellard Said

Just out of curiosity would you ever go to a country/state where the electric chair is still in use?.

Its not the method of execution that I questioned, but rather the laws that state what reasons people are executed for.

Replace 'stoning' to 'electric chair', and maintain the laws that state that atheists, apostates, gays, and adulterers within marriage are to be executed, and its absolutely no different to me, and no I still wouldnt ever go there.

Care to explain why I should visit a country where it is illegal and punishable by death (be it stoning, hanging, or electric chair) to be who I am?

@treebee Said

How many nuns or monks do you see dressed outside of their places of worship wearing their religious attire? How is the burka a religious fashion statement when Islam does not state anywhere that women have to wear it?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#81New Post! Oct 20, 2010 @ 14:03:05
@Bhav Said

How many nuns or monks do you see dressed outside of their places of worship wearing their religious attire? How is the burka a religious fashion statement when Islam does not state anywhere that women have to wear it?

Here are some nuns (wearing surgical masks) walking in a plaza in Mexico.

Here are some Tibetan monks on a public water taxi.

So...is the issue that they don't go out in public dressed like that? Or that we don't see many? Given the entire population, monks and nuns are a minority. Why would we see a lot of them?

(edited for punctuation)
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#82New Post! Oct 20, 2010 @ 15:44:12
@Bhav Said

Care to explain why I should visit a country where it is illegal and punishable by death (be it stoning, hanging, or electric chair) to be who I am?

Free camel rides.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#83New Post! Oct 20, 2010 @ 15:46:12

LOL gangsta nuns.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#84New Post! Oct 20, 2010 @ 15:57:38
@Wellard Said

LOL gangsta nuns.

Yeah, looks like that one on the left is throwing a gang sign, too.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5 6

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs