Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
claudibeee On July 06, 2014
Pagan and proud

, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 21:01:48
@sister_of_mercy Said

Nothing beats an old musty book, but the kindle seems a lot more convenient and practical. I think I'll get one once they've gone down in price a bit- or until my student loan comes through

I completely agree with the first part. Nothing beats a book, for me. Each to their own, but I love books as they are: apart from their content, they decorate a room and there's something very comforting about the musty-sweet smell of a really old one. I love the cover art, the illustrations and photographs and the different quality paper that's used. Sorry, I'm a bookie.
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#17New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 21:09:51
@claudibeee Said

I completely agree with the first part. Nothing beats a book, for me. Each to their own, but I love books as they are: apart from their content, they decorate a room and there's something very comforting about the musty-sweet smell of a really old one. I love the cover art, the illustrations and photographs and the different quality paper that's used. Sorry, I'm a bookie.

I used to be a bookie until the last time I moved. Now I want everything digital!
claudibeee On July 06, 2014
Pagan and proud

, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 21:13:58
@plebian_angel Said

I used to be a bookie until the last time I moved. Now I want everything digital!

I remember your move. I'm a clutter lover and always will be and I love getting my books off their shelves and catching up with some I haven't read for ages (or read at all, in some cases).
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#19New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 21:25:57
@DiscordTiger Said

The textbooks I had to price were about $140, which is insane when the book was only $160.

yes the kindle has a web browser, better functionality is a newer update, it really intended for searchttps://www.theforumsite.com/comments.php?t=414896&quote=5454279hing mostly text based like wiki, but the news sites are pretty decent on it, like cnn and a few others, they have a less flashy version for phones and devices, it comes with a nice set of bookmarks for the basics. It is now capable of reading and posting here, it was read only when I bought it, something about a java update. There is a new game that came out for it recently, something like scrabble, where you make words out of the tiles it gives you.

Not that I would buy it just for the game or the web, but it really does a lot and has great portability. It does not "share" books though, so loaning a book to a friend is not an option. And all my purchases are also stored at amazon, and can be removed from the device if there is conflict with the publisher. Not thrilled with that, but I think Amazon also refunded the $ on the illegal copies that were purchased that they removed from the system and devices. Amazon said they would not do it again, (removing from the devices). I think their TOS is still a little vague about it though.
It still leaves an interesting question about what we own in electronic format. Which is why there is no way in hell I ever pay anywhere near $140 for an e-book. I max out at $15, and there better be a damn good reason to go over $10.

The audio reader is a little monotone for me. Kinda like the "voice" that can read texts on some phones, but it is better than nothing

Oh, yeah, when the Kindle 3 came out, a lot of people were complaining about losing content they paid for. I didn't blame them.

One person had over 1,000 books and documents that she couldn't transfer to other devices (phone and laptop, etc.) and she was furious. That kind of put me off buying one. I'm glad you can transfer stuff now.

I'd like having the games, too.

Do you have the case with the light accessory? I'd think a lamp or an overhead light would be enough when it's dark in the room, but I saw someone saying the background is grayish instead of "cream" like the pages of a book.

@claudibeee Said

I remember your move. I'm a clutter lover and always will be and I love getting my books off their shelves and catching up with some I haven't read for ages (or read at all, in some cases).

I could always ship my paperbacks to you when I'm finished.
DiscordTiger On December 04, 2021
The Queen of Random

Administrator

Emerald City, United States (g
#20New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 21:52:22
Nope, I just use the light in the room same way I did with a regular book. I haven't bought a case for it, other than a silicon sleeve thingy, but it doesn't cover the screen. I have a screen protector plastic thing but I don't like it. I if have to take the kindle anywhere, it fits just in side the zippered case for my planner, and that fits in my purse, any other case would probably be over kill for me. Though there is a Diana von Furstenberg one that I like, if someone wants to buy for me.

The background is gray not cream. And it is not backlit, so if you can't read in the dark, unlike a computer or phone screen that you can.
DorkySupergirl On November 02, 2017

, Canada
#21New Post! Oct 03, 2010 @ 22:22:13
@claudibeee Said

I thought about buying one of those but then I decided not to because I love the smell of books, I love collecting books by my favorite authors and having rooms full of bookcases.

While the devices to read on would be great, I would miss my books.
Mysteria On May 19, 2014
I Am Rogue!

A Small Town, Texas
#22New Post! Oct 05, 2010 @ 22:58:17
I can't decide what to do. Maybe the price will go down rather than up and I can save for it.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs