Some of the health benefits of milk

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
squirt_aka_casey On April 21, 2018
BCW-Ant Destroyer

That place, Ohio
#46New Post! Sep 15, 2010 @ 20:31:30
Well we beg to differ. I know many people who are very sick, who have had many other "sources" of calcium but basically, because they didn't consume enough dairy, their calcium was lacking and they are suffering because of it.

Somehow abstaining from milk automatically means abstaining from every form of dairy out there.

And yes, there are a high amount of calories in calcium rich food and dairy, but that doesn't make it bad. What makes things bad for you is lack of moderation and lack of variety.

The point is, MODERATION and a diet full of variety.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#47New Post! Sep 15, 2010 @ 20:34:56
@emily_rose Said

Well no, we don't breed them for milk. We breed them to sell; we still have to milk them though other wise their utters swell up.

You may not breed for milk, but the modern domestic cow has been selectively bred for centuries specifically for milk production. Modern dairy cows produce many times more milk than natural cows used to.
emily_rose On January 13, 2011

, Texas
#48New Post! Sep 15, 2010 @ 21:08:31
@jonnythan Said

You may not breed for milk, but the modern domestic cow has been selectively bred for centuries specifically for milk production. Modern dairy cows produce many times more milk than natural cows used to.

Well they are not dairy cows actually. We keep the extra milk for the calves.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#49New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 09:20:08
https://www.veganexistence.com/2010/08/03/stuff-i-saw-when-i-worked-on-a-dairy-farm/#more-729

According to a Californian industry report, the natural lifespan of a dairy cow is approximately 15?25 years, however dairy cows are rarely kept longer than five years prior to slaughter.

Why the dairy industry cannot ethically be supported. The direct females involved are not treated with respect, or with any kind regard for their physical well-being, they do not get to live normal lives in respect to their bodies, behaviors or their natural ecosystem. They are slaughtered as soon as they cannot deliver any more milk. The non-direct animals (males) suffer the consequences of being male and barely even get the chance to live, unwanted byproducts to be done away with as soon as possible so money doesn?t have to be spent on feeding them. What goes on in the killing sheds after they leave the dairy farm, I cannot say.
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#50New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 09:28:45
@rogy Said

https://www.veganexistence.com/2010/08/03/stuff-i-saw-when-i-worked-on-a-dairy-farm/#more-729

According to a Californian industry report, the natural lifespan of a dairy cow is approximately 15?25 years, however dairy cows are rarely kept longer than five years prior to slaughter.

Why the dairy industry cannot ethically be supported. The direct females involved are not treated with respect, or with any kind regard for their physical well-being, they do not get to live normal lives in respect to their bodies, behaviors or their natural ecosystem. They are slaughtered as soon as they cannot deliver any more milk. The non-direct animals (males) suffer the consequences of being male and barely even get the chance to live, unwanted byproducts to be done away with as soon as possible so money doesn?t have to be spent on feeding them. What goes on in the killing sheds after they leave the dairy farm, I cannot say.

The problem is that you see sentient beings(whatever that is) and farmers see produce and profit. Farmers supply what consumers want. If consumers wanted zero milk, there would be zero milk production. That means that the vast majority disagree with you point of view. Can you see this changing in the future?
Carolyn2602 On February 14, 2012

Brisbane, Australia
#51New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 09:54:31
@foosyerdoos Said

The problem is that you see sentient beings(whatever that is) and farmers see produce and profit. Farmers supply what consumers want. If consumers wanted zero milk, there would be zero milk production. That means that the vast majority disagree with you point of view. Can you see this changing in the future?

A sentient being is a being who is conscious, aware and feeling.

I agree with your comment, while there is demand for any product, there will always be people willing to meet that demand. I guess it all comes back to education, and hoping that people are willing to be open enough to think about rejecting the indoctrination they've accepted as "normal" throughout their lives.
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#52New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 10:13:47
@Carolyn2602 Said

A sentient being is a being who is conscious, aware and feeling.

You always say this. And I often ask. Where does that stop? What groups of organism merit your approval of sentience? Mammals are a given, birds,reptiles and fish,i would imagine, fall into the category. Maybe not jellyfish or sponges(No brain, but does that stop them knowing they are jellyfish and sponges?). Not sure about insects.
Just because you think of an organism as "aware" doesn't mean it is.
All you are doing there is applying a human mind approach to (other) animal mind sets.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#53New Post! Sep 22, 2010 @ 11:11:42
I think we tend to stick to very old beleifs about cow milk. At one time when babies were sickly, new mothers were fighting disease and suchlike it was very much pushed that cow milk will provide your baby with everything it needs. In some countries babies were given goat milk instead because of a goat being significantly cheaper than a cow to buy and keep.

And yes, rather than a child starving to death adopted animal milk is a good substitute.

However nothing is as good for a human as humans milk. Now there are mothers who for various reasons just cannot get on with breastfeeding, they are either too sick, cannot produce enough milk or they just simply find it too frustrating and upsetting.

We can now produce synthetic human milk for those babies.

Like Jon said, cow milk is quite nice to drink now and then. Lets not kid ourselves that its a health tonic.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs