Shut PC Down or Let It Run?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
blarney On September 30, 2013

Caseyville, Illinois
#31New Post! Sep 30, 2010 @ 09:16:32
@Wellard Said

Either way it doesn't really make that much of a difference to your computer.

Thank you.
blarney On September 30, 2013

Caseyville, Illinois
#32New Post! Sep 30, 2010 @ 09:23:55
@shadyfx9 Said

Apparently when you turn a computer on it wears out the hardrive allot more than if it is left on.

The reason your getting conflicting replies is because people are telling what they do and not what you should do.

also its hard to give an answer because your asking such a gigantic question.

for example if your in a cold climate the harddrive will take a little while to warm up when you turn it on, hard drives dont work very well when they cold, it may even damage them.
if your in a humid climate when you turn it off you risk the components getting damaged from the moisture.
If your in a dusty inviroment your should be turning it off regulary to clean out the CPU and graphics card fan.

Thank you.

you need to give us more information

@Wellard Said

Either way it doesn't really make that much of a difference to your computer.

@viewcaster Said

I don't what your your concerns or reasons are either way, but I usually put mine in hibernate if going to be away for few hours and shut down if longer.

Many, many years ago (about 18) my company did quite a bit of research on this topic because at the time there was a lot of talk that turning them on and off every day was hard on the silicon chips due to heating / cooling cycles. IBM informed us that the typical processor failure was very early in the life of the chip (first 100 hours or so of use)and the heating/cooling cycles didn't have any impact other than the TIME the failed chips lasted was a bit longer on the ones that had been turned off becasue the usage hours were stretched over a longer period. They deemed that the heating / cooling damage theory was bunk and suggested that, unless we just liked the utility comanies a lot, to turn off every day.

Just a bit of info that probably nobody cared about
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#33New Post! Sep 30, 2010 @ 09:56:15
I keep mine on standby the whole day when I'm not using it and shut it down when I go to sleep.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs