The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Random

Should criminals' jail sentences be lengthened?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
claudibeee On July 06, 2014
Pagan and proud

, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Aug 21, 2010 @ 16:58:10
Sentences here can be a joke. There are far too many liberal judges who believe in rehabilitation for all when it would be far safer for the populace of this country if some of these evil bastards, who have no compunction in damaging and killing were put away for life. There is no deterrent here, therefore people commit serious crimes with impunity.
Barkley On December 20, 2010

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Aug 21, 2010 @ 17:11:41
I'm not sure what the OP means here.

Is the question should ALL prison sentences be longer?
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Aug 21, 2010 @ 17:19:24
@claudibeee Said

Sentences here can be a joke. There are far too many liberal judges who believe in rehabilitation for all when it would be far safer for the populace of this country if some of these evil bastards, who have no compunction in damaging and killing were put away for life. There is no deterrent here, therefore people commit serious crimes with impunity.

Judges don't make the sentences, they only impose them for whatever charge has been proved. Most, if not all, convictions come with a minimum and maximum sentence. A judge has to adhere to this. If you want to complain about lax sentencing, see your MP.
Pagan and proud

, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Aug 21, 2010 @ 17:22:01
@foosyerdoos Said

Judges don't make the sentences, they only impose them for whatever charge has been proved. Most, if not all, convictions come with a minimum and maximum sentence. A judge has to adhere to this. If you want to complain about lax sentencing, see your MP.

Thank you, although they do have to use their discretion or else what's the point of having a judge in the first place. If the minimum and maximum sentences that apply today are the best we can do then we've got a problem, don't you think?
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Aug 21, 2010 @ 17:31:11
@claudibeee Said

Thank you, although they do have to use their discretion or else what's the point of having a judge in the first place. If the minimum and maximum sentences that apply today are the best we can do then we've got a problem, don't you think?

I think that sometimes! What always amazes me are the cases you see in local papers up and down the country where the guilty person seems to get an awful lenient sentence, whan he/she already has 54 previous convictions. And on the same page, a first offender has a harsher sentence for the same conviction! It's almost like the law has given up on repeat offence.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Aug 21, 2010 @ 17:55:45
I haven't read the OP, but here's my answer to the question in the title: if prison is actually doing criminals any good in terms of rehabilitation, maybe it's worth keeping them there for as long as it takes to recondition them. If, on the other hand, prison is just society's dustbin, then leaving criminals there for a long time will just institutionalise them and they'll re-offend just to be able to get back in.
Pagan and proud

, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Aug 21, 2010 @ 18:26:38
@foosyerdoos Said

I think that sometimes! What always amazes me are the cases you see in local papers up and down the country where the guilty person seems to get an awful lenient sentence, whan he/she already has 54 previous convictions. And on the same page, a first offender has a harsher sentence for the same conviction! It's almost like the law has given up on repeat offence.

And what would happen to me if I apprehended a burglar in my house and belted him with a fire iron, to protect my kids? I'd get done and he would have social workers all over him like a rash to explain why his deprived childhood had led him to commit crimes in the first place. Well, aren't I amused?
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013