Forums:
News & Current Events

Students Expected to be ?25,000 in Debt After Uni

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 13:23:33
According to an independent survey, students entering university this year are expected to rack up debts of almost ?25,000 by the time they leave.

This is an increase of 5.4% on last year, possible reasons for this being the reduction of part time and temporary jobs on the market due to the recession.

The coalition government may also increase the amount students have to pay in the next few years.

It differs across the country but in Scotland the amounts were generally lower.

Here's the article: Link

It almost makes me wonder what the point of it all is. All of that debt to maybe get a highly paid job that will probably have nothing to do with your degree in the first place. It's a good thing there's more to uni than just a degree.

On the other hand though I understand that it's probably worth it for the quality of teaching that you'd receive at a university.

Do you think it's fair that students have to pay such large amounts for higher education?
MoshaFreak On May 02, 2016

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 13:28:33
i dont think its fair at all to be honest. i agrea that they pay but really that amount? when places like ireland can be free?? thats crazy mann!
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#3New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 13:44:20
Get a job innit
plebian_angel On April 25, 2012
Intergalactic hussy

a great future,
#4New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 14:08:03
Well there are costs to running any school. Buildings, equipment, teachers etc. It's got to be paid somehow. I don't think the taxpayers should bear all the burden.
foosyerdoos On March 10, 2015

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 15:02:24
@plebian_angel Said

Well there are costs to running any school. Buildings, equipment, teachers etc. It's got to be paid somehow. I don't think the taxpayers should bear all the burden.

I agree with you. My brother was a student for pretty much all of the 1980. He went to St Andrews, Dundee and Edinburgh. This was all funded by grants. When he left he was very well qualified in his field of work. He got a job on leaving University, but it was in the USA. The only country that paid for his education was the UK, the only country to see any tax from his earnings is the US.
So it kind of begs the question. Why should other UK citizens be expected to subsidise my brothers lifestyle?
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 16:37:56
Yes it's fair.

For previous generations credit was avoidable.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 16:39:28
As much as I want to say it's not fair, it is. WE want to go into higher education, WE foot the bill. Not the taxpayer.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#8New Post! Aug 14, 2010 @ 16:56:01
Working for a college...trust when I say that any college or universities out there...students are our main priority.

Even private colleges, we try to make tuition etc, the lowest we can to make it affordable. But there has to be some give and yes I think it is fair.

Especially with the fact that there is absolutely no reason (at least in America) why 75% can't be paid through scholarships. I have two degrees and am and currently working on my masters and I have never had to pay a dime out of my own pockets cept for gas and stuff.

There are so MANY scholarships out there, you just have to apply.
fractal7221 On November 08, 2012

Hubbard, Ohio
#9New Post! Aug 16, 2010 @ 03:01:45
I think the big problem is tuition costs have been increasing far faster than inflation. Back when I was in college tuition went up at least 4% a year while inflation was only around 1-2%.

Essentially the middle class is being priced out of college as the wealthy can still afford it easily and there are special grants for low income people.
carlstss On January 25, 2014

Derby, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Aug 16, 2010 @ 03:10:51
This is awfull, I dont even know why we bother to pay tax. It go's up constantly yet we see no change in how it is dealt out. Is it any wounder teen girls are just getting pregant or want to be WAG's of football players. I mean how can the rest of England see this yet the people who run can't.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs