AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#46New Post! Aug 11, 2010 @ 18:53:29
@Kristy69 Said

Well, that's not too far from the truth:

"The Duggars elected to wait before having children and practiced birth control during that time. It was four years before Josh, their oldest child, was born. The Duggars then resumed using birth control; however, Michelle conceived again but suffered a miscarriage. Believing the miscarriage was due to the birth control, the Duggars quit using all birth control. Instead, as they explain, they decided to allow God to determine the number of children they would have."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19_Kids_and_Counting

Good grief! And people call ME a religious freakazoid?
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#47New Post! Aug 11, 2010 @ 19:03:55
@Kristy69 Said

Instead, as they explain, they decided to allow God to determine the number of children they would have."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19_Kids_and_Counting

And I guess "Death of Michelle" qualifies as 'God's determination'

This reminds me of a joke that I love and I apologize as it's a little long, but relevant.

A town was flooding and one man was standing, stranded on his front porch. A life boat full of rescuers came by and said "hop in, we'll take you to safety." But the man refused and said, "Go rescue someone else, God will save me" So the lifeboat went on.

Hours later, the water is still rising and the man is now stranded on his roof. Another lifeboat comes by and offers to take him to safety. Again, the man refuses saying "Go rescue someone else, God will save me." So the second lifeboat leaves.

A few more hours later, the water is still rising and the man is now clinging to his chimney. A rescue helicopter comes by and offers to take the man to safety. Yet again, the man refuses and says "Go rescue someone else, God will save me." and the helicopter leaves.

The flood waters continue to rise and the man is swept away and dies. Upon reaching Heaven, he confronts God. "God, I had faith in you, why didn't you save me?" and God replied..."I sent two lifeboats and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

The moral of the joke/story is, if you're willing to take direction from God, be open to His response.
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#48New Post! Aug 11, 2010 @ 19:32:14
@someone_else Said

This reminds me of a joke that I love and I apologize as it's a little long, but relevant.

A town was flooding and one man was standing, stranded on his front porch. A life boat full of rescuers came by and said "hop in, we'll take you to safety." But the man refused and said, "Go rescue someone else, God will save me" So the lifeboat went on.

Hours later, the water is still rising and the man is now stranded on his roof. Another lifeboat comes by and offers to take him to safety. Again, the man refuses saying "Go rescue someone else, God will save me." So the second lifeboat leaves.

A few more hours later, the water is still rising and the man is now clinging to his chimney. A rescue helicopter comes by and offers to take the man to safety. Yet again, the man refuses and says "Go rescue someone else, God will save me." and the helicopter leaves.

The flood waters continue to rise and the man is swept away and dies. Upon reaching Heaven, he confronts God. "God, I had faith in you, why didn't you save me?" and God replied..."I sent two lifeboats and a helicopter, what more did you want?"

The moral of the joke/story is, if you're willing to take direction from God, be open to His response.

Carly's Mommy

#49New Post! Aug 11, 2010 @ 19:35:13
@someone_else Said

Wouldn't God want them to open their arms to children who needed homes instead? That seems like the more Christian thing to do...
Carly's Mommy

#50New Post! Aug 11, 2010 @ 19:35:37
@Grasshopper Said

freakazoid?

YAY! I'm not the only one who uses that word!
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#51New Post! Aug 11, 2010 @ 19:36:34
@Kristy69 Said

Wouldn't God want them to open their arms to children who needed homes instead? That seems like the more Christian thing to do...

IMO, God wants different things from different people. I'm not really sure what He's getting out of the Duggars.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#52New Post! Aug 11, 2010 @ 19:39:22
@Kristy69 Said

YAY! I'm not the only one who uses that word!

Heh heh, it's an awesome word, it should be in the dictionary.
Carly's Mommy

#53New Post! Aug 11, 2010 @ 20:11:02
This s*** jst keeps getting weirder!

Michelle never went to church growing up but converted to Christianity in her teen years.
When JimBob and Michelle met, he wanted to be her "Spiritual Leader"
And get this; THEY DATED
(something they won't let their kids do, they'll "court" when they turn 20)

They also say they "encourage" their children to be "one minded" (that's not healthy).

"We try to have regular talks with each one individually on a weekly basis."

That should be daily, not weekly. Imagine only talking to your parents one-on-one as a child only weekly. That's 52 conversations a year.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#54New Post! Aug 13, 2010 @ 00:41:40
@Eastender Said

Yeah, Shock horror and all that panicky guff, lol. But back 100 or so years lots of families regularly had 11 or 12 kids and so on - my ancestors did. But I spose we've got to be shocked, because it's not middle class enough.

One of the few reasons that I'm so glad to be living in this time period. If my husband expected me to spend a decade+ of my life pregnant I'd run away and never come back. And without meds too! I'm okay admitting that those women wear made of stronger stuff than me.

This particular woman is just insane. One child was enough to kill the idea of sex for me for a long time, and that was with birth control. Not to mention living in a house with that many people would drive me slowly insane.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#55New Post! Aug 13, 2010 @ 00:56:59
They are nuts.

BUT at LEAST they do seem to instill family values and education in their kids. I do have to give them that. But having them on a tv show all the time isn't exactly great parenting either.

Man, can she put her damn reproductive organs on retirement already?

They seem to really love kids, at least I can give them that as well. I have seen people around me have multiple children and don't really give a crap about them. They just forgot to use birth control and show up at the welfare office with about six or seven in tow. That is no better than the Duggars. At least the duggars are trying to give their kids a decent life.

I do think it was wrong they had a kid and overshadowed their son's.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs