The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Animal Rights

Conflicted meat-eaters deny that meat-animals have the capacity to suffer.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...11 12 13
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#181New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 04:06:11
That's a pretty good point.

"You ordered McNuggets?! Oh my god! There's CORN in there!"
TransBunny On September 20, 2011

Bunnyland, California
#182New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 04:10:32
@rogy Said

The two cases are in some basic ways similar - both involve overriding the interest of others for own's own benefit.

rogY

The most disgusting thing I've heard in quite some time. People disagree with you, so you say these horrid, morbid things for shock value. A horrendous scare tactic, and a desperate attempt to force your views on the unwilling
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#183New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 10:18:01
@TransBunny Said

The most disgusting thing I've heard in quite some time. People disagree with you, so you say these horrid, morbid things for shock value. A horrendous scare tactic, and a desperate attempt to force your views on the unwilling

It's all good trans... it is only the unbalanced that would consider such a thing to even have the smallest glimmer of merit. Mind you, it is the unbalanced that, on hearing such things, may decide that killing people that kill animals is ok...

It is one of the beautiful things about free speech - people can sprout madness.

I support his right to speak from the depths of deluded psychosis... at the least, it allows us normal people insight into the deluded, potentially dangerous thinking of those that hold these kinds of opposing views.
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#184New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 14:07:40
@JuanSmith Said

I make some mean hamburgers.. I use freshly ground cuts. for mine.. no already packaged ground beef.. yuck.

I thought that said fresh ground cats !

ETA: I just realized I posted this while I had a 'pig butchering guide' as my avy.
lefty On July 19, 2018
AKA: friendlybear

Oh, Canada
#185New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 15:03:32
@jonnythan Said

By the way, I know that I'm a jerk and a smartass. You're not hurting my feelings by saying I'm not nice

Sorry to the OP for going off topic here, but I believe this needs to be said.

In this instance, Jonnythan, you're also wrong.

There have been numerous studies on the correlation between regular consumption of fast food and increased risk of obesity and diabetes. Here's the conclusion from one.

Quote:
Fast-food consumption has strong positive associations with weight gain and insulin resistance, suggesting that fast food increases the risk of obesity and type 2 diabetes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15639678

Now I realize that a parent that is well educated in nutrition will not normally allow excessive consumption of these products, but you have to understand that the majority of parents in the world are not up to your intelligence level or educational standards and do not have the knowledge to make a proper informed decision.

So unless you are planning on educating these unfortunate parents and children yourself, get off your high horse and admit that regular consumption of fast foods by the majority of children in our society leads to increased risk of obesity and diabetes.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#186New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 15:09:11
@lefty Said

Sorry to the OP for going off topic here, but I believe this needs to be said.

In this instance, Jonnythan, you're also wrong.

There have been numerous studies on the correlation between regular consumption of fast food and increased risk of obesity and diabetes. Here's the conclusion from one.

I never said there wasn't a correlation between regular consumption of fast food and risk of obesity and diabetes, so it's hard to say that I'm wrong for showing there's a correlation.

You're implying that going to fast food establishments causes obesity, which it does not. Overeating is what causes obesity. It is perfectly possible to frequent fast food establishments and not overeat, to which both Lili and I can attest.

@lefty Said
Now I realize that a parent that is well educated in nutrition will not normally allow excessive consumption of these products, but you have to understand that the majority of parents in the world are not up to your intelligence level or educational standards and do not have the knowledge to make a proper informed decision.

Of course I understand that. The entire point I'm making is that it's possible for a parent to frequently take their children to fast food establishments and still provide for them a healthy diet.

This is to counter LuckyCharms' claim that any parent who frequents fast food establishments with their children is abusing them, no matter what. That's clearly not the case.

You and I both agree that it's possible for a parent to frequent fast food establishments with their children while still being a good parent and providing a healthy diet. Lili's example even proves that it's done.

@lefty Said
So unless you are planning on educating these unfortunate parents and children yourself, get off your high horse and admit that regular consumption of fast foods by the majority of children in our society leads to increased risk of obesity and diabetes.

I never argued that. Ever. Not once. Saying it or admitting it doesn't in any way invalidate anything I've said previously.
lefty On July 19, 2018

Oh, Canada
#187New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 15:46:42
@Jonnythan Said
You and I both agree that it's possible for a parent to frequent fast food establishments with their children while still being a good parent and providing a healthy diet.
This statement is only relevant if the persons involved are aware of and educated to the fact that excessive consumption of foods with a high glycemic index can lead to obesity and diabetes.

If this were truly the case, then we would not have the epidemic of obesity and the increased levels of diabetes in North America.

Not all parents have the intelligence or education to make informed choices. All I'm suggesting, is rather than finding fault with someone's use of the word any instead of some your efforts could be better spent in helping educate these unfortunate parents and children.

That's the only way that these statistics are going to be reversed, short of outlawing fast food restaurants.
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#188New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 15:54:46
@lefty Said

This statement is only relevant if the persons involved are aware of and educated to the fact that excessive consumption of foods with a high glycemic index can lead to obesity and diabetes.

If this were truly the case, then we would not have the epidemic of obesity and the increased levels of diabetes in North America.

Not all parents have the intelligence or education to make informed choices. All I'm suggesting, is rather than finding fault with someone's use of the word any instead of some your efforts could be better spent in helping educate these unfortunate parents and children.

That's the only way that these statistics are going to be reversed, short of outlawing fast food restaurants.

I said it's possible. It's possible, period.

The possibility becomes a reality when the parent in question is responsible and educated, as in the case of Lili.

I actually spend a great deal of time both on this site and in real life discussing food and nutrition with people. In my years on TFS, I've helped a number of people on this site alone better understand what they put in their bodies and how their eating affects their health and weight. In my years of struggling with my own weight and health, I've also helped a number of people in real life get in better shape, lose weight, and become significantly more educated about nutrition.

Part of educating people involves dispelling myths and exposing misinformation and overgeneralizations such as "any parent who takes their child to fast food places frequently is a child abuser" or "chicken mcnuggets have more corn than chicken." That's the sort of misinformation and bulls*** that actually affects people's lives.

Many people simply don't understand that it's possible for McDonald's to be a healthy part of their lives or their children's lives. Instead of allowing a poster here to continue spreading that myth, I chose to attack it. By doing so, I think I actually accomplished something - I think that, with the significant help of Lili, I established that it's entirely possible for regular trips to fast food establishments to be part of a healthy lifestyle for adults and children alike.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#189New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 16:01:29
I eat meat and don't deny that animals have the capacity to suffer, like all animals they suffer. Humans suffer. If you're aiming for a world without suffering I'm sorry it's just never gonna happen.
drummerwannabe On June 17, 2019
Travel Junkie

In a drum.., Minnesota
#190New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 16:43:33
@rogy Said

A new study from the University of Kent has provided direct evidence that people who wish to escape the ?meat paradox? i.e. simultaneously disliking hurting animals and enjoying eating meat, may do so by denying that the animal they ate had the capacity to suffer.

By engaging in denial, those participating in the study also reported a reduced range of animals to which they felt obligated to show moral concern. These ranged from dogs and chimps to snails and fish.

The study, the results of which are published in the August issue of Appetite, was conducted by Dr Steve Loughnan, Research Associate at the University?s School of Psychology, and colleagues in Australia.

Prior to their study, it was generally assumed that the only solutions to the meat paradox are for people to simply stop eating meat, a decision taken by many vegetarians, or the ongoing failure to recognise that animals are killed to produce meat (although few people live in true ignorance, some meat-eaters may live in a state of tacit denial, failing to equate beef with cow, pork with pig, or even chicken with chicken)

https://www.kent.ac.uk/news/stories/meat-eaters-study/2010

I understand where you're coming from and respect your thoughts and beliefs. But here's my opinion.

I don't deny that animals feel pain and it upsets me to see those undercover shows where they live in horrible conditions and they're treated badly. I think we do need to treat these animals better. But I think that our liking of meat depends on the long history of eating meat and our own survival.
I have a good question. If I was in the jungle and a jaguar wanted to eat me, do you think he cares about my human rights and pain? No, he is trying to survive and if that means eating me, so be it. I mean we are carnivores in the animal kingdom. Sure, we all could probably become vegetarians, but what would happen to the planet? At first the animals would start growing in number, but then it would become over-run and we will have to kill them just to make it.

I say to each his/her own and if you want to be a vegetarian, then good for you. But please respect our opinions and way of life. Don't make us feel bad about ourselves and our way of life.
lefty On July 19, 2018

Oh, Canada
#191New Post! Aug 09, 2010 @ 17:34:18
@jonnythan Said

I said it's possible. It's possible, period.

The possibility becomes a reality when the parent in question is responsible and educated, as in the case of Lili.

I actually spend a great deal of time both on this site and in real life discussing food and nutrition with people. In my years on TFS, I've helped a number of people on this site alone better understand what they put in their bodies and how their eating affects their health and weight. In my years of struggling with my own weight and health, I've also helped a number of people in real life get in better shape, lose weight, and become significantly more educated about nutrition.

Part of educating people involves dispelling myths and exposing misinformation and overgeneralizations such as "any parent who takes their child to fast food places frequently is a child abuser" or "chicken mcnuggets have more corn than chicken." That's the sort of misinformation and bulls*** that actually affects people's lives.

Many people simply don't understand that it's possible for McDonald's to be a healthy part of their lives or their children's lives. Instead of allowing a poster here to continue spreading that myth, I chose to attack it. By doing so, I think I actually accomplished something - I think that, with the significant help of Lili, I established that it's entirely possible for regular trips to fast food establishments to be part of a healthy lifestyle for adults and children alike.

Once more I'd like to apologize to the OP for being off topic, but I feel that since I brought this up in a public thread, I should finish it that way also.

Firstly, I would like to commend you Jonnythan, for your success in losing weight and trying to live a more healthy lifestyle.

Secondly, I would like to apologize for suggesting that you were a part of the problem, rather than a part of the solution. I was not aware of your efforts to help others to become more informed about the effects of diet on their lives.

Kudos to you for that.

The actual reason that I felt compelled to respond to your post was because I thought that you could have been a little less aggressive with your correction of perceived misinformation. I also have some things that I am quite passionate about and I understand your zeal.

It is also true that we can teach more with understanding and compassion, than we can with harsh words.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...11 12 13

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs