News & Current Events

Politician calls Islam 'cult': Church to burn Quran

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 18:59:49
Tennessee Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey, lagging in polls in the Republican gubernatorial primary race, according to Talking Points Memo, says he's not sure if Constitutional guarantees of freedom of religion apply to Islam, since, he says, Islam may be a cult, not actually a religion.

https://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2010/07/islam-quran-koran-dove-world-outreach-center-burn/1?csp=hf

Keep the hate alive! The government should totally decide which religions are fit and which aren't.
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#2New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:03:41
That is so ignorant!
hazuki0chan On July 18, 2012
Zombie Slayer

San Francisco, California
#3New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:06:18
Ok, who let out the defective prototypes out their cages? I told you people, their brains are not advanced enough to process simple concepts!
someone_else On August 30, 2012
Not a dude.

Deleted

American Alps, Washington
#4New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:07:04
Hmmm...

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: ˈkəlt
Function: noun
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate ? more at wheel
Date: 1617
1 : formal religious veneration : worship
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : the object of such devotion c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion. Cult

Main Entry: re?li?gion
Pronunciation: ri-&#712;li-j&#601;n
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back ? more at rely
Date: 13th century
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith Religion

I don't know about you, but I don't see much difference in the definitions. The pastor of my church says the definition of a cult is 'the church down the street' (not literally).
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#5New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:29:31
Religion should never interfere with politics, Islam or not. That's not saying that states should be religious.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#6New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:30:07
@SparklyKatie Said

Tennessee Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey, lagging in polls in the Republican gubernatorial primary race, according to Talking Points Memo, says he's not sure if Constitutional guarantees of freedom of religion apply to Islam, since, he says, Islam may be a cult, not actually a religion.

https://content.usatoday.com/communities/Religion/post/2010/07/islam-quran-koran-dove-world-outreach-center-burn/1?csp=hf

Keep the hate alive! The government should totally decide which religions are fit and which aren't.

IMO all religions are cults. But I guess you could say the same with fans of sport teams or bands, etc.

On side note, this guy, Mr Ramsey is just trying to get some press. But he sure is making himself look like a f***ing douche bag.
galastaray On June 08, 2016
honey bucket

Deleted

Honey Bucket, Reunion
#7New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:30:22
@someone_else Said

Hmmm...

Main Entry: cult
Pronunciation: &#712;k&#601;lt
Usage: often attributive
Etymology: French & Latin; French culte, from Latin cultus care, adoration, from colere to cultivate ? more at wheel
Date: 1617
1 : formal religious veneration : worship
2 : a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3 : a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4 : a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5 a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad b : the object of such devotion c : a usually small group of people characterized by such devotion. Cult

Main Entry: re?li?gion
Pronunciation: ri-&#712;li-j&#601;n
Etymology: Middle English religioun, from Anglo-French religiun, Latin religion-, religio supernatural constraint, sanction, religious practice, perhaps from religare to restrain, tie back ? more at rely
Date: 13th century
1 a : the state of a religious <a nun in her 20th year of religion> b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith Religion

I don't know about you, but I don't see much difference in the definitions. The pastor of my church says the definition of a cult is 'the church down the street' (not literally).

Half the world's population would find this offensive.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#8New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:35:15
@Galastaray Said

Half the world's population would find this offensive.

Truth sometimes is.

There is a fine line.
Not a dude.

Deleted

#9New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:36:05
@ssnot_me Said

IMO all religions are cults. But I guess you could say the same with fans of sport teams or bands, etc.

On side note, this guy, Mr Ramsey is just trying to get some press. But he sure is making himself look like a f***ing douche bag.

I didn't know there were douche bags for that.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#10New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:39:19
@SparklyKatie Said

if true
how very christian of him .
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#11New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:41:02
Talking Points Memo?
are they "real" news?
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#12New Post! Jul 27, 2010 @ 19:45:22
Quote:
In an email to TPMDC, Ramsey wrote that "my concern is that far too much of Islam has come to resemble a violent political philosophy more than peace-loving religion. It's time for American Muslims who love this country to publicly renounce violent jihadism and to drum those who seek to do America harm out of their faith community."

i agree
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs