Bloemfontein is dry.........

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 24, 2010 @ 07:22:43
....... on Sundays.

Yes folks, this is true. There is a very strict law in Bloemfontein (where Sunday's second round match between England and Germany will be played).. driven (I think) by the Dutch Reformed Church, or some other form of Presbyterianism which strictly forbids the sale of alcohol on Sunday.

So. Thousands of English fans... and let's not forget, that German fans are fond of imbibing the foaming ale too.... are going to have to go dry before the match that we (England) consider the biggest game on our international roster.

Forget the Scots... the Welsh.... the Irish.... Wed don't even bother to play them any more unless we have to. The team the English football fan wants us to beat more than any other, is Germany.

In truth, England and Germany are the best of enemies. I believe there is a mutual respect there. England have had a bad start to the competition, but the Germans won't be fooled by that. They know they're going to be in a fight.

Usually, English and German fans mix quite well, and both enjoy a few beers before the game. But that won't happen before this match. Both sets of fans are likely to turn up at the stadium quite sober.

It should be quite a strange experience for both of them..!!

Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#2New Post! Jun 24, 2010 @ 07:26:05
Oh dear,no alcohol for maybe over two hours how will they cope?.
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 24, 2010 @ 08:38:24
I'm pretty sure out of all the nationalities in the world, the English and the Germans are some of the most capable of getting hold of alcohol if they really want it! We're both very committed to our alcohol consumption!
waldo On August 02, 2016
I don't care

lancaster, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 24, 2010 @ 12:04:24
Can you imagine how much money they are going to miss out on. Not selling Booze. lol Dozy buggers
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Jun 24, 2010 @ 12:13:57
They will get their hands on some one way or another. If selling it is prohibited there they'll probably buy it en route before they get there. I would.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 24, 2010 @ 12:18:28
@TheMightyOz Said

I'm pretty sure out of all the nationalities in the world, the English and the Germans are some of the most capable of getting hold of alcohol if they really want it! We're both very committed to our alcohol consumption!

The question will be whether the South African police will turn a blind eye to it. It would only take one eejit (and there will plenty of those around) to get out of his pram and there could easily be an incident.

Englands' fans have pretty much re-invented themselves in the last five years or so. Strong police action to keep known hooligans away from matches, and an attitude of "self policing" by decent fans has largely made the bad old days of mass hooliganism and brawling a thing of the past.

The last thing we'd want is for some petty incident to be blown out of all proportion by our wonderful press... and the press of the world.... and everybody says "The English are at it again".

Let's just hope that if the SAP decide to enforce their law, that everybody respects it. It is their country, after all.

Lfc1892 On August 10, 2010

Deleted

Dublin, Ireland
#7New Post! Jun 24, 2010 @ 12:21:27
Kein alkohol? Shciesse
Chrill On August 01, 2022
Gesundheit

Järfälla, Sweden
#8New Post! Jun 24, 2010 @ 12:26:22
@Jennifer1984 Said

....... on Sundays.

Yes folks, this is true. There is a very strict law in Bloemfontein (where Sunday's second round match between England and Germany will be played).. driven (I think) by the Dutch Reformed Church, or some other form of Presbyterianism which strictly forbids the sale of alcohol on Sunday.

So. Thousands of English fans... and let's not forget, that German fans are fond of imbibing the foaming ale too.... are going to have to go dry before the match that we (England) consider the biggest game on our international roster.

Forget the Scots... the Welsh.... the Irish.... Wed don't even bother to play them any more unless we have to. The team the English football fan wants us to beat more than any other, is Germany.

In truth, England and Germany are the best of enemies. I believe there is a mutual respect there. England have had a bad start to the competition, but the Germans won't be fooled by that. They know they're going to be in a fight.

Usually, English and German fans mix quite well, and both enjoy a few beers before the game. But that won't happen before this match. Both sets of fans are likely to turn up at the stadium quite sober.

It should be quite a strange experience for both of them..!!

Haha. LEt's face it, Germany will win 3-0 or something
TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Jun 24, 2010 @ 12:49:35
@Jennifer1984 Said

The question will be whether the South African police will turn a blind eye to it.

If it's only the sale of alcohol that's forbidden, the fans won't be doing anything wrong by consuming it.
waldo On August 02, 2016
I don't care

#10New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 05:46:23
The Daily Mirror reports today that the barand club owners in Bloemfontein will be selling alcohol as normal on Sunday. As it is only an unwitten law.
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 06:09:15
@waldo Said

The Daily Mirror reports today that the barand club owners in Bloemfontein will be selling alcohol as normal on Sunday. As it is only an unwitten law.

It looks like good news for the drinker fans then, Waldo. Let's hope it goes off without a hitch.

I suppose it's one of these things that's driven by the churches in The Free State. We have to remember that the Afrikaaner people are almost pathologically religious.... very, very fundamentalist. I wonder how much simmering resentment there may be just beneath the surface for these people, having to compromise their principles for the sake of the world cup. It's difficult to tell, but if the next couple of weeks can go by without any problems, then I suppose they will grin and bear it and quietly slip back into their normal way of life when the carnival is over.

Let's just hope it all goes off peacefully.... whoever wins.

waldo On August 02, 2016
I don't care

#12New Post! Jun 25, 2010 @ 06:12:25
yes well said. I bet their not happy that the home team has been knock out in the first round. A lot will be wishing for everybody to go home and leave them in peace.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs