Difference of News Channels

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 08:56:58
I was flicking through this morning.

BBC News 24: Interview with George Osborne, the Chancellor.

BBC Parliament: Discussions of the debate a select committee had on bullying in schools.

Sky News: Jordon engaged in bidding war between ITV2 and Living TV.

Guess which one Murdoch owns.
Pete On March 28, 2012
Master of Unlocking

Central Scotland, United Kingd
#2New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 13:20:14
Give it time, and it will probably be all of them.
claudibeee On July 06, 2014
Pagan and proud

, United Kingdom
#3New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 15:29:31
@jmo Said

I was flicking through this morning.

BBC News 24: Interview with George Osborne, the Chancellor.

BBC Parliament: Discussions of the debate a select committee had on bullying in schools.

Sky News: Jordon engaged in bidding war between ITV2 and Living TV.

Guess which one Murdoch owns.

nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#4New Post! Jun 21, 2010 @ 02:01:09
Even here in the US, you go flicking through the three main sources of political news, and chances are they're all talking about different things.

MSNBC and FOX NEWS are having a ratings and terf war right now, trying to see who can make which party seem like the bigger idiot, and CNN is watching from the sidelines
lefty On July 19, 2018
AKA: friendlybear

Oh, Canada
#5New Post! Jun 21, 2010 @ 02:10:26
In my opinion, most news sources present the news from their owners point of view. I agree with you that the reason they place emphasis on different items is to gain in the ratings war.

Whatever happened to old fashioned journalism, where the reporter had a desire to inform and educate rather than entertain and titillate?

We all need to be vigilant and get our information from multiple sources these days, and make an educated decision based on ALL the points of view.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#6New Post! Jun 21, 2010 @ 02:16:56
They were all fired when it was figured out that news could get more ratings if they were passionate about the side that their audience cared about.

Thats why, to get the attention of the news media, you have to have an event to bring attention to a cause.
lefty On July 19, 2018
AKA: friendlybear

Oh, Canada
#7New Post! Jun 21, 2010 @ 02:35:20
Or be in line with the views of that particular media outlet's owners.

Just remember, the owners may have a hidden agenda of their own as a reason for what and how they report. A perfect example is William Randolph Hurst and the campaign to make marijuana illegal.
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#8New Post! Jun 21, 2010 @ 22:29:52
@lefty Said

In my opinion, most news sources present the news from their owners point of view. I agree with you that the reason they place emphasis on different items is to gain in the ratings war.

Whatever happened to old fashioned journalism, where the reporter had a desire to inform and educate rather than entertain and titillate?

We all need to be vigilant and get our information from multiple sources these days, and make an educated decision based on ALL the points of view.

Unfortunately, I don't think such a time ever existed. The Spanish/American War happened because Hearst and Pulitzer had a ratings war. The general public has a vastly inaccurate idea of what happened during Orson Well's War of the Worlds special because newspapers wanted to demonize radio (the new medium of the time). The Denver Post convinced Coloradans they actually found a woman raised by wolves, until some 1 recognized her as an actress from Chicago. And that's just the US. News media from other countries can't be much better.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs