Forums:
Religion & Philosophy

Jesus Christ.

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Straightup On November 25, 2011

, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 03:36:21
These topics never fare well in a forum, but i'm going to have a shot anyhow, possibly i'm a glutten for punishment

It's generally accepted that Jesus Christ did in fact exist.

There's plenty of debate about details, when he was born, what he actually did, whether he claimed to be the Messiah or not and then of course there's his 'ressurection' which pretty well destroys any chance he had of being taken seriously in todays world.

Everything we know of him today is shrouded in religious jargon and actual facts are impossible to find, given the people who wrote his history.

I think he was most likely just an every day guy who saw the corruption in the religion of his day and sought to bring people back to the 'truth' of God.
Like Martin Luther perhaps?

Thoughts?
MagicBus On June 23, 2014

Boondocks USA,
#2New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 03:40:43
aneil On February 20, 2023

Freeport, Trinidad and Tobago
#3New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 03:49:50
@MagicBus Said

haha, im getting this shirt!

, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 03:50:08
@MagicBus Said

You don't want to talk about the Messiah wiv me?

Not even to call me loony?

Boondocks USA,
#5New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 03:55:10
@Straightup Said

You don't want to talk about the Messiah wiv me?

Not even to call me loony?

"he's not the messiah , he's a very naughty boy"

, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 04:00:10
Ah your all mean!!

Have you not seen Passions of the Christ!

He died a horrible death.. To save us from our sins!

Where's crazy Christian man when I need him?
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#7New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 04:04:30
@MagicBus Said

"he's not the messiah , he's a very naughty boy"

I don't get this tshirt? Am i just being daft? Omg dont answer that.
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#8New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 04:08:22
@Straightup Said

Where's crazy Christian man when I need him?

Where is HilmDan when you need him!?

Boondocks USA,
#9New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 04:10:03
@GSnap Said

I don't get this tshirt? Am i just being daft? Omg dont answer that.

get it now ?

, United Kingdom
#10New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 04:48:40
@GSnap Said

Where is HilmDan when you need him!?

Dan is not crazy!

Im thinkin of that other one.. Umm, its like Arcades but is not..

And we will be in trouble for talking about ppl not posting in a thread, SHHHHHH!
GSnap On March 02, 2019

Over the Rainbow,
#11New Post! Jun 20, 2010 @ 04:51:13
@Straightup Said

Dan is not crazy!

Im thinkin of that other one.. Umm, its like Arcades but is not..

And we will be in trouble for talking about ppl not posting in a thread, SHHHHHH!

Dan is too crazy! Well maybe not in the way you are thinking! i say this in friendship, I'm not pickin on him in a bad way.

LOL you are thinking of Aquine! Not talkin bad about him either. I just know he is fond of Jesus.
nooneinparticular On March 16, 2023

, Hawaii
#12New Post! Jun 21, 2010 @ 01:52:31
@Straightup Said

These topics never fare well in a forum, but i'm going to have a shot anyhow, possibly i'm a glutten for punishment

It's generally accepted that Jesus Christ did in fact exist.

There's plenty of debate about details, when he was born, what he actually did, whether he claimed to be the Messiah or not and then of course there's his 'ressurection' which pretty well destroys any chance he had of being taken seriously in todays world.

Everything we know of him today is shrouded in religious jargon and actual facts are impossible to find, given the people who wrote his history.

I think he was most likely just an every day guy who saw the corruption in the religion of his day and sought to bring people back to the 'truth' of God.
Like Martin Luther perhaps?

Thoughts?

Probably. Ancient historians seem to agree that Jesus existed, but thats as far as they seem willing to go.

If we look at all religions with messiahs respectfully, we notice that all of them, or at least most of them, seem to be professed as a diety on earth, with inhuman powers. Islam, Hinduism, Judaism, Catholics and most of their denominations seem to fall within this catagory.

Now why is that?

Why do there seem to be so many stories of people performing miracles all over the world?

There are numerous interpretations, from 'they all worshipped the same god by different names and images' to 'aliens posing as humans used alien tech to do these miracles' to 'religons exagerated, embelished, and romanticised their respective stories to include ideas of the unreal to gain supporters'. All are equally valid, since evidence exists for none of them, aside from written accounts.

But whenever you hear a person say they 'just know' or they attribute the curing of some malidy or solving of some problem to a diety, just keep in mind the placebo effect. It can work wonders on the human psyche.

This isn't meant as a bash against religion, but consider all sides of the discussion.
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#13New Post! Jun 21, 2010 @ 02:50:14
dupe
ThePainefulTruth On May 06, 2013
Verum est Deus

Deleted

Peoria, Arizona
#14New Post! Jun 21, 2010 @ 02:54:04
@ThePainefulTruth Said

I think both he and John the Baptizer were very historical, and partners in fact.

I also think the most historical event in the NT was the "cleansing" of the Temple. But Jesus would have cleansed it with a force superior to the Temple Guards (just as Joshua fought the battle of Jerico), and likely held it for the entire day. But God didn't respond to Jesus' supreme demonstration of faith and re-occupy the Temple as Jesus assumed would happen. Many of his followers then deserted or turned on him, and the priesthood then had it pretty easy getting the Romans to crucify him for insurrection.

Gives a new context to, "My God, my God, why hasth thou forsaken me."
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs