The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Relationships:
Parenting

What do you think of a mother who lets her 12 year old daughter drink alcohol?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#16New Post! Jun 13, 2010 @ 04:26:40
I think that is a mother whose children aren't going to completely freak out and go way overboard the first time they hang out and drink with their friends. Alcohol is a topic where education is better than sheltering, and their is no better way to learn about it than to experience it; her mother can teach how to handle herself maturely around alcohol.

@LuckyCharms Said

Given her mother's history I think it is a terrible idea.

I don't know what this refers to though. It probably makes an incredible difference.
LuckyCharms On July 31, 2021
Magically Delicious

#17New Post! Jun 13, 2010 @ 04:47:14
@chisa96 Said

I don't know what this refers to though. It probably makes an incredible difference.

He's got another topic about his daughter. There's a lot of history in there. The mother has alcohol abuse issues as well as emotional issues. Not pretty.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#18New Post! Jun 13, 2010 @ 04:52:40
@LuckyCharms Said

He's got another topic about his daughter. There's a lot of history in there. The mother has alcohol abuse issues as well as emotional issues. Not pretty.

Yeah... My statement doesn't apply to alcoholic mothers. They are not really in a place to demonstrate alcohol responsability for their children.
Karma_Junkie On September 18, 2011
Miss Dizzy Bastard

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Jun 13, 2010 @ 07:41:57
I have given the munchkins alcohol underage before now, but only so that I could control what they were drinking, it was a new years eve party, so I figured I can either let them choose what they wanted or say they can have nothing and have them sneak drinks, the way I did it meant that I was able to control what and how much they were drinking. I don't know the full story of what type of Mother she is, however, I will say this, if my child's Father suddenly turned up after twelve years of absents, no visits, no child support, nothing, and started to criticise my parenting I would knock him out on the spot. tread carefully.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#20New Post! Jun 13, 2010 @ 07:54:53
@mousebox Said

My mother told me I was given a bit of Cognac when I was a baby before my circumcision. but that was normal back then ... glug . .. waaaa .. waaa .. ouch ... hic!

It's not uncommon for parents to give their babies alcohol to get them to sleep. My mum used to give me some brandy in my bottle to help me to sleep through the night. Didn't do me any harm.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Jun 13, 2010 @ 08:07:23
I'd rather let my 12 year old have a drink with me and show them how bad it feels the morning after than doing it in a park with her friends where anything could happen to her.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Jun 13, 2010 @ 09:48:01
Depends on what cider it is and how often. Its not good to form the habit of taking alcohol on a certain date or day because this can lead to psychological attachment to alcohol.

A 12 year old liver is not really cut out for booze.

On the other hand if she wants to act grown up or peers are doing it and she will go do it regardless of parental guidance it is better to control and monitor.

A child taking alcohol regularly is likely to develop psychological dependence.

Perhaps it would be best to encourage your daughter to build on her health. I appreciate that you have only just started to see her. Maybe have regular swimming together or go to the gym or hike or go wall climbing.

If you can get her into health she might just make the decision not to use alcohol all on her own.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs