Philosophy

More Intelligent Design

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
stumblinthrulife On April 16, 2008

Deleted

Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
#1New Post! Jan 05, 2006 @ 18:08:39
So, after the courts ruled that ID couldn't be taught in science classes, I heard this morning that one school intends to offer an ID class as an elective philosophy class.

I'm not sure that it's philosophy, I still hold it under theology, but that's not the argument here.

Local parents organisations are complaining that it doesn't adequately cover evolution, and that all ID speakers must be matched with an evolution speaker.

Isn't this having your cake and eating it? I mean, we got ID out of the science class, which I'm all for. But if we argue ID out of the science class, how can we argue evolution into the philosophy classes? If we wanted them side-by-side we had that option - ID in science.

Discuss!
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#2New Post! Jan 05, 2006 @ 18:49:09
Sounds fine to me!

Let's add elective "Modern Monotheist Hierarchical Philosophy" classes to our public schools as well.

These people are insane. They already have their churches and their preachers and their mass. Let them teach their made-up BS there. Why do they need it in public schools?
baker63 On March 29, 2007

Deleted

, United States (general)
#3New Post! Jan 14, 2006 @ 16:44:07
Philosophy covers pretty much everything. This is a type of issue that should be dicussed and argued in a philosophy class. I think that it makes good sense.
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#4New Post! Jan 14, 2006 @ 16:52:38
I think it's sad that people still associate ID with organised religion as all the creationists scientists that are on the cutting edge of any science that seeks to explaine the universe don't believe in god in the personal way people in organised religion do.

Ahh well there are way more important things they DON'T teach in schools that would help students more then any common class.
Somtimes I think people are kept ignorant to a certain degree intentionally.
portlandcouple On June 17, 2006

Portland, Oregon
#5New Post! Jun 10, 2006 @ 11:39:31
"kept ignorant to a certain degree intentionally", Ya think?
shaggyjebus On August 26, 2008

Deleted

Goodlettsville, Tennessee
#6New Post! Jun 10, 2006 @ 11:48:04
I think the argument between evolution and intelligent design should be taught in a philosophy class . . . so as to examine how people can act so f***ed up sometimes.

Seriously though, wouldn't the point of teaching intelligent design in a philosophy course be to teach only intelligent design? They don't teach philosophy classes about Nietzsche and talk about Descartes half the time, do they?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs