The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Technology & Internet:
Web Design & Coding

bought a domain name on godaddy......what now?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
aneil On February 20, 2023

Freeport, Trinidad and Tobago
#1New Post! Jun 07, 2010 @ 00:41:12
hi, i bought a domain name on godaddy.com.
i now have no idea what to do. i thought i would get my ftp login info at this point but there are alot of strange options.

help?
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jun 07, 2010 @ 00:46:16
What do you plan to do with the site?

Most hosters will have options to build some form of site and there's shedloads of tutorials online to look at

#3New Post! Jun 07, 2010 @ 00:50:18
theres alot of options and some of them are extra things to buy.
i want to install wordpress to the site but im not seeing any options to upload stuff.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Jun 07, 2010 @ 00:51:35
Easiest thing is to contact the hosters, let them know what you're looking to do and get them to sort it out for you
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#5New Post! Jun 07, 2010 @ 01:31:47
You don't need to pay for an FTP client, you can just use the Firefox FTP client, it installs right into Firefox as an add-on. Once you have FTP client open, you enter your username and password, and you'll then be logged in and be able to see the file structure of your website. Any files or directory you want on your website, you'll need to upload to the "public_html" folder.

#6New Post! Jun 07, 2010 @ 01:46:00
@Lili Said

You don't need to pay for an FTP client, you can just use the Firefox FTP client, it installs right into Firefox as an add-on. Once you have FTP client open, you enter your username and password, and you'll then be logged in and be able to see the file structure of your website. Any files or directory you want on your website, you'll need to upload to the "public_html" folder.

ok cool. i'm using core ftp. i'm only getting the ftp info for one of the names i bought. i bought economy hosting and had to do some stuff after in order to get the ftp info. is this normal?

#7New Post! Jun 07, 2010 @ 01:53:10
ok success with the ftp info for 1 site.
i'm going to start on the other 1 now.
any chance that its the same except replacing the site name where neccessary?

#8New Post! Jun 13, 2010 @ 03:43:05
it turned out i bought 2 sites but one set of hosting. thats why i couldnt find info for the other site.
i still insist that godaddy makes it look super easy until you spend $$$, after that the intructions get sooo complicated and they bombard you with options to spend more $$$.
bigger hosting packages, site-tonight, premium hosting an extra dot-org or dot-net to match the dot-com you bought....
townie_guy On May 07, 2013

Deleted

, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 19, 2010 @ 14:55:37
If you goto the wordpress site, it should have instructions for how to install it to a domain. I think you just unzip it then copy the files and folders to specified locations. AIt isnt an application at the end of the day, but a collection of scripts, so make sure you copy everything to the proper directory.
kuhlmad On November 24, 2011

Cleveland, Ohio
#10New Post! Sep 15, 2011 @ 21:28:53
I'd say download Komodo Edit, it is a good coding environment. You can do javascript, sql, html and php in it. I learned all that in the past few weeks and Komodo edit helped me tons. Good luck, stick with it!
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#11New Post! Sep 15, 2011 @ 21:34:51
GoDaddy is just a registrar and host. You need to make your own site.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#12New Post! Sep 15, 2011 @ 22:05:49
I'm gonna guess that he's gotten it figured out by now, given his current signature and the fact that he started this thread over a year ago, lol

#13New Post! Sep 15, 2011 @ 22:59:00
@Lili Said

I'm gonna guess that he's gotten it figured out by now, given his current signature and the fact that he started this thread over a year ago, lol

lol

yeah, earlier this year i had to register a domain name again and make a new site and i was surprised at how quickly i did everything and how simple it seemed compared to the time i made this thread
lo44 On October 09, 2011

Santiago, Chile
#14New Post! Oct 06, 2011 @ 22:45:14
there are many applications free in hosting business not only FTP client, you can create your own forum with phpBB , management system like WordPress, by which you can change the appearance, add buttons or other content to your webpage , Os commerce, Drupal , Joomla , nucleus all they are free applications.
Certainly, today hosting companies can offer us a wide variety of products, but first we must to be sure what we really need.
I bought a domain name at host-nic few months ago. I´m building my website, and they are helping me at every step. warm people, I recommend them.

#15New Post! Oct 08, 2011 @ 02:49:52
@lo44 Said

there are many applications free in hosting business not only FTP client, you can create your own forum with phpBB , management system like WordPress, by which you can change the appearance, add buttons or other content to your webpage , Os commerce, Drupal , Joomla , nucleus all they are free applications.
Certainly, today hosting companies can offer us a wide variety of products, but first we must to be sure what we really need.
I bought a domain name at host-nic few months ago. I´m building my website, and they are helping me at every step. warm people, I recommend them.

yeah but i get a commission from godaddy
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs