Millions Have Been Killed By The Religious

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#31New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 01:31:01
@NikiNiki Said

I think that everybody has a religion of one kind or another, so saying that violence results from religion is like saying that violence results from noses or toes.

So you are saying that violence does not result from noses and toes?

#32New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 01:34:04
@LuckyCharms Said

Look at the suicide bombers. They believe they are doing good. They even think they will be rewarded for it. The human mind is capable of all sorts of rationalizations.

If not for denial and rationalization I do not believe I could make it through the day. Oh, and coffee, gotta have coffee.
NikiNiki On January 04, 2011

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#33New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 01:36:34
@Erimitus Said

So you are saying that violence does not result from noses and toes?

Well, a philosopher, Hume I think, saic that a cause is a thing that comes before a kind of change, is always before a kind of change, and is closely associated with a kind of change.

Everybody has toes before they become violent.

They always have toes before they become violent.

People are closely associated with their toes.

Ego, toes cause violence.

#34New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 01:38:19
@chisa96 Said

Thankfully? Man, I would give my left arm to have access to the inner workings of a mind like that.

Read Mien Kampf. He said what he was going to do and then he did it.

#35New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 01:39:28
@NikiNiki Said

Well, a philosopher, Hume I think, saic that a cause is a thing that comes before a kind of change, is always before a kind of change, and is closely associated with a kind of change.

Everybody has toes before they become violent.

They always have toes before they become violent.

People are closely associated with their toes.

Ego, toes cause violence.

====
I cannot argue with that...
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#36New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 01:52:15
@Erimitus Said

Read Mien Kampf. He said what he was going to do and then he did it.

I really should; I'll best that's a fascinating read.

#37New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 01:53:52
@chisa96 Said

Which is why, in time periods/places where such harsh punishments exist, it is the institution at fault rather than the individuals who went on the crusades or whatever other examples we were talking about.

====

E: Of course if you do not adhere to the doctrines you are a heretic and your own church may burn you at the stake. So it might be prudent to at least pretend to go along with the crowd. Better a hypocrite that tacked up to a cross wondering why you have been forsaken.

C: Which is why, in time periods/places where such harsh punishments exist, it is the institution at fault rather than the individuals who went on the crusades or whatever other examples we were talking about.

E: if the individual was indoctrinated to believe in a certain way and to make choices based on the indoctrination, then it is the society that is responsible for the action not the individual. I am going to have to think on that point as it is inconsistent with what I have been indoctrinated to believe. Believers who really believe as opposed to those who only pretend to believe. True believers are very dangerous. They are not responsible for their actions. Hmmmm???? Most excellent point.

#38New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 02:00:35
@LuckyCharms Said

Look at the suicide bombers. They believe they are doing good. They even think they will be rewarded for it. The human mind is capable of all sorts of rationalizations.

Suicide bomers seem to have rather strong beliefs. A persons reason for living can be their reason for dying. (Anything worth living for is worth dying for) makes more sense to me to live to bomb another day.
NikiNiki On January 04, 2011

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#39New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 02:11:47
@Erimitus Said

====
I cannot argue with that...

The geography textbook at my school compares cultures by the food, religion, language, economy, government, holidays, location, customs, and I suppose some other things. Probably they all contribute to any kind of behavior. I read somewhere, maybe something about Jane Goodall, that tribes of chimpanzees make war on other tribes of chimpanzees. Do you suppose that chimps have religion?

#40New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 02:28:40
@NikiNiki Said

The geography textbook at my school compares cultures by the food, religion, language, economy, government, holidays, location, customs, and I suppose some other things. Probably they all contribute to any kind of behavior. I read somewhere, maybe something about Jane Goodall, that tribes of chimpanzees make war on other tribes of chimpanzees. Do you suppose that chimps have religion?

Are there any human societies that do not have religion (opinions on the existence of and interactions with a deity)? Are there any animals that show any indication of having a religion? I do not know. I too heard about chips socities breaking into factions or fighting other chip groups for available resources. (for mates too I suppose) But I cannot quote a source. Is hear say a source?
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#41New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 02:31:44
@Erimitus Said

Are there any human societies that do not have religion (opinions on the existence of and interactions with a deity)?

The Inuit people?
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#42New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 02:32:08
@Erimitus Said

Is hear say a source?

Could be, if you got a link to their link.

..sorry...carry on!

#43New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 03:55:27
@sTreetAngeL Said

Could be, if you got a link to their link.

..sorry...carry on!

<chuckle

#44New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 04:07:11
@SparklyKatie Said

The Inuit people?

I googled inuit. Artict poeples had a kind of nature worship. Shamans, equating natural forces to gods.

the indigenous inhabitants of arctic regions, believed that the development of wisdom is the aim of teaching. A person is considered wise when that person knows what needs to be done and successfully does it without being told what to do. Eskimo was a pejorative meaning raw flesh eater.

No record of a Chimp ever building a temple. maybe they are to smart to spend time trying to appease the gods.

#45New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 22:26:53
Summery:

1. If an individual from a group does something bad, it does not make the whole group bad, and it does not make the groups beliefs wrong.

2. There may or may not be a god or gods.

3. Hitler was not very nice. (although he may have thought of himself as nice)

4. Violent people have nose and toes so there may be a correlation between violence and having a nose and toes.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs