Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

The masks we wear

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
kinglegend On May 06, 2007

Brisbane, Australia
#1New Post! Jan 02, 2006 @ 00:56:04
We all are different people around others. HOw different? I have read a bit and thought a bit about this topic lately. Everyone is so 'politically correct' or 'trendy' I understand pretending in a more socially acceptable way in a public setting than you would at home but trying to be something you aren't is ridiculous. We all do it though and I was wondering what other peoples opinions on this topic are?
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Jan 02, 2006 @ 01:02:59
I saw the Mask the other day my favourite bit is when he sings Cuban Pete
osm On March 18, 2016
Kiwi!

Wellington, New Zealand
#3New Post! Jan 02, 2006 @ 01:05:25
@kinglegend Said
We all are different people around others. HOw different? I have read a bit and thought a bit about this topic lately. Everyone is so 'politically correct' or 'trendy' I understand pretending in a more socially acceptable way in a public setting than you would at home but trying to be something you aren't is ridiculous. We all do it though and I was wondering what other peoples opinions on this topic are?

I think you'll find that when people post on here, they are actually thinking more than they would normally... that is what happens with me

Brisbane, Australia
#4New Post! Jan 02, 2006 @ 01:25:39
I don't necessairily think more but I am more me than say around my friends, people are too judgemental nowadays and a lot of people prefer talking to people they don't know. That is one of the main reasons for people pretending to be who they aren't
23886 On June 30, 2009

Banned

#5New Post! Jan 02, 2006 @ 01:28:02
heck, if I think drunk I type drunk! I type what I think without thinking, and think too much before I speak!

Brisbane, Australia
#6New Post! Jan 02, 2006 @ 01:35:22
I was actually talking more about in the world but the net makes it even easier again for people to be someone they are not too lol
poetic_musician On August 24, 2008

Deleted

Bloomfield, New Jersey
#7New Post! Jan 02, 2006 @ 02:04:51
i agree with kinglegend. it's the truth.. nowadays people are so fake.. you can never know most people's true personalities because they feel the need to wear a mask. they feel the need to act like someone else just to fit in. but who can blame them..with the way today's world is so materialistic and the media promotes "perfect people" as the way to live. maybe i'm just rambling.. but it's just what i believe..
mary On June 06, 2006

PORTERVILLE, California
#8New Post! Jan 03, 2006 @ 00:50:09
Yes we all do wear masks of sorts. However unless you are truly sociopathic others will see thru the facade. I do it , you do it and it all depends on the atmoshere you are surrounded with at the moment. I think the worst is when you set out to scam another and pretend and then hurt. I am not a hurt ful person---I hope.
krazy On August 05, 2006

couer d alene, Idaho
#9New Post! Jan 03, 2006 @ 00:58:45
whatever coes to mind i type thats that..at work n a lil n public i am more conservtive about myself bc i am shy person n dont like when ppl laugh at me so ya i sorta have a mask but its hard not too. ppl are judgmentl n mean
sweetrnsugar77 On December 22, 2008

Deleted

My Apartment, Oregon
#10New Post! Jan 03, 2006 @ 01:07:27
I think you are right to a point but what do I know. I have realized something about myself however....ever since I was 15 Ive said to people, if you dont like me....leave. Its that easy, no one is making you kick it with me. If you dont like what I say, dont listen. There are plenty other opinions out there.

I really dont give a rats a** if people like me, and it doesnt always turn out for the better but Im not going to sit around and pretend Im something they want me to be. NOT GONNA HAPPEN.

While I typed this I realize that most of you will probably think "sure, she is just saying that to be different" but to be honest, Ive never really liked the idea of being what people want me to be....cause when they are gone, what are you???
rainshinesmiles On July 24, 2006

Metairie, Louisiana
#11New Post! Jan 03, 2006 @ 03:29:15
Ben Stein: Well Susan, We ALL wear masks... METAPHORICALLY SPPPEAKKINGGG
BabyRS On February 14, 2015

, Singapore
#12New Post! Jan 21, 2006 @ 11:10:32
I think we all have had to wear a 'Mask' at one point or other in our lives.

There is a difference between a 'superficial' mask (one that is used to create a false impression, and / or to beguile) and maintaining a facade... which in strict observance to upholding respect toward others and maintaining a semblence of decorum in society - is inevitably needed.

I guess most of us would constantly maintain a facade. However, I think this instinctive weapon is not necessarily used to create a false impression... rather, it is used to protect ourselves.

To the undiscerning eye, laughter would signify happiness, and tears would show sadness. That arrogant strut means: Hey..I'm Cool. Words of empathy means that you can absolutely trust that person to understand. Sadly though, how much of this is real? More often than not, there's more to it than meets the eye.

Maybe all this has something to do with the human's ability to adapt itself to changes. To mould ourselves as per how the occassion deems it. We are all vulnerable in one way or another, and chances are, naivete at one point in our lives would have made us see how others can cruelly exploit a weakness.

I'm never quick to judge if a person is 'phony' or otherwise - unless he / she makes it soooo blatantly obvious that your hairs prickle and stand on end with every sentence said!

Some of us may be fortunate enough to have friends / family who accepts us the way we truly are... but with people whom we are quite unfamiliar with, or acquaintances, for that matter - I think all of us do try to project our positive aspects. Simply because i.) it saves a lot of explaining and questions ii.) It protects feelings.

Honestly - how many times have we felt the urge to say : "Oh just shut the F*** up, b****"... and what actually came out was : "Ok - you are entitled to your own opinion, but I would have to disagree"

No matter how we carry ourselves in public... so long as we stay true to our beliefs and respect others no matter what theirs are, I think all of us can give Jim Carrey a run for his money anyday!
crazybeck On January 18, 2009

Willenhall, United Kingdom
#13New Post! Jan 23, 2006 @ 15:49:02
i hate having to wear a mask sometimes its sucks!!!!!
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs