The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Should donated organs be given for suicide attempts?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
lajoers3 On April 08, 2013

Saint Marys, Australia
#61New Post! Apr 08, 2013 @ 10:02:45
This is an old one I know but I just came across this and felt the need to respond. I am a 37 year old wife of one and mother of three but more than 20years ago now I attempted suicide twice. My first attempt was just a couple of weeks after my birthday and it wasn't very serious I don't think, in that I took a handful of tablets but aside from making me a little drowsier than usual I was okay. 5months later I attempted again and that time was much more serious. Again it involved a deliberate massive overdose. I was found several hours after the fact and was in intensive care, in a coma for about 3days. I was VERY lucky to be alive. As much as I believed I wanted to die I was as much glad that I survived. I am still reminded of the torturous sound of the screams from the next room who had jumped in front of a train. He obviously had fared not so well - surviving his attempt but yet in massive amounts of pain. I have lived almost 21 years more and I have depression but I have not made another attempt on my life. If someone had of thought that because I had made my second attempt, or because I chose it that I didn't deserve another chance then I would not be here. Of course, as a result my children and future grandchildren, great grandchildren and all future generations of my line would not exist. That said, I don't think that people should make the judgement that a person should be denied treatment whether that includes an organ donation, resuscitation or anything else. Also, after my suicide attempts I came to accept Christ as my saviour and as a Christian I am well aware that there is no such thing as a sinless person so by that standard none of us are worthy of being saved.
Electric_Banana On February 05, 2024

, New Zealand
#62New Post! Apr 08, 2013 @ 10:57:22
@lajoers3 Said

This is an old one I know but I just came across this and felt the need to respond. I am a 37 year old wife of one and mother of three but more than 20years ago now I attempted suicide twice. My first attempt was just a couple of weeks after my birthday and it wasn't very serious I don't think, in that I took a handful of tablets but aside from making me a little drowsier than usual I was okay. 5months later I attempted again and that time was much more serious. Again it involved a deliberate massive overdose. I was found several hours after the fact and was in intensive care, in a coma for about 3days. I was VERY lucky to be alive. As much as I believed I wanted to die I was as much glad that I survived. I am still reminded of the torturous sound of the screams from the next room who had jumped in front of a train. He obviously had fared not so well - surviving his attempt but yet in massive amounts of pain. I have lived almost 21 years more and I have depression but I have not made another attempt on my life. If someone had of thought that because I had made my second attempt, or because I chose it that I didn't deserve another chance then I would not be here. Of course, as a result my children and future grandchildren, great grandchildren and all future generations of my line would not exist. That said, I don't think that people should make the judgement that a person should be denied treatment whether that includes an organ donation, resuscitation or anything else. Also, after my suicide attempts I came to accept Christ as my saviour and as a Christian I am well aware that there is no such thing as a sinless person so by that standard none of us are worthy of being saved.

Totally agree...erm...with exception of the that very last part.

But yeah, I don't think others should be allowed to make judgement calls like that - no matter how they injured themselves, if they need an organ, plug it in if it's available.

Sorry to hear about the depression.

I think most people want to live in a world where we can take things to heart passionately serious and not get hurt but we just have to learn that isn't the case and find ways to bide our time and roll with the punches.
lajoers3 On April 08, 2013

Saint Marys, Australia
#63New Post! Apr 08, 2013 @ 19:45:19
What - you don't agree there is none of us who are sinless? Is it the term sin or my Christian reference you don't agree with? Let me put it another way - nobody is perfect so if we wanted only people who had never made mistakes to be receiving organs there would be nobody to give them to. As for my depression I am pretty good so long as I remember to take my meds and I have a great husband who knows me well enough to recognise changes in my mood before I do.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#64New Post! Apr 08, 2013 @ 19:47:11
I forgot about this thread.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#65New Post! Apr 08, 2013 @ 19:52:41
@Grasshopper Said

Wow... I forgot about this thread.

@Grasshopper Said

I forgot about this thread.

You forgot it twice.
Grasshopper On January 11, 2023
Just me.

Fort Collins, Colorado
#66New Post! Apr 08, 2013 @ 19:54:06
@psycoskunk Said

You forgot it twice.

I even forgot about that post. I have issues.

Wait a year, I will forget again.
psycoskunk On December 24, 2020
Funky-Footed Skunk

A fort made of stinky socks, C
#67New Post! Apr 08, 2013 @ 20:02:22
@Grasshopper Said

I even forgot about that post. I have issues.

Wait a year, I will forget again.

Don't worry about it.

Do you know how many stinky feet threads I've forgotten about or haven't seen? Too many.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs