Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#16New Post! Apr 21, 2010 @ 20:10:05
@SparklyKatie Said

And fell to 163,000 last year. https://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/nov/26/migration-asylum-statistics

That better for you?

I guess!

Although I'd most likely describe it as less bad!
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Apr 21, 2010 @ 20:24:15
@SparklyKatie Said

And how would you stop illegal immigration just to ask? Stop all shipping into the UK? Wire lorry chassis up to the electrical system so people can't cling underneath them?

The BNP talk about ending illegal immigration, I've yet to get an answer as to how they would do that.

Tighten our controls on visas and the like for a start. Despite the headline stories of people hiding in lorries, the majority of 'illegals' are overstayers, people given legal entry who then fail to leave when that visa runs out.

The BNP and their supporters are, by and large, ignorant scum. However, their message on immigration is striking a chord with people who are usually pretty mainstream. The number of votes they received in the European elections are testament to that. My concern is if the major parties continue to bury their heads in the sand, support for the more extreme political parties will continue to rise.
SparklyKatie On March 07, 2014
\m//O_O\\m/

Sheffield, United Kingdom
#18New Post! Apr 21, 2010 @ 20:33:41
@GeneticAnomaly Said

Tighten our controls on visas and the like for a start. Despite the headline stories of people hiding in lorries, the majority of 'illegals' are overstayers, people given legal entry who then fail to leave when that visa runs out.

The BNP and their supporters are, by and large, ignorant scum. However, their message on immigration is striking a chord with people who are usually pretty mainstream. The number of votes they received in the European elections are testament to that. My concern is if the major parties continue to bury their heads in the sand, support for the more extreme political parties will continue to rise.

Countries with the most strict visa controls still have overstayers there is NO WAY to police that, unless you have a bright idea, tagging every non-UK resident like a criminal perhaps? The BNP are striking a chord yeah with uninformed, ignorant people who don't do their own research. And they prey on that.
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Apr 21, 2010 @ 20:40:24
@SparklyKatie Said

Countries with the most strict visa controls still have overstayers there is NO WAY to police that, unless you have a bright idea, tagging every non-UK resident like a criminal perhaps? The BNP are striking a chord yeah with uninformed, ignorant people who don't do their own research. And they prey on that.

Crime is also a fact of life, doesn't stop us having a police force that targets those crimes with the high political interest.

The difficulty of an issue should not be the determining factor on whether it is addressed.
\m//O_O\\m/

#20New Post! Apr 21, 2010 @ 20:42:45
@GeneticAnomaly Said

Crime is also a fact of life, doesn't stop us having a police force that targets those crimes with the high political interest.

The difficulty of an issue should not be the determining factor on whether it is addressed.

Ok lets say the immigration and emmigration figures evened out. How would you stop people overstaying their visas? I hear loads moaning about it but what could actually be done to stop it?

It's not difficult, it's pretty much impossible to stop.
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#21New Post! Apr 21, 2010 @ 20:57:37
@SparklyKatie Said

Ok lets say the immigration and emmigration figures evened out. How would you stop people overstaying their visas? I hear loads moaning about it but what could actually be done to stop it?

It's not difficult, it's pretty much impossible to stop.

Better controls, more effective policing of those controls, greater efforts to locate the overstayers, streamlined procedures for removing overstayers.

Given the will and adequate resources, I'm pretty sure it would be possible to make it much less easy for people to simply disappear.
\m//O_O\\m/

#22New Post! Apr 21, 2010 @ 21:01:18
@GeneticAnomaly Said

Better controls, more effective policing of those controls, greater efforts to locate the overstayers, streamlined procedures for removing overstayers.

Given the will and adequate resources, I'm pretty sure it would be possible to make it much less easy for people to simply disappear.

Riiiight.
Wellard On April 29, 2012
ect.. .

Deleted

In your Mind, Cape Verde
#23New Post! Apr 21, 2010 @ 21:09:44
@SparklyKatie Said

The BNP talk about ending illegal immigration, I've yet to get an answer as to how they would do that.

ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Apr 21, 2010 @ 21:42:05
@GeneticAnomaly Said

streamlined procedures for removing overstayers.

I'm not entirely sure it's people overstaying their visa's - people also get the WRONG visa - a Student Visa, when they aren't actually studying for example.

But we can't deport someone without a passport, so all an illegal has to say is that they 'lost' it. Then, the Border Force has to apply to the embassy of wherever they are from (once they have the details), which could take ages. Though I dunno what can actually be DONE about it
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Apr 21, 2010 @ 22:22:11
@GeneticAnomaly Said

Although, in fairness to the OP, there doesn't appear to be a problem with immigration in Scotland. The Scotsman newspaper didn't even list immigration as one of the twelve options when it took a poll of the most important election issues.

Got to say this is true, it's really not an issue here. Immigrants are rarely mentioned in any Scottish political issues, or ever really.

There are pockets of immigrants (Aberdeen and parts of Glasgow) but the rest of Scotland proportionately doesn't receive as much immigrants as the rest of the UK. Also worth mentioning is the majority of immigrants to Scotland are Eastern European or 'Slavic' which makes them white. Whilst this shouldn't be an issue by all rights, seeing a high amount of non-white people does make people more aware of immigration in this country unfortunately. With almost all Scottish immigrants being white it is less 'noticeable' in comparison with parts of England.

Not excusing any side in this, just clarifying that from a Scottish perspective (and therefore my perspective) immigration isn't as much of an issue as it probably is to England.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs