The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Society & Lifestyles

WHAT KIND OF MOTHER/FATHER ARE YOU ANYWAY?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
gabbysmom93 On May 02, 2010

Chickamauga, Georgia
#1New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 20:57:04
I'm just wanting to know....

How do you raise your children? What are the rules around your house? What do you do as reward to your children for being good? Or punishment for being bad? With your children, what is your moral code? This topic goes for anything to do with parenting. Completely open discussion.
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#2New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 21:05:04
@gabbysmom93 Said

How do you raise your children? What are the rules around your house? What do you do as reward to your children for being good? Or punishment for being bad? With your children, what is your moral code? This topic goes for anything to do with parenting. Completely open discussion.

my kid is only 4 months old so i don't have many of those type of issues yet. but i plan on being a parent first
becka_w On May 01, 2010

New York City, New York
#3New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 21:24:15
@gabbysmom93 Said

I'm actually a hands on mom, to my three year old son. His name's Kyle. Well, for rules, there aren't any for now...since my mom and dad, practically spoils him, anyway. When, he's being bad, I just do reverse psychology.... I just think, that when you become a parent, you would eventually know how to be one...however, there are really those times when you think, you could do a lot better, but still you seem to be making all the mistakes. That's part of being a parent, you need to be caring but at the same time fair and just when it comes to your child's mistakes.

Chickamauga, Georgia
#4New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 21:35:37
that's not true. The second they r born, you start planning. What r the main things u r going to teach our child? I'm not diggin into anyone's business. I have 2 kids and I'm just curious
becka_w On May 01, 2010

New York City, New York
#5New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 21:39:15
@gabbysmom93 Said

that's not true. The second they r born, you start planning. What r the main things u r going to teach our child? I'm not diggin into anyone's business. I have 2 kids and I'm just curious

Wow!!! Two kids...how old are they?
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#6New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 23:07:59
I don't have any children (yet) but as of right now, these are my thoughts:

What are the rules around your house?
Inside voices
Please & Thank yous
Homework is to be done before dinner (if plausible)
Pick up after yourself after an activity (or you risk losing the priviledge)
Be respectful

What do you do as reward to your children for being good?
Outings
Dessert
Movie night

Or punishment for being bad?
Time outs
Plausible spanking
Loss of priviledges
Getting sent to their room
No dessert

With your children, what is your moral code?
Patience
Manners (Please, thank you, no thank you, ect.)
The Golden Rule
Communication Let others be heard, then make yourself heard in a respectful manner. Talk things out.

I don't want to be a yelling mom.
I want to keep my cool, talk things out, and come to a mutual understanding.
Carly's Mommy

#7New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 23:09:07
I want to have three main priorities(??) in my family/house:

Love, Faith, & Happiness

Practice them and live them.
smallBUTTerflies On January 07, 2020
Weaker than homeopat

Plymouth,
#8New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 23:12:01
I don't have kids but this is what my parents go by

Do your damn homework
Pick up your stuff
Don't light things on fire
No sex

Going out to dinner
Money
Itunes credit

No internet
Go to bed
Yelling
Yelling
More yelling

Never use conditions as your excuse. Our family is known for striving for sucess.
Education is key
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#9New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 23:12:15
@Kristy69 Said

Inside voices
Please & Thank yous
Be respectful

Outings
Dessert
Movie night

Time outs
Plausible spanking
Loss of priviledges
No dessert

Patience
The Golden Rule
Communication Let others be heard, then make yourself heard in a respectful manner. Talk things out.

You've been thinking this up since you were five havent you
Carly's Mommy

#10New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 23:13:55
@deeFXCKINGjay Said

You've been thinking this up since you were five havent you

As a matter of fact I have!
kaydoh On December 19, 2011

nottingham, United Kingdom
#11New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 23:18:29
I Guess my moral code is: No Shouting at people. Sharing your things with your friends, Don't hit ever, when I say bedtime I mean bed time. Eating nicely ie not chucking food about, basic table manners and manners in general.

My son is almost four. I don't really do smacking unless it's for a very strong deterrent against a dangerous activity. I guess as awful as it sounds I found the best method is to simply walk away from him whilst letting him know I am not happy. That gets results, or alternatively have him sit on the mat in front of the front door for a few minutes, it usually works but I don't do that too often now as he's getting to the age where I can talk to him about his behaviour and why it's unacceptable.

If he's good I give him lots of praise, sometimes treats or I let him help me prepare food, which he loves to do. We have goals such as at the moment we are still having some pooping issues and he knows when he figures it all out there's a huge reward coming.
Carly's Mommy

#12New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 23:20:42
OH! And something I feel strongly about is tolerance for other people, cultures, ect.

I want to teach my kids from an early age that being different is okay, that different families are okay. Like, two moms or two dads, for instance.
bob_the_fisherman On January 30, 2023
Anatidaephobic

, Angola
#13New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 23:49:45
@Kristy69 Said

Inside voices
Please & Thank yous
Be respectful

Outings
Dessert
Movie night

Time outs
Plausible spanking
Loss of priviledges
No dessert

Patience
The Golden Rule

Gee, I can't tell that you don't have kids!
I bet you'll yell at them several times... it seems like a human thing to do...

Anyway, the kind of dad I was... Firstly, I used to give my son heaps of hugs and kisses, tell him I loved him, spend lots of time with him, talk to him etc. I figured that any mistakes I made could be mitigated by him knowing that I loved him.

I only spanked him maybe once, if ever, as I didn't need to. When he was about 4 or so, we were in a shop and he started having a tanty cos he wanted chocolate. I said no, cos he had been naughty that day. He was rolling around on the floor screaming and carrying on, and I just walked out of the shop and left him there. After a few seconds he realised I had gone and came running outside looking for me. He came trotting up behind me, head down, redfaced, and I said, "you feel like a bit of a tool dont ya?" He nodded. I said, "You won't do that again will ya?" He shook his head. And, he never did!

Patience, love, understanding that your child is an individual, and that some discipline stratagies will not work, are important.

Chickamauga, Georgia
#14New Post! Apr 14, 2010 @ 23:50:19
My two kids are 4 and 18 months. Since I asked, I better answer for myself. I'll admit I'm fairly strict. My main thing is respect for others. I don't want my kids interupting, shouting inside or at other people, the usuall stuff. When it comes to my kids expressing themselves, I'm open minded, to an extent. I allow my four year old to pick out the clothes she wants me to buy for her, within reason. She is actually my stepdaughter, but I still look at her as though she is my own. Her life has been hard, but I still don't let up on my rules. They r the same with her as they are with mine. I do spank my children when it calls for it ( so hardly ever. kids are kids )I let my kids play in the mud, and get dirty. They are both extremely outdoorsy ( if that is a word ). When they're good, I spend too much money on them. And when they're bad, it's time out, no company, no dessert, the everyday punishment. I guess I'm an everyday, run-of-the-mill parent.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs