Philosophy

Causal Determinism:

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#16New Post! Mar 28, 2010 @ 02:51:33
Thank you for responding to my post. I will get back to it soon.

#17New Post! Mar 29, 2010 @ 12:46:14
Respose to V post #9

V: The energy expenditure has not been a significant factor, only DETERMINATION.

E: In this context determination means intention, free will, and a fixed purpose.

Hard determinists called Incompatibilists argue that determinism and free will are mutually exclusive and that free will is an illusion.
These Incompatibilists do not believe that determination (Free Will) is possible and they argue that mind is a physical process governed by the physical laws of causality, that mind is in the causal chain, and that behavior, thoughts, and feelings are a response to stimuli, so choices and actions are the result of external causes.

#18New Post! Mar 30, 2010 @ 00:48:31
V: I have looked up determinism and it means everything is predestined and free will is only an illusion.

E: That is an acceptable definition of determinism. I metaphorically defined the causality of determinism as a game of Newtonian billiards on a Euclidian table. If you can find my essay ?Puppet of Fate? it is a brief explanation of some of my ideas on determinism. I am a neophyte in this investigation of determinism and all of my statements are really questions presented for addition and correction. Maybe I will use semicolons instead of periods to show that my ideas are incomplete. Disclaimer: ?I am not an authority on this subject (or any subject) nor do I ever hope to be an authority. I am playing in the sandbox of philosophy while I wait for rigor mortis to set in. All I have to offer is questions.

V: If that is so then I did not chance upon your thread at all and our discussion here is part of a plan.

E: A plan posits a planer. The gods do not plan, they have no choice. They want homeostasis and that is the direction that they have to take. Volitional action interferes with homeostasis and the gods move things back into a balance that we see as chaos but actually are fractals.

---

V: I choose to believe in free will.
E: I like that.

#19New Post! Mar 30, 2010 @ 03:56:18
V: At the physical level science seems to infer that time does not exist.

E: time is a measurement;
Time measures intervals between events;
The interval between events depends on the frame of reference of the observer;

----

V: ?past present and future exist together.

E: yes, now is the only time that it ever is; Memory happens now, anticipation happens now, sensory perception happens now; There is nothing other than now;

----

V: it is interesting to think that I WILL succeed in climbing that mountain or painting that picture because I have already done it.

E: please explain

----

V: "Polish" analogy: By my deciding or determining to learn Polish I did incrementally get to a tipping point where I changed the whole parabola my life would follow. Perhaps it is not even necessary to get to a tipping point? Is this not an argument for free will and against Determinism?

E: Yes, you are correct, I did not understand, I still do not understand, please explain.

E: Deciding or determining is a choice, an exercise of free will;
The choosing is an assumption of free will;
If: free will
Then: free will
Cant argue with that.

E: There (is) a point at which force overcomes resistance (tipping point/threshold/point of no return) and at that point the cause becomes the effect;

E: On the simultaneity of cause and effect:
The white billiard ball strikes the colored billiard ball and at that point in space-time cause and effect are the same (i.e. simultaneous);
That point in space-time is the now and the now is the only time that it ever is;
Consciousness exists in the now;

E: If we assume the mind is physical, then it is in the causal chain, and controlled by causality, so actions and thoughts are determined;

E: If the mind is not physical (Cartesian) then it is not in the causal chain and not controlled by causality and there is free will;

E: The question is,?is the mind physical??
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#20New Post! Mar 30, 2010 @ 04:02:36
The mind is physical. When someone can hit you over the head and change you- memories, identity, perception, then it seems to me the mind is physical.

Awareness is physical because without the mind defining I there is no me or you or us.

Without a body, there is no mind... no I, me, mine. Or is there?

But, I'm probably wrong and have misread the post. Sorry.

#21New Post! Mar 30, 2010 @ 10:06:58
Response to SM post # 20

SM: The mind is physical.
When someone can hit you over the head and change you- memories, identity, perception, then it seems to me the mind is physical.

E: the brain is physical. And if the brain is altered the mind is altered. A brain can exist independent of a mind. Can a mind exist independent of a brain?

SM: Awareness [consciousness] is physical:
Without the mind defining [I] there is no me or you or us.

E: the mind defines the self. [If no brain then no mind and If no mind then no self] The only purpose of the body is to keep the brain alive and the mind is in the brain.

SW: Without a body, there is no mind... no I, me, mine.
Or is there?

E: I do not know
vodkafan On July 06, 2011

London, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Apr 04, 2010 @ 03:21:01
@Erimitus Said

V: I have looked up determinism and it means everything is predestined and free will is only an illusion.

E: That is an acceptable definition of determinism. I metaphorically defined the causality of determinism as a game of Newtonian billiards on a Euclidian table. If you can find my essay ?Puppet of Fate? it is a brief explanation of some of my ideas on determinism. I am a neophyte in this investigation of determinism and all of my statements are really questions presented for addition and correction. Maybe I will use semicolons instead of periods to show that my ideas are incomplete. Disclaimer: ?I am not an authority on this subject (or any subject) nor do I ever hope to be an authority. I am playing in the sandbox of philosophy while I wait for rigor mortis to set in. All I have to offer is questions.

Hi E, your disclaimer is unnecessary.

V: If that is so then I did not chance upon your thread at all and our discussion here is part of a plan.

E: A plan posits a planer. The gods do not plan, they have no choice. They want homeostasis and that is the direction that they have to take. Volitional action interferes with homeostasis and the gods move things back into a balance that we see as chaos but actually are fractals.

You believe in more than one god? And why do you believe they have no choice? If they are bound by physical laws then to me they are not gods at all, only genies (engineers if you will) As you have mentioned God The God I envision (e a creator) is outside of his creation and is not part of our time and space. But he can interfere at will, is omnipotent. He only allows s*** to happen. Why is another question.
About chaos, I read a whole book about chaos theory and it still didn't explain what or why it actually existed. Small variations in all types of cycles in a system build up to a crucial point where the whole system is destabilised. You are tying your gods into chaos theory? Please explain this more E.
---

V: I choose to believe in free will.
E: I like that.

So do I.

London, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Apr 04, 2010 @ 03:46:58
@Erimitus Said

V: At the physical level science seems to infer that time does not exist.

E: time is a measurement;
Time measures intervals between events;
The interval between events depends on the frame of reference of the observer;

----

V: ?past present and future exist together.

E: yes, now is the only time that it ever is; Memory happens now, anticipation happens now, sensory perception happens now; There is nothing other than now;

----

V: it is interesting to think that I WILL succeed in climbing that mountain or painting that picture because I have already done it.

E: please explain

----

V: "Polish" analogy: By my deciding or determining to learn Polish I did incrementally get to a tipping point where I changed the whole parabola my life would follow. Perhaps it is not even necessary to get to a tipping point? Is this not an argument for free will and against Determinism?

E: Yes, you are correct, I did not understand, I still do not understand, please explain.

E: Deciding or determining is a choice, an exercise of free will;
The choosing is an assumption of free will;
If: free will
Then: free will
Cant argue with that.

E: There (is) a point at which force overcomes resistance (tipping point/threshold/point of no return) and at that point the cause becomes the effect;

E: On the simultaneity of cause and effect:
The white billiard ball strikes the colored billiard ball and at that point in space-time cause and effect are the same (i.e. simultaneous);
That point in space-time is the now and the now is the only time that it ever is;
Consciousness exists in the now;

E: If we assume the mind is physical, then it is in the causal chain, and controlled by causality, so actions and thoughts are determined;

E: If the mind is not physical (Cartesian) then it is not in the causal chain and not controlled by causality and there is free will;

E: The question is,?is the mind physical??

Sorry E you have pretty much lost me on all of this. But I will try to explain what I meant.
What I meant about climbing the mountain: Free will says I choose to climb the mountain. Therefore, my mind has created the condition in which I climb the mountain. Therefore, in the future I climb the mountain. As Block time posits that past present and future exist together, I have already climbed the mountain.

You mentioned past as memory and future only as anticipation. I don't think that is what scientists mean by block time. If everything is determined then the future is known (to God I guess)and exists. I will have to read up more on that.

What I meant by tipping point is that I may decide to do something Ie learn Polish. But not put enough effort in. So my small effort will be dissipated and the situation will not change. So how much I want something is important. Mental energy rather than physical energy.

I feel that mind is not physical. I have no evidence for this unless subjective reports of out of body experiences are taken at face value.
I believe that mind straddles an individual human existence. ie it is attached to a soul at one side. The brain is only the physical seat of the mind.

London, United Kingdom
#24New Post! Apr 04, 2010 @ 04:03:50
I guess Erimitus that I am sort of arguing (or posing questions-I am not trying to argue as such) on both sides at once.

I feel that a strong integrated mind is a sort of generator at the quantum level which creates choices (ie free will) which then imposes my intentions as causal events .
You have heard of "good luck" people who seem to land on their feet and everything comes to them. They are confident, positive individuals. Yet the other side of the coin are negative people who seem to attract bad luck. Maybe individuals create their own "luck" and their minds are actually imposing their will on their environment;
However this is perilously close to a definition of Magic.

Religious people traditionally don't like this idea because they want there to be a God in charge.
I am interested in hearing more of your opinions on God or gods- I was surprised you brought it up.

I will have to read up more about time..I am sure Einsteins TOR is where the idea of the block time comes from, Time is not the constant, the speed of light is.....am I talking bollocks?

The arrow of time may be only in our minds.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs