"Bloody Sunday" 45th Anniversary

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#16New Post! Mar 07, 2010 @ 21:38:06
@sheepy Said

Maybe people in the UK and Ireland need to check out Spinkies link before commenting. "Bloody Sunday" is usually thought of as something entirely different over here - Spinkie is posting a link to something in black history in an entirely different struggle

@tomysandy Said

Dude we've hijacked this thread enough, everyone needs to stop and read the OP link.

Right......thank you!!

Chicago, Illinois
#17New Post! Mar 07, 2010 @ 21:40:04
@Lfc1892 Said

It hurts me badly watching that, It reminds me of horrible times that i experienced in crossmaglen when i was a kid, The ira shouldn't have done what they did but your government created the monster inside of them, The way catholics were treated in the north after 1916 was disgraceful, No catholics could get a job and they were forced to flee there homes because loyalist mobs burned them out. Nobody can justify the violence that happened but if you look back on history it was expected, People died for nothing but this could have been avoided if winston churchill decided to give us back all Ireland, I know for a fact every decent british citizen would want a 32 county solution, Unionists and loyalists stand in the way of making history and finally putting it to bed.

Hey I understand completely......I have been learning Irish history from the man i'am dating and soon to be married to.....he is 100% Irish!!
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#18New Post! Mar 07, 2010 @ 22:02:01
Really either one of the Bloody Sundays the one here in the US or the one in Ireland would be on topic in a thread about the past and what our grandparents and parents did for the civil rights we have today.
The story linked to in the OP says many black and white demonstrators were beaten to a bloody pulp for dareing to demand equal rights for all Americans all the violence that day was done by the cops , The link to Ireland's Bloody Sunday has very similar story and all that violence was done by soldiers and British authorities who were cleared of blame for the deaths caused that day .
Thanks to both the OP and the poster with the Ireland link . Being an American of Irish decent both stories 'hit close to home' for me.

Chicago, Illinois
#19New Post! Mar 07, 2010 @ 22:11:41
@iwannano Said

Really either one of the Bloody Sundays the one here in the US or the one in Ireland would be on topic in a thread about the past and what our grandparents and parents did for the civil rights we have today.
The story linked to in the OP says many black and white demonstrators were beaten to a bloody pulp for dareing to demand equal rights for all Americans all the violence that day was done by the cops , The link to Ireland's Bloody Sunday has very similar story and all that violence was done by soldiers and British authorities who were cleared of blame for the deaths caused that day .
Thanks to both the OP and the poster with the Ireland link . Being an American of Irish decent both stories 'hit close to home' for me.

Kudos...you are correct.....thank you for that! it's just so crazy to me that this even had to happen...here or anywhere in the world!! Thanks for your insight!
Lfc1892 On August 10, 2010

Deleted

Dublin, Ireland
#20New Post! Mar 07, 2010 @ 23:36:08
@tomysandy Said

In fact most British people believe self determination.
66% of the people of Northern Ireland want to stay part of the UK, with 23% want to be part of a United Ireland. So to unite Ireland would be against the populations wishes and expressly against the ideals of democracy and what both countries, the UK and Ireland, are built on

Would this be the fact that northern ireland was predominantly protestant at the time? The population is nearly half and half now and it's only a matter of time before we get our island back. A nation once again.
Lfc1892 On August 10, 2010

Deleted

Dublin, Ireland
#21New Post! Mar 07, 2010 @ 23:42:25
@Spinkiegirl Said

Hey I understand completely......I have been learning Irish history from the man i'am dating and soon to be married to.....he is 100% Irish!!

We put up with so much bulls*** for hundreds of years you would think the decent noble thing would be to give us back what they stole from us, The dissident republicans will not go away, It's only a matter of time before something devastating happens in the north.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs