The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Mainstream media and New York strikers...

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
pissyjoey On January 21, 2007

Midwest City, Oklahoma
#16New Post! Dec 23, 2005 @ 19:27:12
@el_tino Said
The transit strikers of NYC earn more money than 50% of the population of NYC. I have no sympathy for striking for that kind of pay. Especially when the people most screwed by the strike are people who make less money than the transit workers themselves.

$45K year in new york? I know peopel there making like $20K and they don't strike and screw up other people's incomes in the process.

20K in New York is probably close to the poverty level and we should be pissed that they have to live that way. We should not be commending the poor for their meager lifestyle and using that as the example for others. It is a fact that countries with strong labor unions have higher standards of living for the general population. But in this country, not only is business allowed to smash the unions and government allowed to imprison strikers, but the general population (if this forum is any indication of the general population) is telling the unions to shut up and be happy with what they have.

A strong labor movement equates with higher living standards for the population as a whole. The vast concentration of wealth, which is more extreme in the United States than in any other industrialized nation, and the high poverty rate (also higher in the U.S. than in any other developed nation) is fought by our labor unions. They fight for a more just society. They fight for us.

Certainly, New Yorkers were upset, but as I noted earlier, 60% of those commuters SUPPORTED the strikers. New Yorkers seem to know what a strong labor movement means to the country, unlike most people in this forum.
kebab_boy On April 05, 2011

Bristol, United Kingdom
#17New Post! Dec 23, 2005 @ 20:40:47
Quote:
the general population (if this forum is any indication of the general population)is telling the unions to shut up and be happy with what they have.

I would tell them that if they're getting paid 45K a year and striking at Christmas.

If you say 20K is close to the povity line in New Yorke, then 45K in NYC, although not the best wage there, should be sufficient, so the unions do not have anything to complain about.
pissyjoey On January 21, 2007

Midwest City, Oklahoma
#18New Post! Dec 23, 2005 @ 22:48:04
It will never cease to amaze me the way that Americans can undercut their own living standards. This country is a robber baron's wet dream.

Over the past few decades:
-Worker's wages have barely kept up with inflation while CEO pay has risen over 400 percent.
-Our country has the highest infant mortality rate (the rate at which babies younger than 1 die) than any other industrialized nation yet we have the most advanced medical system in the world.
-The poverty rate has always been high and the middle class is currently getting pinched (if you haven't noticed).
-Funding to send our children to decent schools is cut and is diverted to buy bombs that send Iraqi children to local morgues.

There are problems and unions fight to spread the wealth out to the people in a society.

Do any of you punch yourself in the face when you wake up in the morning? Do you ask yourself how you can screw yourself over each day? That is what you are doing when you oppose unions and support our business run society.

AGAIN! 60% of New Yorkers supported the strikes even though it meant they would have to walk in the cold. New Yorkers placed the blame where it belongs: on the miserly paymasters.
kebab_boy On April 05, 2011

Bristol, United Kingdom
#19New Post! Dec 23, 2005 @ 23:26:57
@pissyjoey Said
New Yorkers placed the blame where it belongs:
on the miserly paymasters.

But it does not seem to me like they were miserly in this case.

I do agree with what you are saying about the povity levels there though. The government needs to do something about that.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#20New Post! Dec 23, 2005 @ 23:32:34
@el_tino Said
The transit strikers of NYC earn more money than 50% of the population of NYC. I have no sympathy for striking for that kind of pay. Especially when the people most screwed by the strike are people who make less money than the transit workers themselves.

$45K year in new york? I know peopel there making like $20K and they don't strike and screw up other people's incomes in the process.

I agree they cost a lot of hardship for people that makes much less than them. They were just being greedy I think.
reiko On March 27, 2006

Deleted

New York, New York
#21New Post! Dec 23, 2005 @ 23:34:11
@pissyjoey Said

AGAIN! 60% of New Yorkers supported the strikes even though it meant they would have to walk in the cold. New Yorkers placed the blame where it belongs: on the miserly paymasters.

I don't believe that number. I don't know one person here that supported what the workers did.
tigerwoman On March 31, 2012

Mufreesboro, Tennessee
#22New Post! Dec 23, 2005 @ 23:52:12
It doesn't matter what time of year it is...people MUST stand up for themselves. There are other modes of trasportation. With how high the cost of living in that area is it any wonder they went on strike?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs