The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Music

What do you think about the musical artists of today?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#1New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 18:17:54
In my recording technology class the other day, we were talking about the use of Autotune and processors to change the vocals of modern music. Whether or not all of you realize it, almost every single popular artist uses these tools when recording in the studio. Some of the most obvious would be Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Tobey Keith, Ke$sha, Madonna, Britney Spears, T-pain, Cher, Ashley and Jessica Simpson, Carrie Underwood, Hilary Duff, Katy Perry, the Jonas Brothers, Lady Gaga, Usher, so on and so forth. Even if the artist can sing well, they are often overly processed in the studio simply to get a certain tone or warmth to their voice. Now artists have "teams" that process their voices while they sing live. Miley Cyrus is one of these artists. Even though she can't actually hit a middle "e", her team can adjust her while she sings so that she appears to hit that note.

So it seems very obvious to me that this is the new trend and this is where music is going. I find that most people are on opposite sides of the fence; either they think that the artists are "frauds" or they accept this as a new type of art form. I want to know what you guys think. Are you accepting of the fact that in a few years most major artists will be singing with "crutches" and you will almost never hear their natural voices? Or will you refuse to support them and boycott their music.
KulliK357 On July 15, 2013
Sausage Snowman

Dingwall,Scotland, United King
#2New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 18:21:54
The reason i don't listen to the overly manufactured pop music is not because it's all done with computers, it's because it's s***.
Asmodeus0girl On August 23, 2011

Pleven, Bulgaria
#3New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 18:24:16
I usually don't care how the artist sings, I judge a song by the message it holds.
Of course, the artist should have some tallent, but it isn't so important to have the best voice.

, California
#4New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 18:29:47
Oh and just as a fun side note, I actually messed around with Autotune the other day (the studio I just started working for has Pro Tools HD and it comes with the Antares Evo pitch correcting). I wanted to recreate the "glitchy" robot sound effect like Kesha uses in that ridiculously popular song "Tik Tok". In order to get that "skip" in the vocals you literally have to sing at least a fifth off of the written key signature, because that's the only way to "overload" the software and create the "glitch" sound effect. The fact that artists purposely sing as horribly as possible to attain this is dumb founding to me.
Evil_Incarnate On December 03, 2013

Winter Haven, Florida
#5New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 19:22:04
Honestly, I've made the statement to people in the past, when you think of the top 25 all time greatest musicians/bands, how many of them from 2000 on that have broken, have a chance in hell of making the list? It should say a lot about the current music when even teens are starting to listen to AC-DC, Led Zep, The Stones, The Beatles, Metallica, Ozzy, Sabbath, and all the older acts, in place of many current acts. Nothing really against the current scene, just that there are too many bands trying to be different, just to be different. I'm more of a metal guy, but I can listen just about anything, but the more recent stuff, from newer artists has been killing me.
mamakat On April 08, 2010

Deleted

, Canada
#6New Post! Feb 15, 2010 @ 20:01:32
x_Laura_x On March 13, 2023

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Feb 16, 2010 @ 01:08:28
I'm not actually much of a fan of music of the 2000s. I like Beyonce and Lady Gaga. I like a number of alternative/indie rock bands but that's about it
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#8New Post! Feb 16, 2010 @ 01:10:53
@Evil_Incarnate Said

Honestly, I've made the statement to people in the past, when you think of the top 25 all time greatest musicians/bands, how many of them from 2000 on that have broken, have a chance in hell of making the list? It should say a lot about the current music when even teens are starting to listen to AC-DC, Led Zep, The Stones, The Beatles, Metallica, Ozzy, Sabbath, and all the older acts, in place of many current acts. Nothing really against the current scene, just that there are too many bands trying to be different, just to be different. I'm more of a metal guy, but I can listen just about anything, but the more recent stuff, from newer artists has been killing me.

Damm right! The bands today can't hold a candle to the above list!

With the way they do things now, you or I could get on stage and do as good. I mean, just what have they earned?
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#9New Post! Feb 16, 2010 @ 01:10:58
I don't judge by artists. I listen to the music by the lyrics they've implemented and how it can reminds me of my own life experiences and people I've met in my life. That's why for me, the "boring, weird, I-dont-know-why-you-would-listen-to-that-crap" country musics are my favorite!! I don't mind what other people think.
sTreetAngeL On January 24, 2022
root tedt ree

in a paradox,
#10New Post! Feb 16, 2010 @ 01:18:15
@Ko Said

I don't judge by artists. I listen to the music by the lyrics they've implemented and how it can reminds me of my own life experiences and people I've met in my life. That's why for me, the "boring, weird, I-dont-know-why-you-would-listen-to-that-crap" country musics are my favorite!! I don't mind what other people think.

Well yeah, true; but they are 'real' in what they do. They don't sing using a crutch as the OP is saying, but from real talent.
sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#11New Post! Feb 16, 2010 @ 01:25:05
I have disliked pop music for a long time, and it only too clear as to why I don't like it, overproduced, bubble gum songs for girls who have no taste in music, and now auto tune..even you forgot to include Kanye West in the list, but there you go...it seems it is going to be used a lot from now on....and I can't stand it

Now I do know that there are ladies who do like indie music, and I am not on about them. I have loved indie music since the early 80s, the music is more refreshing than the gunk that C(r)apital Radio and Radio 1, dare I say it, throws out for the kids these days

, California
#12New Post! Feb 16, 2010 @ 01:26:37
Well yes and no. Country music is almost as guilty as the rest of the pop world when it comes to using processors to warm up vocal sound and autotune for pitch correction. Miranda Lambert, Tobey Keith, Keith Urban, The Wreckers, Taylor Swift, and many, many others use these technologies on a very regular basis. They just don't overkill it to the point where it's obvious to the ear.

I also generally listen to the lyrics and tune, and use those to decide if I like a song. But, 80% of the songs you listen to are written or co-written by someone else. The artist is the record label's "tool" that they manufacture and use to create profit for their corporation above all else.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#13New Post! Feb 16, 2010 @ 01:28:44
In the old days, getting a script/book/album out was hard. That filtered out most of the crap. Beyond that, you had editors/producers/A&R people to filter out more crap. Yeah, sometimes they got delusional with trends, but in general, they filtered out most of the s***ty goo. In this age of technology and information, everybody can put out a record/book/film, so everybody does, whether or not they are any good at it, making it harder to separate the wheat from the crap since there is so much crap. Just because it is easier for anybody to put out an album/book/movie today, it doesn't mean it makes more Hemingways/Beethovens/Hitchcocks.
JuanSmith On September 11, 2020
Shilsh-Aash yatasay

Near Eucalyptus Trees, Califor
#14New Post! Feb 20, 2010 @ 23:22:08
@magically_delicious Said

In my recording technology class the other day, we were talking about the use of Autotune and processors to change the vocals of modern music. Whether or not all of you realize it, almost every single popular artist uses these tools when recording in the studio. Some of the most obvious would be Miley Cyrus, Taylor Swift, Tobey Keith, Ke$sha, Madonna, Britney Spears, T-pain, Cher, Ashley and Jessica Simpson, Carrie Underwood, Hilary Duff, Katy Perry, the Jonas Brothers, Lady Gaga, Usher, so on and so forth. Even if the artist can sing well, they are often overly processed in the studio simply to get a certain tone or warmth to their voice. Now artists have "teams" that process their voices while they sing live. Miley Cyrus is one of these artists. Even though she can't actually hit a middle "e", her team can adjust her while she sings so that she appears to hit that note.

So it seems very obvious to me that this is the new trend and this is where music is going. I find that most people are on opposite sides of the fence; either they think that the artists are "frauds" or they accept this as a new type of art form. I want to know what you guys think. Are you accepting of the fact that in a few years most major artists will be singing with "crutches" and you will almost never hear their natural voices? Or will you refuse to support them and boycott their music.

well considering the radio plays whatever they want nowadays I guess we're stuck listening to overly processed crap. but some of this crap is pretty catchy.. so whatever..
now Get back to makin some money..
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs