Religion

Self Interest

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7
perchild On June 13, 2012

Winston Salem, North Carolina
#91New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 04:18:53
The important concept to regulate behavior is balance. One must balance self interest with concern for others. When one end of the scale drops too far then we notice antisocial behaviors.
perchild On June 13, 2012

Winston Salem, North Carolina
#92New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 04:27:29
Some people seem to derive a perverse joy from bashing Christian beliefs. And they think they are doing it with impunity. Realize something... the freedom they enjoy to express their thoughts freely--to do so without oppression--that freedom comes from laws established and governed by Christian principles and beliefs. Nations governed by Christian principles have more freedoms and liberty than those governed by Muslim and Islam powers. North Korea, arguably the most restrictive and oppressive of countries, is in such a state because it does not tolerate worship of any god other than the ruler of the country.
NikiNiki On January 04, 2011

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#93New Post! Mar 09, 2010 @ 06:01:38
I know I said that I would leave this discussion, find my fairy godmother, and ask her to enchant the pumpkin, but since this is my thread, I should welcome Mr Perchild to TFS.

So welcome, Mr Perchild, and will you tell us how Muslim power differs from Islam power?

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#94New Post! Mar 13, 2010 @ 18:33:11
My fairy god mother, (aka Louie's mother) enchanted the pumpkin. It took us to the Spring Dance, but instead of four horses, it must have had four hundred. After the dance, my girlfriends and I had a sleep over; and we watched A Man Called Peter, which is a movie about a man who follows God's will.

It's not as heavy as it sounds because it's also a Kleenex-box love story. The movie doesn't say how he knows God's will, but he thinks he does know. At times of crisis in his life God spoke to him, something like Saint Paul, Billy Graham, or, I suppose, Elmer Gantry.

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#95New Post! Mar 20, 2010 @ 13:30:07
My Irish friend, Lupe, slept over last night. We watched Precious, a movie about how the welfare system destroys people's lives. The next time somebody sneers at me for suggesting that self interest is a normal, positive thing; I'm going to ask them to watch this movie because it shows how focusing on the O causes gross mayhem, a subject about which Lupe and I have some experience.

Deleted

Villa Park, California
#96New Post! Jul 05, 2010 @ 23:32:18
I have learned a new word, which helps describe how self interest relates to common interest.

This summer, I met a priest, who moonlights as an historian. He says that during the eighteenth century, educated people did not try to deny that we all have self interest. They felt that acting in self interest would be good; but they thought that even though they had self interest, they could act with disinterest, which meant that they would act for the common interest when their self interest conflicted with the common interest.

Maybe I should have titled this thread, Self Interest and Disinterest.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 ...5 6 7

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs