Apple Computers

The iPad

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
norma_sue On August 08, 2010

, United States (general)
#46New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 02:26:19
biggest problem with the ipad is the cost, it is actually ridiculous how they are pricing it.

?429 is the base model, with a tiny 16GB storage and no 3G, which is frankly embarrassing.

What would be a fair price? Have you tried one out?

@mark_is_god Said

biggest problem with the ipad is the cost, it is actually ridiculous how they are pricing it.

?429 is the base model, with a tiny 16GB storage and no 3G, which is frankly embarrassing.

to get 3G you need to pay ?100 extra, that is simply stupid, ?100 pound extra for something that comes standard on basically all phones other than budget ones.

add on, or to be more precise, subtract the lack of multitasking and flash, and it is far to limited in functionality.

also the lack of usb and memory card slots is terrible, imagine if any other company produced a similar device lacking both of "features", they would be ostracised for it.

frankly for ?529 i could buy a well specced 13" laptop, which has dozens of more features than the ipad and is capable of being used for actual work, minus the feeling of wanting to kill your self due to the limitations of touch screens.

or if you really want a touch screen internet tablet, wait a couple of months for the avalanche of new tablets.
mark_is_god On June 26, 2015

antrim, Ireland
#47New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 03:36:32
@norma_sue Said

What would be a fair price? Have you tried one out?

well considering the ipod touch costs around ?170, and as the ipad offers little extra than the ipod touch other than the bigger screen and more powerful hardware, i can not see how it is worth so much extra money.

base model, 16gb ipod touch = ?149
base model, 16gb ipad = ?429
difference ?280

highest model, 64gb ipod touch = ?260
highest model, 64gb ipad 3G = ?700
difference ?440

as for what i would consider fair, for the base model ipad, no more than ?300 and ideally closer to ?250

and the highest model, ?700 is complete joke, at most it should cost the same as the base model, ?429.
paying ?270 extra for a slightly bigger hardrive and 3G, is ridiculous.

not to mention the data plans they are offering are a ripoff.

#48New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 03:57:27
I have a ipod and a ipad, I love them both, watching full HD movies while heading down the road is great...

I got the unlimited data plan and wifi as well.

@mark_is_god Said

well considering the ipod touch costs around ?170, and as the ipad offers little extra than the ipod touch other than the bigger screen and more powerful hardware, i can not see how it is worth so much extra money.

base model, 16gb ipod touch = ?149
base model, 16gb ipad = ?429
difference ?280

highest model, 64gb ipod touch = ?260
highest model, 64gb ipad 3G = ?700
difference ?440

as for what i would consider fair, for the base model ipad, no more than ?300 and ideally closer to ?250

and the highest model, ?700 is complete joke, at most it should cost the same as the base model, ?429.
paying ?270 extra for a slightly bigger hardrive and 3G, is ridiculous.

not to mention the data plans they are offering are a ripoff.

antrim, Ireland
#49New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 04:09:56
@norma_sue Said

I have a ipod and a ipad, I love them both, watching full HD movies while heading down the road is great...

I got the unlimited data plan and wifi as well.

but that's the thing, i have no problem with the ipad as a device, i think its a bit niche, but i generally have no problems with the concept.

for what it made for, internet and media, it does pretty well, only lack of flash lets it down, although not by a lot.

its just the price i have a problem with, the base model costs substantially more than a well specced netbook, which is more than capable of performing the functions the ipad does plus more.
and the highest model costs more than, a well specced full sized laptop.

for what it is, a internet and media tablet, its too expensive, although clearly a lot of people disagree.

#50New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 04:11:42
I bet the price will come down as newer ones come out, hang in there. You might even see used ones hit the market soon.

antrim, Ireland
#51New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 04:18:05
@norma_sue Said

I bet the price will come down as newer ones come out, hang in there. You might even see used ones hit the market soon.

and that's another point, i really don't understand why people pre-ordered this, when there will be dozens of similar devices released soon, some of which will inevitably match or even surpass the ipad in quality.

#52New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 04:21:07
@mark_is_god Said

and that's another point, i really don't understand why people pre-ordered this, when there will be dozens of similar devices released soon, some of which will inevitably match or even surpass the ipad in quality.

I preordered mine and it was on the doorstep the day it came out. The wifi only came out first, the 3g about a month later, so I had time to dream and read. I guess my guy will learn to sleep with his wallet.
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#53New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 13:09:39
@mark_is_god Said

There seems to be no indication that there's anything on the horizon that will match or surpass the iPad in quality.

There's no history of this happening, either, in the MP3 or smartphone market. The iPhone still dominates and, years after release, others are just starting to catch up in the user interface and handset quality departments. And they're just catching up as Appl is a couple of weeks from releasing a powerful, massively upgraded new device.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#54New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 13:35:20
I don't really know anything about them, but is there anything you can do with an iPad you can't do with a laptop?

As far as I can tell it's sort of like a mix between an iPod touch and a laptop yet too big for the convenience of the iPod and too small for the capabilities of a laptop.

Or am I talking out my arse?
jonnythan On August 02, 2014
Bringer of rad mirth

Deleted

Here and there,
#55New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 13:40:56
@jmo Said

I don't really know anything about them, but is there anything you can do with an iPad you can't do with a laptop?

As far as I can tell it's sort of like a mix between an iPod touch and a laptop yet too big for the convenience of the iPod and too small for the capabilities of a laptop.

Or am I talking out my arse?

Not exactly, no. But there's nothing you can do with an iPhone that you can't do with a laptop.

It's a different device entirely. Laptops don't have large touchscreens. Laptops don't weigh less than a kilo.

It's a unique device, and I think it's an error to think of it in terms of whether it's "as good as" other types of devices.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#56New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 13:45:34
@jonnythan Said

Not exactly, no. But there's nothing you can do with an iPhone that you can't do with a laptop.

It's a different device entirely. Laptops don't have large touchscreens. Laptops don't weigh less than a kilo.

It's a unique device, and I think it's an error to think of it in terms of whether it's "as good as" other types of devices.

What I was thinking was the only reason I'd get an iPod Touch or an iPhone would be for the convenience, but I'm unsure whether there is much to be gained from an iPod, the advantages seem minimal. Not really sure though, I can't afford expensive apple products anyway.

antrim, Ireland
#57New Post! May 17, 2010 @ 19:03:29
@jonnythan Said

There seems to be no indication that there's anything on the horizon that will match or surpass the iPad in quality.

There's no history of this happening, either, in the MP3 or smartphone market. The iPhone still dominates and, years after release, others are just starting to catch up in the user interface and handset quality departments. And they're just catching up as Appl is a couple of weeks from releasing a powerful, massively upgraded new device.

depends on how you define surpass, some of things apple does i.e the touch screen quality and OS, have yes, only recently been caught up to, by rival manufacturers.

but there are plenty of areas in which apple has been surpassed long ago, especially in the mp3 department, and this is coming from someone who owns a ipod.

and in regards to these new net tablets that are springing up, i suspect apples will be overtaken even quicker, as the likes of android powered devices are all over the place, and also the possibility of a web OS hp device.
k1ll3rk1d On May 18, 2010

, Wisconsin
#58New Post! May 18, 2010 @ 00:56:45
Lol it's a giant iphone. Who the hell wouldn't want that! :p
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs