Supreme court opens doors to corporate campaign spending

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#16New Post! Jan 24, 2010 @ 06:32:38
@shinobinoz Said

Unfounded eh? We presented fact. We get none in return only personal attacks.

Really? So where's your proof that this has anything to do with the so called "wacko right"? There's no fact in such an accusation, just opinion based solely on the fact that you aren't right of center.
shinobinoz On May 28, 2017
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#17New Post! Jan 24, 2010 @ 06:41:55
@crazylikeafox Said

Really? So where's your proof that this has anything to do with the so called "wacko right"? There's no fact in such an accusation, just opinion based solely on the fact that you aren't right of center.

OK- so the fact that the right leaning judges have become activist and gave away our small voice in favor of non-person corporation isn't wacko?
crazylikeafox On June 02, 2017

McKinney, Texas
#18New Post! Jan 24, 2010 @ 10:11:23
@shinobinoz Said

OK- so the fact that the right leaning judges have become activist and gave away our small voice in favor of non-person corporation isn't wacko?

I've always questioned the logic behind calling judges Right Wing or Left Wing. It isn't their job to make decisions based on politics, but on the letter of the law. Furthermore, you STILL have the right to vote, REGARDLESS of what this ruling does. You're voice isn't destroyed.
sAeGeSpAeNe On October 05, 2021
Part-time Nidologist

The other Bristol..., Connecti
#19New Post! Jan 24, 2010 @ 17:38:00
@shinobinoz Said

They have no where near the money of CEO's and corporations. This ruling just locked real "persons" out of our first amendment rights and gave it to false entities that are not persons.

Whether we like it or not, the entities are indeed recognized as "individuals" under the law.... And, like it or not, the same lawyers that have created this conundrum will also be complicit in the destruction and the demise of our nation, only because the majority of people have been, for so long, silent, and have allowed these creepy bastards (the lawyers), dressed as our Senators and Representatives, to continue to work -- not for the ultimate benefit of their constituents! no, but -- for the benefit of 'special interests' and, sadly, their own personal gain. This is not an accusation, but a fact, to be verified by the examination of any of the legislation that has been passed, over the last sixty years, laced with 'pork-barrel fat' and sweetheart-deals, the dreaded and allegedly despised 'ear-marks' which, we have been told, will not be permitted "...in this administration." The only thing that can possibly rescue the nation is a surge of individual actions directed at changing the modus operandus of our government. I foresee dire times ahead, and unless we agree to put the name-calling aside, and take some common-sense actions, together, there could very well appear on our political horizon a revolutionary ground-swell this country that has not been seen in well over 200 hundred years.

Stop staring at the trees, for a moment. Step back, and look at the forest...
Part-time Nidologist

#20New Post! Jan 24, 2010 @ 20:47:05
@shinobinoz Said

Hey- I posted my link. Did you forget to knock yourself out?

It seems that lately, each time I read one of you postings, it is you who knocks me out, with your overwhelmingly lopsided view of things. That's 'lopsided,' at least, in my view.... and perhaps due to my inability to understand your reasoning. You must realize, I'm sure, that if an idea is not expressed in a manner which is persuasive, both emotionally and logically, to whom it is directed, the idea is as good as a beam of light being projected onto a rock, worthy of a moments glance....

I read the linked item in Tino's post. I read the link you posted to freespeechforpeople.org. I confess, I have gotten more from FSP than I have gotten from your own postings. Now, you wouldn't want me to shoot the messenger, would you?

@shinobinoz Said

I agreed with El Tino's post. No one has countered that. So I was waiting for some educated posting. NONE have been forthcoming from the wrong Right! ... Are you relying soley on your link to do your talking or do you have an opinion based on some facts?

The NYT article seems, to me, to portray a factual accounting of what has transpired, and has seen fit to lace that article with it's own suppositions, reasoning and conclusions as well.
@The New York Times]
When the case was first argued last March, it seemed a curiosity likely to be decided on narrow grounds. The court could have ruled that Citizens United was not the sort of group to which the McCain-Feingold law was meant to apply, or that the law did not mean to address 90-minute documentaries, or that video-on-demand technologies were not regulated by the law.Thursday?s decision rejected those alternatives. Instead, it addressed the questions it proposed to the parties in June when it set down the case for an unusual second argument in September, those of whether Austin and McConnell should be overruled. The answer, the court ruled Thursday, was yes.

The act of formulating a decision on the case is the responsibility of the Supreme Court, not the NYT or yours truly. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, we have to thank the multitudes of self-interested lawyers, on both sides of the political spectrum, for selling our freedoms and our rights down the tubes of this now mock-justice. They've done it with their skillful plays on words, saying one thing, while meaning something else -- ever since the end of WWII (that's as far back as I can remember!) -- and the actions, press releases, and statements of our current administration are just more of the same deceit being perpetrated on 'we, the people.' But, I digress.... With all the word-twisting that has gone before us, the Supreme Court -- right or wrong -- has taken those twisted words, and used them to justify their conclusion, which -- if you would care to read the link that I had posted -- was arrived at, in a fair and democratically judicious manner. You won't know that, though, until you get through the entire 183 pages of the decision.

@As Justice Kennedy Said

When government seeks to use its full power, including the criminal law, to command where a person may get his or her information or what distrusted source he or she may not hear, it uses censorship to control thought. This is unlawful. The First Amendment confirms the freedom to think for ourselves.

Now, the Free Speech For People organization, unlike yourself, have gone out of their way, attmpting to present a collection of facts and logical arguments that one can pursue, to understand what has happened and what can be done to counteract the decision. I think I agree with them, that the decision does not seem to be in harmony with the intentions of our Founding Fathers. I also agree that the only way to counteract it, now, would be to make a 'special' amendment to the constitution. Until that time, however, I am in the same damned boat with Obama, ...I have to accept the Supreme Court ruling.

[QUOTE=shinobinoz
Said

I also agree with Stevens:
"The novelty of the Court?s procedural dereliction and its approach to stare decisis is matched by the novelty of its ruling on the merits. The ruling rests on several premises. First, the Court claims that Austin and McConnell have ?banned? corporate speech. Second, it claims that the First Amendment precludes regulatory distinctions based on speaker identity, including the speaker?s identity as a corporation. Third, it claims that Austin and McConnell were radical outliers in our First Amendment tradition and our campaign finance jurisprudence. Each of these claims is wrong."

This is not the fault of the' wrong Right' as you put it, but due to the fact that the members of the Supreme Court are, in the end, individuals just like our members of Congress and the Senate. The numbers of any particular political persuasion change, over time, as does their mindsets. (For example: until last Tuesday, I had no hope of being saved from Obamacare....)

The only reason I have given any effort to this response, I'll have you know, is that I have a respect for the opinion of Spinkiegirl, very much despite our own sincerely opposed political views, and she seems, more often than not, to find something about you to be worthy of praise. Don't let her down. Post responsibly, and with clarity, and you should be able to reap praise from everyone.
Edited: January 24, 2010 @ 20:47
seestraight On May 12, 2010

Lakeland, Florida
#21New Post! Jan 25, 2010 @ 04:56:20
So their constitutional rights should be abridged since SEIU doesn't have as much money? Or maybe you are just thinking of the really big corporations and CEOs and NOT the thousands of small business corporations that operate under S corp rules. Or maybe you are thinking that billionaire George Soros should be able to finance his 501s like moveon.org and others but those evil capitalists only care about money and should not be allowed into the process. Real persons? Or just leftist persons?
seestraight On May 12, 2010

Lakeland, Florida
#22New Post! Jan 25, 2010 @ 04:58:47
@shinobinoz Said

They have no where near the money of CEO's and corporations. This ruling just locked real "persons" out of our first amendment rights and gave it to false entities that are not persons.

My newbiness is showing. The above post was in answer to this one. Thanks.
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#23New Post! Jan 25, 2010 @ 07:28:00
@crazylikeafox Said

I've always questioned the logic behind calling judges Right Wing or Left Wing. It isn't their job to make decisions based on politics, but on the letter of the law. Furthermore, you STILL have the right to vote, REGARDLESS of what this ruling does. You're voice isn't destroyed.

Well, one would think their political views might inform how they interpret the law.

@Saegespaene Said

Whether we like it or not, the entities are indeed recognized as "individuals" under the law....

Not exactly. I don't recall a corporation ever going to jail. They even have their own separate tax system! Are they now "separate but equal" or something?

Quote:
And, like it or not, the same lawyers that have created this conundrum will also be complicit in the destruction and the demise of our nation,

There's one in particular who's especially bent on it.
https://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/us/politics/25bopp.html?scp=1&sq=court%20indiana&st=cse
Part-time Nidologist

#24New Post! Jan 25, 2010 @ 14:59:29
@eL_TinO Said

...Not exactly. I don't recall a corporation ever going to jail. They even have their own separate tax system! Are they now "separate but equal" or something?

Yes, they are,....... Egg-sackly! And their particular differentiated status, when compared to us regular individuals, is all due to the mystical gyrations of the word-weavers....
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#25New Post! Jan 26, 2010 @ 05:17:22
@crazylikeafox Said

BS. For example some areas of the country have only one radio and one TV station that is local. A corporation or special interest with the money you nor I have can buy up ALL available time slots for ads and lock everyone else out. Incorrect- not just the letter of the law but the intent of the law.

cor?po?ra?tion (k?r&#8242;p&#601; r&#257;&#8242;s&#824;h&#601;n)
noun:
a legal entity that exists independently of the person or persons who have been granted the charter creating it and that is invested with many of the rights given to individuals: a corporation may enter into contracts, buy and sell property, etc.
a group of people, as the mayor and aldermen of an incorporated town, legally authorized to act as an individual
any of the political and economic bodies forming a corporative state, each being composed of the employers and employees in a certain industry, profession, etc.

NOUN:
pl. people
Humans considered as a group or in indefinite numbers: People were dancing in the street. I met all sorts of people.
A body of persons living in the same country under one national government; a nationality.
pl. peo?ples A body of persons sharing a common religion, culture, language, or inherited condition of life.
Persons with regard to their residence, class, profession, or group: city people.
The mass of ordinary persons; the populace. Used with the: "those who fear and distrust the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher classes" (Thomas Jefferson).
The citizens of a political unit, such as a nation or state; the electorate. Used with the.
Persons subordinate to or loyal to a ruler, superior, or employer: The queen showed great compassion for her people.
Family, relatives, or ancestors.
Informal Animals or other beings distinct from humans: Rabbits and squirrels are the furry little people of the woods.

1st Amendment
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Giving the inanimate "corporation" more power than "the people" is inherently wrong on so many levels that one cannot fathom how a judge can read this as letter or intent of the law.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#26New Post! Jan 26, 2010 @ 05:19:03
@Saegespaene Said

Whether we like it or not, the entities are indeed recognized as "individuals" under the law.... And, like it or not, the same lawyers that have created this conundrum will also be complicit in the destruction and the demise of our nation, only because the majority of people have been, for so long, silent, and have allowed these creepy bastards (the lawyers), dressed as our Senators and Representatives, to continue to work -- not for the ultimate benefit of their constituents! no, but -- for the benefit of 'special interests' and, sadly, their own personal gain. This is not an accusation, but a fact, to be verified by the examination of any of the legislation that has been passed, over the last sixty years, laced with 'pork-barrel fat' and sweetheart-deals, the dreaded and allegedly despised 'ear-marks' which, we have been told, will not be permitted "...in this administration." The only thing that can possibly rescue the nation is a surge of individual actions directed at changing the modus operandus of our government. I foresee dire times ahead, and unless we agree to put the name-calling aside, and take some common-sense actions, together, there could very well appear on our political horizon a revolutionary ground-swell this country that has not seen in well over 200 hundred years.

Stop staring at the trees, for a moment. Step back, and look at the forest...

We agree!
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#27New Post! Jan 26, 2010 @ 05:22:44
@Saegespaene Said

It seems that lately, each time I read one of you postings, it is you who knocks me out, with your overwhelmingly lopsided view of things. That's 'lopsided,' at least, in my view.... and perhaps due to my inability to understand your reasoning. You must realize, I'm sure, that if an idea is not expressed in a manner which is persuasive, both emotionally and logically, to whom it is directed, the idea is as good as a beam of light being projected onto a rock, worthy of a moments glance....

I read the linked item in Tino's post. I read the link you posted to freespeechforpeople.org. I confess, I have gotten more from FSP than I have gotten from your own postings. Now, you wouldn't want me to shoot the messenger, would you?

Cn you post so that my aged eyes can read?

The NYT article seems, to me, to portray a factual accounting of what has transpired, and has seen fit to lace that article with it's own suppositions, reasoning and conclusions as well.

The act of formulating a decision on the case is the responsibility of the Supreme Court, not the NYT or yours truly. As I've said elsewhere in this thread, we have to thank the multitudes of self-interested lawyers, on both sides of the political spectrum, for selling our freedoms and our rights down the tubes of this now mock-justice. They've done it with their skillful plays on words, saying one thing, while meaning something else -- ever since the end of WWII (that's as far back as I can remember!) -- and the actions, press releases, and statements of our current administration are just more of the same deceit being perpetrated on 'we, the people.' But, I digress.... With all the word-twisting that has gone before us, the Supreme Court -- right or wrong -- has taken those twisted words, and used them to justify their conclusion, which -- if you would care to read the link that I had posted -- was arrived at, in a fair and democratically judicious manner. You won't know that, though, until you get through the entire 183 pages of the decision.

Now, the Free Speech For People organization, unlike yourself, have gone out of their way, attmpting to present a collection of facts and logical arguments that one can pursue, to understand what has happened and what can be done to counteract the decision. I think I agree with them, that the decision does not seem to be in harmony with the intentions of our Founding Fathers. I also agree that the only way to counteract it, now, would be to make a 'special' amendment to the constitution. Until that time, however, I am in the same damned boat with Obama, ...I have to accept the Supreme Court ruling.

This is not the fault of the' wrong Right' as you put it, but due to the fact that the members of the Supreme Court are, in the end, individuals just like our members of Congress and the Senate. The numbers of any particular political persuasion change, over time, as does their mindsets. (For example: until last Tuesday, I had no hope of being saved from Obamacare....)

The only reason I have given any effort to this response, I'll have you know, is that I have a respect for the opinion of Spinkiegirl, very much despite our own sincerely opposed political views, and she seems, more often than not, to find something about you to be worthy of praise. Don't let her down. Post responsibly, and with clarity, and you should be able to reap praise from everyone.
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#28New Post! Jan 26, 2010 @ 05:23:59
@seestraight Said

So their constitutional rights should be abridged since SEIU doesn't have as much money? Or maybe you are just thinking of the really big corporations and CEOs and NOT the thousands of small business corporations that operate under S corp rules. Or maybe you are thinking that billionaire George Soros should be able to finance his 501s like moveon.org and others but those evil capitalists only care about money and should not be allowed into the process. Real persons? Or just leftist persons?

Corporations do not equal the people. Make sense?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#29New Post! Jan 26, 2010 @ 05:25:03
@seestraight Said

My newbiness is showing. The above post was in answer to this one. Thanks.

And yet it got a kudo?
Stnd w Standing Rock

Wichita, Kansas
#30New Post! Jan 26, 2010 @ 05:31:58
@Saegespaene Said

Yes, they are,....... Egg-sackly! And their particular differentiated status, when compared to us regular individuals, is all due to the mystical gyrations of the word-weavers....

Glad we are on the same page regarding this. Why do you think there is not more of an outcry from the repubs or conservs?
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs