The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Teens

Is it normal to not know what I want to do with my life anymore?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#16New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 00:14:36
@Kristy69 Said

Good as in not struggling to pay the bills.
Not living pay check to pay check.
Being able to, not give me kids everything they want, but to give them the opportunity to just say: "Mom can we go shopping?" I can take them out and buy them stuff without "Sorry honey, we can't make it this month. Maybe next month."

To have fun with my kids.
To never let the burden of money fall on them and have them feel guilty about needing or wanting something.
To be able to have a house in an area where someone gets shot or stabbed up the street.
To live in a home big enough to breathe and have space.

Basically, everything that I never had.

I'm trying to avoid turning out like my parents at all costs. And this is the exact reason I take every grade I recieve to heart.

So, to sum up... Good means having money? Rich kids can be miserable and hate their lives, while poor kids could love everything about their childhood... Money isn't the end all be all defining mark of the good life...

That's not to say that you shouldn't go to collage and strive for a good career though... Just don't worry so much... You'll probably get there even if you don't plan out every detail of your life...
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#17New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 00:27:21
@chisa96 Said

So, to sum up... Good means having money? Rich kids can be miserable and hate their lives, while poor kids could love everything about their childhood... Money isn't the end all be all defining mark of the good life...

That's not to say that you shouldn't go to collage and strive for a good career though... Just don't worry so much... You'll probably get there even if you don't plan out every detail of your life...

I don't want to be rich, but I don't want struggling.
You can not struggle and not be rich. It's called middle class.

And to me, yeah, money does mean a better life. Better than I had at least. If we had more money, my life would be way different. It sucks living pay check to pay check.

I don't ever want my kid to be afraid to ask me for new school supplies because they don't want to stress me out. That's not something you put on your kid.
Jason13 On October 22, 2010

Melbourne, Australia
#18New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 00:41:30
@Kristy69 Said

I used to have a 10 year plan set up... but now I don't even know what I want to major in in college or even what career I want to go into.

I don't like feeling so lost.

Kristy, I'll tell ya, the heading of this topic should've been 'IT IS normal not knowing what I want to do with my life' not 'is it'.

Wasn't until I was halfway through 26 that I figured out what I want to do. Now I start uni in a month.
chisa96 On December 29, 2014
Supreme Goddess

Out in Nature, Wisconsin
#19New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 00:42:42
@Kristy69 Said

I don't want to be rich, but I don't want struggling.
You can not struggle and not be rich. It's called middle class.

And to me, yeah, money does mean a better life. Better than I had at least. If we had more money, my life would be way different. It sucks living pay check to pay check.

I don't ever want my kid to be afraid to ask me for new school supplies because they don't want to stress me out. That's not something you put on your kid.

It doesn't have to be so bad as described here.

But the point is that you'll get there without worrying about every detail.
eternus_somnium On April 14, 2021
clinically crackers

, United States (general)
#20New Post! Jan 14, 2010 @ 02:34:56
I'm in the same position- I didn't have a ten year plan, sure, but I had an idea of what I wanted to do. Now i'm beign bombarded with all different options and I have no idea where to start.

All you can do for now is take it day by day and not let it overwhelm you. Do as good as you can in school and let things work themselves out.
WhatNow On April 09, 2010

Farmington, Michigan
#21New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 07:27:48
Me and you both budd, but im 14 so you might think I have no clue on what the hell is going on.
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#22New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 07:59:51
8) It's entirely normal, and far more common than it used to be, life offers so many more options these days.
Don't sweat it, just do whatever you think "might' be right, and ride with it. Your instincts will lead you, your fears protect you, and your dreams torment you, that is LIFE.
As you age and mature your perspective will change, accept that and forget it, it's NO use to you now, lol.
I was a youngster once, I raised three alone, and I've watched a s***-load more, and the ONE thing I know for sure, it's different for EVERY single one, there are no easy ways out, but it's WORTH the effort!
Throw yourself into LIFE, follow your guts, and give yourself MEMORIES that matter, however the tale ends!
Straightup On November 25, 2011

, United Kingdom
#23New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 08:13:12
I think that while it is normal to go through stages of self doubt at your age, it is also very important to have some kind of idea where you are headed.

What happened to your original 10 year plan?
Is there some reason it no longer suits or did you just lose interest?

I know what you mean about wanting to be able to give your kids more than you had, and the battle is already half won in the fact that you do want to strive for better. You will do better.

Also, as a side note, dont be so sure that removing the 'guilt' from your children when it comes to asking for stuff is such a great idea.
I wish I had taught my children a little more respect/guilt for such matters.
After all, they will most likely encounter hardship in their own lives, best they are prepared for it somewhat.
Ko On January 25, 2011
\\m/(>.<)\\m/

949 Orange County, California
#24New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 08:21:17
I've met many who still have not thought about a definite path to take or who can't decide to keep with the prior goal or not. It is common and common mostly for people of your age and those in highschool.

Just try to figure out what you are interested in in all the opportunities given to you. Try to experience and explore. Use all the times. Don't get upset too much. Go for what you feel like, if the new plan or interest no longer interests you, simply move on to the next.

Some haven't even decided even in their college years or university senior years. (That's somewhat late) but then never too late! Experience all opportunities and you will find the right one.
sister_of_mercy On March 11, 2015

London, United Kingdom
#25New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 11:05:29
"The best laid plans of Mice and Men gang aft agley." You can plan as much as you like but chances are nothing will turn out as you expect it to. Although I've planned out what I want to do when I'm older, I'm beginning to rethink a lot of it, but that's how it goes I guess as you grow up. I know a lot of people at uni who still have no clue what they want to do when they graduate.
Michael718 On March 16, 2010
.... Evil genius?

Deleted

Caprica City, United Kingdom
#26New Post! Mar 14, 2010 @ 11:08:55
Hell yes. I've never known what I want to do and still don't. MaybeI'll work s*** jobs half the year then spend the rest travelling round tinpot countries. I don't exactly see myself doing a career for 50 years then retiring... Not my style, really. For a start I don't have the attention span and second I'd want to die of boredom.

So, (not talking about myslef for a second ), I think the point I'm making is that its cool to just drift and see what happens. Things you plan are never as exciting as the ones that just happen.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs