Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#16New Post! Aug 30, 2011 @ 17:51:10
@simplydiffer Said

Remember the poetic writings of Garth Brooks? The amazing Brooks and Dunn (why did they end it!!!)? These guys were just enough pop to still be considered country and likable to the general public. They were 85% country 15% pop, which is the way it used to be. Now country music stars are taking a page from Shania Twain, Leann Rimes, and Faith Hill (just "Breathe" ). Artists like Taylor Swift (who I love, but i have to be honest) are 60% pop and 40% country are sounding more like soft rock less like "The Boot Scootin' Boogie". All new artists that get mainstream airtime on CMT Pure or whatever are mostly basically soft rock. So is REAL country dead? If so, who can revive it?

To me, Garth Brooks isn't even Country. I find that era of 'Country Music' to be too 'pop like'

@GaryL Said

Wearing cowboy hats and boots does not make one a country western music star. Real country western died out long before these people ever even thought of stepping up to the plate.

I agree.

I grew up listening to my grandmothers country records. Conway Twitty, Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, Johny Cash and many others of their time. Now THAT was and is still Country Music in my eyes.
TomGH On October 16, 2011

Seoul, Korea (South)
#17New Post! Oct 16, 2011 @ 23:28:59
What is the country ? We can't assume that gerne of music.
Now The concept of the Gerne is just tools for viewing convenient.
Although a lot of country was changed, does not differ greatly from old.
magically_delicious On October 27, 2020

, California
#18New Post! Oct 17, 2011 @ 00:54:54
I did a research paper on the genre of country music, the trend of late 80's/early 90's country was a response to the movie "Urban Cowboy," which caused country music and ideals to become popular. This was the first time country music basically took popular music and added some steel guitar. The result is now called "Modern Country". I'd say everything past '85 falls into the modern country bracket, including Garth Brooks and Clint Black, and what most people on this board probably consider real country.

Real country music literally pre-dates 1984, at least by music industry standards. If you want to listen to the old style song form, you can find it in Americana, Folk, and Bluegrass.
Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#19New Post! Oct 17, 2011 @ 01:10:20
Hank Snow
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams SENIOR

Props.
JR_Sanford On August 02, 2017

Portland (St. Johns), Oregon
#20New Post! Oct 17, 2011 @ 01:17:04
@simplydiffer Said

Remember the poetic writings of Garth Brooks? The amazing Brooks and Dunn (why did they end it!!!)? These guys were just enough pop to still be considered country and likable to the general public. They were 85% country 15% pop, which is the way it used to be. Now country music stars are taking a page from Shania Twain, Leann Rimes, and Faith Hill (just "Breathe" ). Artists like Taylor Swift (who I love, but i have to be honest) are 60% pop and 40% country are sounding more like soft rock less like "The Boot Scootin' Boogie". All new artists that get mainstream airtime on CMT Pure or whatever are mostly basically soft rock. So is REAL country dead? If so, who can revive it?

I remember the "Old Country" music where if you played the song backwards, their woman would come back, their dog would still be alive, their truck would be running, and they'd still have a job.

J.R.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#21New Post! Oct 17, 2011 @ 02:23:57
country hasn't been the same since western came along...
...or is it vise a versa

Classic Movie Line #5

TheMightyOz On March 17, 2015
Awooga!

Luton, United Kingdom
#22New Post! Feb 15, 2012 @ 12:04:45
Having recently bought the Pistol Annies album and the latest Kellie Pickler album I can report that real country is definitely not dead.
BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#23New Post! Feb 15, 2012 @ 12:06:53
I dunno, I heard these two for the first time at the Grammys, and fell in love. I think they're more bluegrass, though. They are wonderful!

Eaglebauer On July 23, 2019
Deleted

Saint Louis, Missouri
#24New Post! Feb 15, 2012 @ 12:14:50
@BozieFozie Said

I dunno, I heard these two for the first time at the Grammys, and fell in love. I think they're more bluegrass, though. They are wonderful!

I like it.

I was on a classic country kick lately, taking a hiatus out of early 80s hardcore

This is one of my favorite gems from that era:

The Civil Wars are good though, and if you like them you might also enjoy The Dead Weather (The album Horehound to be specific) and Scott H. Biram.
Willi On August 21, 2018

northinmind,
#25New Post! Feb 15, 2012 @ 17:16:33
Blues Brothers at bob's country bunker
"that aint no hank williams song"

BozieFozie On May 19, 2022
Life's a Beach

Paradise, Florida
#26New Post! Feb 16, 2012 @ 12:06:04
Not that they are particularly "country", but I've been researching Ronnie Van Zant and Lynyrd Skynyrd......who can beat the sound of Southern rock............DUDE!!!!!!!!

restoreone On January 30, 2022

, Ohio
#27New Post! Feb 16, 2012 @ 12:54:00
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#28New Post! Feb 16, 2012 @ 13:35:56
@BozieFozie Said

Not that they are particularly "country", but I've been researching Ronnie Van Zant and Lynyrd Skynyrd......who can beat the sound of Southern rock............DUDE!!!!!!!!

I think Southern Rock is quite country anyway. It's good to have a little rock in your country.

I'm a little obsessed with this guy at the moment, he's sort of southern rock/country.

Dark_Tink On December 30, 2018
<3 Boobie <3

, Canada
#29New Post! Feb 16, 2012 @ 13:40:34
@ninozara Said

I think Southern Rock is quite country anyway. It's good to have a little rock in your country.

I'm a little obsessed with this guy at the moment, he's sort of southern rock/country.

OMG! That's "Lindsy McDonald" from Angel ! Cool.
ninozara On April 30, 2020

Cheshire, United Kingdom
#30New Post! Feb 16, 2012 @ 13:49:18
@Dark_Tink Said

OMG! That's "Lindsy McDonald" from Angel ! Cool.

I know! That's how I found out about him - he sang on the show, I did some quick internet stalkering and hey presto, FAN! (That was about 7/8 years ago, but he's in a new show now which he performed on and I got back into him).

It does help that he is sex on legs though
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs