Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
young_nick On December 11, 2010
The Dude

Auckland, New Zealand
#31New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 22:08:48
@davii Said

Wouldn't the double influence the original by changing the information the original sees in that example - the price would go up far earlier as the double trades, while the original watches, thereby influencing the original not to trade that stock when he becomes the double and so on?

Looks like another Grandfather Effect to me

Yeah probably. He would be better to check the prices before turning the machine on, so he would arrive at the time when the prices were what he thought they were.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 22:15:08
@young_nick Said

Yeah probably. He would be better to check the prices before turning the machine on, so he would arrive at the time when the prices were what he thought they were.

Arriving in the past ignorant to [what was] the present. Bit questionable what benefit that would bring though I'd guess, as there's no information to base a decision.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#33New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 22:20:20
Then again, if the double leaves a marker, say a particularly odd price etc, against a stock, the original would know to trade that particular one

Guess that relies on the marker being spotted each time and would collapse the second the original fails to spot it...
ssnot_me On February 01, 2016

big D, Texas
#34New Post! Jan 04, 2010 @ 22:31:16
@Erimitus Said

Time travel into the past is not physically possible. First of there is no place to go. The past is gone; there is no destination for the time traveler. Then there is the contradiction of a person traveling into the past and changing it; the changed event will have both happened and not happened. Also, there is the possibility of anomalous causal chains. The time traveler could be his or her own parent, kill a progenitor, or kill him or her self.

Please offer some counter arguments.

Time travel is not possible with out physical location travel. It would take all 4 dimensions to even think about going backwards. Look it this way, if all you did was travel in one dimension, ie time, the Earth would move out from under you. It is always in motion in our solar system and in the galaxy and in the universe.

As far as to changing events, I guess that depends on how the time line actually works. If there are multiple time lines then when you go back in time, you create a new time line, while your original one keeps on going. It there is only a single time line then you could alter the past and change your future. But also that brings into question the Grandfather paradox.

I tend to feel that if we did travel to the past, a new time line would be created.
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#35New Post! Jan 06, 2010 @ 01:11:08
@ssnot_me Said

Time travel is not possible with out physical location travel. It would take all 4 dimensions to even think about going backwards. Look it this way, if all you did was travel in one dimension, ie time, the Earth would move out from under you. It is always in motion in our solar system and in the galaxy and in the universe.

As far as to changing events, I guess that depends on how the time line actually works. If there are multiple time lines then when you go back in time, you create a new time line, while your original one keeps on going. It there is only a single time line then you could alter the past and change your future. But also that brings into question the Grandfather paradox.

I tend to feel that if we did travel to the past, a new time line would be created.

I find the multiple time-line idea difficult to accept.
If it is so, there must be billions of new time-lines being created every second, or if there isn't, WHAT determines their creation?
Even allowing that maybe only humans create them, that's still six billion lives doing so right now, and many billions more before us, and that's entire Universes springing into existence at every turn, a hard thing to explain or accept, for me.
The moving planet/solar system/galaxy problem doesn't seem un-solvable, if you can "fix" the space element of the "space/time" locus to enable a change to the time element. That would not seem unreasonable to me.
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013