Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
El_Tino On October 12, 2023
booyaka!

Albuquerque, New Mexico
#46New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 06:39:23
@rocket48 Said

Actually Tino, I never heard mention of anyone making an issue until the media and papers applauded the fact that she was the first openly lesbian and made history.

Hey, I'm just going off what I read.

"Throughout the campaign, Ms. Parker tried to avoid making an issue of her sexual orientation and emphasized her experience in overseeing the city?s finances."
"Ms. Parker?s sexual orientation did not become an issue in the race until after the general election produced no winner and led to a run-off between her and Mr. Locke, who is black and enjoys strong support among African-American voters."
"But the ugliest attacks came from a group of black pastors who spoke out against Ms. Parker for what they called her gay agenda and two separate anti-gay advocates who sent out fliers in the mail calling attention to her support from gay groups and to her relationship with her partner. "
https://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/13/us/politics/13houston.html
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#47New Post! Dec 15, 2009 @ 07:55:32
@rocket48 Said

Jennifer, please come see Texas some time. We have the best state and the best people here.

> Gun toting? Americans do have a right to bare arms.
> Redneck good ol' boys? And whats the problem with that?
> Extreme right wingers? Again, whats the problem?

Should everyone be liberal and gay for you to make this a perfect world? We accept others, but don;t forget, even us red neck, gun totin, right wingers have rights and should be respected.

Talk about being judged! I know you didn;t mean any disrespect, but there are good straight white men left in this world and we feel that we are the most discriminated people left in the USA.

Fair comment, Rocket and points taken.

You are absolutely right in your statement that Texans too, have rights. Nobody could object to that, and from where I sit, a long way across the big water I hope you wouldn't think I ever said they shouldn't have rights.

But can I ask you...... Do you really care what the rest of the world thinks of you....? There is a perception abroad, of Americans that is negative and I cannot believe that you actually like that. Or at least, don't care about it.

When you say I was being judgemental, what I actually did was to reflect this broad view. Yes, you do have the right to bear arms, and as long as you do so only in your own country and only use them to kill each other then who are we to complain.? And yet, the US gun lobby attempts to influence people beyond the US borders to adopt the American way. I have lost count of the number of discussions I have been involved in where some very forcible opinions are expressed about how we should also carry deadly weapons....... and use them..!!

I have been told that Americans use guns to protect their property. Well, out in the big wide world, many other people take the view that human life is more important than property. I can't ever imagine myself living in a country where it is considered acceptable to shoot another human being dead because he tried to steal my television. Perhaps it's just a matter of perspective, eh..?

The phrase "Red necked good ol' boys" is used abroad (particularly in Europe) as a perjorative. And yet, you seem to not only like it, but actually revel in it. Is this just bloody-minded defiance...? A case of "Nobody likes us, we don't care"...? it may be just me, but that is something I've never been able to get my head around.

I am in no doubt whatsoever that the vast, overwhelming majority of Texans are good people. It just seems odd to me that so little is done, by Texans, to challenge negative views. Why don't those people who are labelled as "red necks" ever attempt to change other people's view of them...? They just appear to carry on as they are and adopt a "Go to hell" attitude towards everybody else. Well, that's fine if you want it, but you can't be surprised if it creates negativity, can you..?

Extreme right wingers..? Well, that is a political viewpoint and everybody is entitled to their political views. I'm a liberal voter. Yes, we have a political party over here which has the word "Liberal" in its title. I certainly don't think everybody should be like me, but by the same token, I won't be silenced from condemning a political doctrine that I personally find abhorrent.

So, whilst I certainly respect your right to challenge my comments and to have your own political, social and cultural mores, I would expect you to show me the same courtesy. I regret that the culture you freely choose to adopt and live by creates a negative impression amongst many people of the world, but that is up to you to change..... if you want to. If you're happy to remain as you are and be viewed as such then you don't really have grounds to complain, do you..?

Regards

rocket48 On May 23, 2013

, Texas
#48New Post! Dec 19, 2009 @ 17:04:23
@Jennifer1984 Said

Fair comment, Rocket and points taken.

You are absolutely right in your statement that Texans too, have rights. Nobody could object to that, and from where I sit, a long way across the big water I hope you wouldn't think I ever said they shouldn't have rights.

But can I ask you...... Do you really care what the rest of the world thinks of you....? There is a perception abroad, of Americans that is negative and I cannot believe that you actually like that. Or at least, don't care about it.

The rest of the world has different views, mostly liberal views. Of course I care what people think, but do I want to change my thoughts to appease those of others?

When you say I was being judgemental, what I actually did was to reflect this broad view. Yes, you do have the right to bear arms, and as long as you do so only in your own country and only use them to kill each other then who are we to complain.? And yet, the US gun lobby attempts to influence people beyond the US borders to adopt the American way. I have lost count of the number of discussions I have been involved in where some very forcible opinions are expressed about how we should also carry deadly weapons....... and use them..!!

I don;t believe I said you were being judgmental. I did say I know you were not being disrespectful and I did appreciate you giving your view of points.

I have been told that Americans use guns to protect their property. Well, out in the big wide world, many other people take the view that human life is more important than property. I can't ever imagine myself living in a country where it is considered acceptable to shoot another human being dead because he tried to steal my television. Perhaps it's just a matter of perspective, eh..?

Don't steal from innocent people that work hard for their property and you won;t risk your life. Simple as that. Ask me for anything and I'll give it to you if you really need it. Guns are not only to protect your property, but also your life.

The phrase "Red necked good ol' boys" is used abroad (particularly in Europe) as a perjorative. And yet, you seem to not only like it, but actually revel in it. Is this just bloody-minded defiance...? A case of "Nobody likes us, we don't care"...? it may be just me, but that is something I've never been able to get my head around.

I don;t recall ever saying that. I try to get everyone to like me because I like people of all walks of life. Don't expect me to be like you, but expect me to accept the way you are.

I am in no doubt whatsoever that the vast, overwhelming majority of Texans are good people. It just seems odd to me that so little is done, by Texans, to challenge negative views. Why don't those people who are labelled as "red necks" ever attempt to change other people's view of them...? They just appear to carry on as they are and adopt a "Go to hell" attitude towards everybody else. Well, that's fine if you want it, but you can't be surprised if it creates negativity, can you..?

Texans are the most neighborly people I have ever met. We do not label us as red necks, you do.

Extreme right wingers..? Well, that is a political viewpoint and everybody is entitled to their political views. I'm a liberal voter. Yes, we have a political party over here which has the word "Liberal" in its title. I certainly don't think everybody should be like me, but by the same token, I won't be silenced from condemning a political doctrine that I personally find abhorrent.

And you want us to be silenced?

So, whilst I certainly respect your right to challenge my comments and to have your own political, social and cultural mores, I would expect you to show me the same courtesy. I regret that the culture you freely choose to adopt and live by creates a negative impression amongst many people of the world, but that is up to you to change..... if you want to. If you're happy to remain as you are and be viewed as such then you don't really have grounds to complain, do you..?

I do want to remain as I am. As stated above, why would you expect me to change? So I can be as liberal as you?

Regards

Regards back at ya

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs