Separation of Humans and Other Animals

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Carameldream On January 15, 2010

kelowna, Canada
#31New Post! Dec 20, 2009 @ 02:15:39
@AmberB Said

You can't see the problem by asking a species that can't/won't even care for all of its own to care for all other species equally? That seems unrealistic to me, even more unrealistic anyway. (can't watch youtube, by the way)

Can I ask, though-- If you had to pick one, would you save the life of a human or of another sentient species?

I kind of like to think of myself as an activist. My passion right now is being a voice for animals. There are many activists like myself who enjoy saying that they prefer animal company over people since animals can love unconditionally and are simply more pure. I agree that animals are much more pure in intent & affection but.... a person can't rally for animals if they shun their own species. Fighting for rights includes all inhabitants of our planet as well as all the issues each species face. I have a passion for sharing info on the animal kingdom. I also would jump at an opportunity to work for a humanitarian cause!

IMO, there is too much 'us against them attitude'. The people who truly care for this earth will balance all issues to effectively heal the sickness many beings struggle with on a daily basis. It's about balance-the focus should be shifted away from speciesm & differences.
rogy On June 03, 2013

, United Kingdom
#32New Post! Dec 20, 2009 @ 21:08:49
@deal1 Said

If it came down to saving my children or my pets, my pets would die...my children come first and foremost.

And what follows from that?

Since most people would kill you to save their own children, what point are you making?

rogY
deal1 On May 06, 2011
SECRET SQUIRREL

not of this earth,
#33New Post! Dec 20, 2009 @ 21:29:44
Read it in context.
etherspin On March 18, 2011

mitcham, Australia
#34New Post! Dec 31, 2009 @ 02:30:15
@AmberB Said

You can't see the problem by asking a species that can't/won't even care for all of its own to care for all other species equally? That seems unrealistic to me, even more unrealistic anyway. (can't watch youtube, by the way)

Can I ask, though-- If you had to pick one, would you save the life of a human or of another sentient species?

I have NEVER heard of an AR campaigner seeking for all animals to be treated equally to humans or in the same ways, i dont know of anyone proposing aged care,education etc for animals , just that we dont mistreat the animals currently in our care and that we dont breed future animals to be used and exploited as products/belongings , this right not to be owned and exploited is the main right that AR campaigners want to be shared by humans and all animals
AmberB On May 24, 2010

#35New Post! Dec 31, 2009 @ 14:13:48
@etherspin Said

this right not to be owned and exploited is the main right that AR campaigners want to be shared by humans and all animals

That would still require some huge funding and planning to actually implement, and it's not even something that really should be implemented. That's saying that we can't own pets as well, that we can own and exploit the dog that we get for our children to play with. We can't have that hamster that teaches them how to care for little animals.

Then there's the fact that we can't cut meat out of our diets as a whole species. Aside from the seemingly endless logistical problems of attempting such, there's still the fact that without meat some people would take a hit to their health no matter how carefully they monitored their diet, not to mention those that simply don't have the capacity to monitor their diet closely enough to remove a food group.

mitcham, Australia
#36New Post! Jan 08, 2010 @ 12:24:43
actually it ensures that dogs cant be legally exploited by humans, keeps hamsters free and in their habitat and the lack of domestically caged animals and zoos illustrates to children that it isnt ok to treat other sentient animals as things in the same way we used to commodify women and slaves.
the vast majority of us dont monitor our diet very closely at all and i dispute that meat has any vital nutrient that cant be otherwise obtained with great ease.

the way we currently treat nonhuman animals suggests to me that the pet hamster strategy for instilling compassion isnt working !!
carloslebaron On February 20, 2010

DC, District of Columbia
#37New Post! Jan 10, 2010 @ 03:38:29
I think that we humans must treat one to another with dignity, not necessarily with love, this last feeling is optional.

Humans must treat other species with consideration, not necessarily with love, this last feeling is optional.

I own pets: two dogs. I have them a guards in my backyard. I won't allow them to live inside the house unless is very cold outside. I play with them from time to time, I talk to them sometimes, but if one day I install security cameras around my property, then I will have no doubt to sell them or take the dogs to the shelter.

I don't humanize dogs to the point as treat them as "human beings" or believing that the animals "think" like humans, because I never will buy such an argument. I give them good food and shelter, and I guess that is far enough when I found these dogs in the street almost in a skin and bones condition.

My regards.

mitcham, Australia
#38New Post! Jan 11, 2010 @ 23:24:55
@AmberB Said

That would still require some huge funding and planning to actually implement, and it's not even something that really should be implemented.

logistical problems dont diminish the moral imperative of ending rights violations - when considering which side of the fence americans fell on about slavery should they have said , "how will this effect the farmers ?" "should we let that be the deciding factor as to whether this is worth doing ?"
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs