The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Politics:
Racism

Does anyone else relate young, black males to crime?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5
ridden123 On December 01, 2009

#61New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 14:31:42
Now I am not racist of black people, but I think this is so. Every black person tries to be "gangster" so yeah.

True there aren't many black serial killers, but being a "gangster" and serial killer are 2 different things.

Now racial profiling is wrong though. If someone commits a murder chances are the police will arrest the black person. But most likely, the culprit was white.

#62New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 14:35:19
@sneaver Said

Yes, I agree there is nothing wrong with not seeing stereotypes. The problem is that everyone sees them ( even you). I asked you in 2 separate posts to imagine what comes to mind when you think of certain types of people. For example, a basketball player or a gymnast. You never answered what these people look like. I assume either you forgot to answer or you avoided answering because you didn't want to give an answer. The point is that any answer is a stereotype. If you say a basketball player is tall, that could be a stereotype. If you say a gymnast is short, that is a stereotype too. So, if you have a brain, you have stereotypes. The goal is to recognize them as wrong. I don't know how more clearly I can explain this to you again. There is a difference between a stereotype entering your mind and actually believing what enters your mind. When a stereotype enters my head I do brush it aside as being wrong, but my goal here is to trace why it got there in the first place. We all have different histories and experiences that shape our thoughts. Do you finally get what I am saying? I hope so.

Have you ever watched NBA before? 98% of the players are black. Have you ever watched the Olympics before? 98% of the gymnasts are short. Not all stereotypes are "wrong".
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#63New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 14:47:41
@ridden123 Said

Have you ever watched NBA before? 98% of the players are black. Have you ever watched the Olympics before? 98% of the gymnasts are short. Not all stereotypes are "wrong".

Stereotypes are wrong and I'll tell you why. NBA players choose to play basketball because they are tall, they don't become tall because they play basketball. Conversely, black criminals commit crimes not because they are black, but because of their upbringing and their surroundings. Where I live, very few black people live here, and guess what, almost all of the crimes are committed by whites.
boobagins On August 03, 2013
SPICY HOT TAMALES

Astral Weeks, Florida
#64New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 14:51:43
@sneaver Said

Yes, I agree there is nothing wrong with not seeing stereotypes. The problem is that everyone sees them ( even you). I asked you in 2 separate posts to imagine what comes to mind when you think of certain types of people. For example, a basketball player or a gymnast. You never answered what these people look like. I assume either you forgot to answer or you avoided answering because you didn't want to give an answer. The point is that any answer is a stereotype. If you say a basketball player is tall, that could be a stereotype. If you say a gymnast is short, that is a stereotype too. So, if you have a brain, you have stereotypes. The goal is to recognize them as wrong. I don't know how more clearly I can explain this to you again. There is a difference between a stereotype entering your mind and actually believing what enters your mind. When a stereotype enters my head I do brush it aside as being wrong, but my goal here is to trace why it got there in the first place. We all have different histories and experiences that shape our thoughts. Do you finally get what I am saying? I hope so.

I think people are getting caught up in the word stereotype which over the years has received a negative connotation even though it is a perfectly acceptable phenomenon. Its an attempt to be politically correct and IMO, being pc has limited view as well.

Today when many people think of the word stereotype, they often associate (key word associate) it with two words: wrong and assumption. And this is funny in itself as assuming all stereotypes as being a wrong "thing" is an assumption in itself and is therefore wrong.

I think in this post, mind association may be a better word as a stereotype is an extension of it.

#65New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 15:05:29
@tardcore Said

Stereotypes are wrong and I'll tell you why. NBA players choose to play basketball because they are tall, they don't become tall because they play basketball. Conversely, black criminals commit crimes not because they are black, but because of their upbringing and their surroundings. Where I live, very few black people live here, and guess what, almost all of the crimes are committed by whites.

Yes, but they still DO commit crime. Stereotypes are true, but stereotypes always change eventually. In 1950 the basketball stereotype was not true. The crime stereotype is true now but who knows, in the future it might be white people who do all the crime.
sneaver On December 01, 2009

Tampa,
#66New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 18:05:33
@ridden123 Said

When I say wrong I mean that it is not absolute. It doesn't hold 100% of the time. Even you recognized this discrepancy by not putting 100%. Wrong is too narrow of a word. I think Boobagins explained the phenomena pretty well.
Spinkiegirl On August 18, 2018

Chicago, Illinois
#67New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 18:56:43
@sneaver Said

My answer is when I think of a basketball player.....being from Chicago...I naturally think of Michael Jordon (Da Bulls)...when I think of a gymnast....I think of a toned body....could be male, could be female......I don't think either one of my answers here are stereotypical....I could be wrong!!! You see...not EVERYONE is like as you described.....I got your point a long time ago.....I just RESPECTFULLY disagree with you......and i'am sure that's ok with you! You simply can not speak for the entire race of humans when you say "we all stereotype".....i'am here to tell you...I do not!

Chicago, Illinois
#68New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 19:02:44
@ridden123 Said

Now I am not racist of black people, but I think this is so. Every black person tries to be "gangster" so yeah.

True there aren't many black serial killers, but being a "gangster" and serial killer are 2 different things.

Now racial profiling is wrong though. If someone commits a murder chances are the police will arrest the black person. But most likely, the culprit was white.

You have a lot to learn.....you said "EVERY black person tries to be gangster." How do you know this? Do you know every single black person in the world? NO you don't.......I would be willing to bet that I personally know more black people than you do.....what you being 13 and I 48......know plenty of black people....hundreds....not one of them is or wants to be a gangster......stop pushing your twisted views about blacks and anyone else on to the threads.....I think you need to learn a bit more about life and the people in it before you make comments like you did!! I'am just saying!!

Chicago, Illinois
#69New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 19:10:40
@boobagins Said

I think people are getting caught up in the word stereotype which over the years has received a negative connotation even though it is a perfectly acceptable phenomenon. Its an attempt to be politically correct and IMO, being pc has limited view as well.

Today when many people think of the word stereotype, they often associate (key word associate) it with two words: wrong and assumption. And this is funny in itself as assuming all stereotypes as being a wrong "thing" is an assumption in itself and is therefore wrong.

I think in this post, mind association may be a better word as a stereotype is an extension of it.

Kudos...I could agree with that!!
DickieBell On January 18, 2010

Deleted

14AYSTACK!, California
#70New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 20:35:13
@Spinkiegirl Said

Can you please explain to me....exactly what is a 'nigga'?

A dumbass word that people need to stop using so damn freely. It's a damn shame that people wanna try to justify using that word in any form.
whisper On December 30, 2009

swansea, United Kingdom
#71New Post! Dec 01, 2009 @ 20:42:33
It is true I think deep down, that alot of people view young black men to be criminals unless proven wrong. I have seen it on the bus. A black youth gets on the bus and its like he is parting the red sea..Everyone makes an effort to avoid him. Nothing is said mind.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4 5

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs