Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#46New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 07:53:38
@Johnny_shade Said

I said I like the idea of the stiletto feminist, you said you didn't. I was merely linking stiletto feminism with original feminism, after the original feminism had been abused by certain individuals. You can't expect those women who don't subscribe to the feminism that was being forced on them, to just lie down and take one for the team. If anything, stiletto feminism helped push the whole concept of feminism back on the right track

Well, Johnny....... I could say that because you are not a female, you have no idea how women think, so who are you to tell us what we are doing...? (tongue very firmly in cheek)....

I could say that, but I won't. LOL.

I think that talking in cliches and slapping meaningless, catch-all labels on something is simply lazy debating....... and sometimes, not debating at all.

There are some men whose hidden agenda is to denigrate feminism by any means possible, and by attaching this label to a very serious cause is an attempt to trivialise it in one way, whilst postulating the falsehood that something closer to sexist male interests is what women should actually aspire to.

A very cunning tactic..... in the knowledge that feminism is a very powerful movement which can't be destroyed and to which a significant proportion of women have sympathy with, these men attempt to dilute it's message instead.

There are basically two kinds of male in the world. One (the vast majority) who is comfortable in his own skin, gets along with life, achieves his goals and aims and has no gripe with women who want to have something better. The other kind (the minority) of man is insecure and weak. he is angry at what he perceives as the denigration of his role in the world and unable to accept that women have systematically chipped away at his position of superiority in the gender pecking order..... and are continuing to do so.

There is only one kind of true feminism, and that is the kind that seeks to achieve genuine equality of the genders. It is not a fashion statement, it is not a label, it is not a watered down version, diluted so as not to cause distress to the insecure and threatened.

If some men feel under threat from feminism, that is not feminism's problem. If men feel that women are overtaking them then that is masculism's problem. It is not for us to take our foot off the pedal, it is up to men to come up to scratch.

Personally, I see no reason why men should feel threatened at all. Women are not attempting to achieve a position of superiority, we are simply looking for equality. As I said above, the vast majority of men are quite comfortable with female equality. It is the few who can't or won't be persuaded who have the problem.

Johnny_shade On October 28, 2011

Casper, Wyoming
#47New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 08:06:04
@Jennifer1984 Said

Well, Johnny....... I could say that because you are not a female, you have no idea how women think, so who are you to tell us what we are doing...? (tongue very firmly in cheek)....

I could say that, but I won't. LOL.

I think that talking in cliches and slapping meaningless, catch-all labels on something is simply lazy debating....... and sometimes, not debating at all.

There are some men whose hidden agenda is to denigrate feminism by any means possible, and by attaching this label to a very serious cause is an attempt to trivialise it in one way, whilst postulating the falsehood that something closer to sexist male interests is what women should actually aspire to.

A very cunning tactic..... in the knowledge that feminism is a very powerful movement which can't be destroyed and to which a significant proportion of women have sympathy with, these men attempt to dilute it's message instead.

There are basically two kinds of male in the world. One (the vast majority) who is comfortable in his own skin, gets along with life, achieves his goals and aims and has no gripe with women who want to have something better. The other kind (the minority) of man is insecure and weak. he is angry at what he perceives as the denigration of his role in the world and unable to accept that women have systematically chipped away at his position of superiority in the gender pecking order..... and are continuing to do so.

There is only one kind of true feminism, and that is the kind that seeks to achieve genuine equality of the genders. It is not a fashion statement, it is not a label, it is not a watered down version, diluted so as not to cause distress to the insecure and threatened.

If some men feel under threat from feminism, that is not feminism's problem. If men feel that women are overtaking them then that is masculism's problem. It is not for us to take our foot off the pedal, it is up to men to come up to scratch.

Personally, I see no reason why men should feel threatened at all. Women are not attempting to achieve a position of superiority, we are simply looking for equality. As I said above, the vast majority of men are quite comfortable with female equality. It is the few who can't or won't be persuaded who have the problem.

I can confidently say that I am "quite comfortable with female equality."

You seem to think masculism and feminism are opposites Masculism is not out to degrade women, just as feminism is not out to degrade men.

"There are basically two kinds of male in the world."

This, however, is not meant to empower women. Unless your idea of empowering women is by using the same tactics sexist males use to degrade women

How would you feel if I said "There are basically two kinds of women?"
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#48New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 08:09:00

What a strange world you must live in.
Conspiracies, Utter certainties, and an ego unbounded!
I wonder why it is you spend so much time and energy putting men down here? A truly confident person wouldn't need to be so derogatory, surely?
Johnny_shade On October 28, 2011

Casper, Wyoming
#49New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 08:09:00
One more thing... I'm not saying I know how women think, and I never did. By saying that you can't expect women to just lie down, I'm referring to the strong-willed types of the original feminist movement. I'm sure we can both agree that they wouldn't "lie down and take one for the team."
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#50New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 08:50:25
How would you feel if I said "There are basically two kinds of women?" <<< Johnny Shade

I would disagree with you on the grounds that there are infinitely more than two kinds of woman. LOL.

But seriously, all jousting aside now....... that particular kind of argument is often used to define extremes. We all know that there are a thousand shades of grey that exist between the black and white, Johnny. However, we do need to define the extremes and that is as good a method as any.

Please don't take any of this personally, my friend. It's all good discussion and I quite like the points you raise. Your views are mostly interesting and challenging when the subject matter is relevant.

I quite agree with you that those women who think the movement is flawed should certainly not "lie down and take one for the team". And they don't...!!! Feminism is a broad based grouping and there are certainly a lot of strong minded women who disagree with certain aspects of the cause. Some object to the tactics we use now, and some think we should go back to the radical feminism of the 1970's and the direct action campaign.

Moderates like myself baulk against that, and it has to be said that the majority of feminists are very moderate. We believe in the rule of law, we believe in the use of the courts and the political process and of peaceful protest.

But at the very core of it all is the central aim, which is not negotiable.

Just think, Johnny....... the huge, vast, overwhelming majority of feminists are housewives. They have husbands of their own. Many have sons of their own. Do you think they want to create a world where their own sons would be disadvantaged..? Of course they don't.

There is no denigration of men involved, except in the minds of those who go out of their way to imagine such things. They are usually the ones who use spin to distort the message into what they want to see, and spread lies, distortion and falsehood to suit their own agenda.

Adelaide, Australia
#51New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 11:35:08
"There is no denigration of men involved,.......They are usually the ones who use spin to distort the message into what they want to see, and spread lies, distortion and falsehood to suit their own agenda."
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#52New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 11:40:44
There is no denigration of men involved,.......They are usually the ones who use spin to distort the message into what they want to see, and spread lies, distortion and falsehood to suit their own agenda." <<< Marcus

This is a perfect example of what I mean. Notice how Marcus has left out the exception. What I actually said was......

There is no denigration of men involved, except in the minds of those who go out of their way to imagine such things. They are usually the ones who use spin to distort the message into what they want to see, and spread lies, distortion and falsehood to suit their own agenda.

Marcus has attempted to falsify the meaning of my message, distort it's meaning and in doing so, spread a lie.

Thank you Marcus, for proving my point so precisely.
Jacquesmetat On August 01, 2012

Out on the 'oggin, United King
#53New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 13:09:20
@Jennifer1984 Said

This is a perfect example of what I mean. Notice how Marcus has left out the exception. What I actually said was......

Marcus has attempted to falsify the meaning of my message, distort it's meaning and in doing so, spread a lie.

Thank you Marcus, for proving my point so precisely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOy_oP3ESQY

Is this the marcus method of dealing with evidence?

Signed Jacques
Knight in shining armour
Rescuer of damsels in distress
Slayer of dragons
Battler of ogres
All round bon vivant

a

Adelaide, Australia
#54New Post! Dec 08, 2009 @ 13:50:17
Nice try little girl, but my clear separation of the two lines and the presence of the source post immediately above, along with all your other derogatory posts in this thread, speak for themselves. 8)

I repeat.."Conspiracies, Utter certainties, and an ego unbounded!"
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#55New Post! Dec 09, 2009 @ 07:40:35
LMAO @ Mel and Griff, Jacques.
Very apt and quite accurate, methinks. Kudos to you.

Just one thing.... Although I appreciate your support, I am quite capable of standing on my own two feet and arguing my own case, thank you. You're a fair minded man and that's a good thing, but please don't risk incurring the ire of the moderators on my behalf, Marcus isn't worth it. That is my final word to, and about, Marcus. I'm not going to pander to his childish attention seeking any longer

Let's stick to the point of the thread, shall we..? That would be my preferred option.

Sorry to see Johnny Shade hasn't come back to me on my previous message to him. I was rather enjoying this discussion. Johnny, if you see this, I thought we could extend this thread into the area of feminist theory if you would like to discuss that. Are you up for it..?

Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3 4

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs