Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2 3
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#31New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 08:47:07
@Erimitus Said

Erimitus: Yes, thank you

Actually, I'm not entirely comfortable with my final statement.
I think I'd rather say it this way.
The words create the illusion ( that there IS an illusion) of the illusion( the concept of reality being an illusion), all because of our natural propensity to question our lives, to look to the horizon, basically, to be Human.
We've just developed our conceptualisational skills and language to the point where their breadth and depth actually confuses the issues!
Yeah, that's a better way to put it, for me anyway!
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#32New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 10:43:55
Thanks Marcus, this may take me a while. I will respond when I think I understand.
Erimitus On July 01, 2021

The mind of God, Antarctica
#33New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 10:48:13
@bloody__bug Said

LIAR!

you do not exist!

I think, therefor you arn't!

Erimitus: Oh dear, I was afraid of this. I am only a figment of your immagination. If it would not be to much trouble please immagine me with enough money to pay my bills. Not rich, just enough for food and shelter. Sometimes I wish I had not taken the blue pill. Well there is not going back now. Thanks Bloody.
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#34New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 10:50:10
@Erimitus Said

Thanks Marcus, this may take me a while. I will respond when I think I understand.

No worries cobber, I can't ask fairer than that.
davii On January 14, 2013
I'm Awesome

Deleted

London, United Kingdom
#35New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 14:07:16
@Erimitus Said

Davii: We all tend to believe what our brain tells us?

Erimitus: Yes there is a tendency to believe what we experience. There may be times, I suppose, when we do not believe our perceptions and times when we do not believe out thoughts.

Davii: ?saying I think, therefore I am, isn't necessarily an adequate answer...

Erimitus: If the question is, ?do I exist?? then doubting I exist posits a doubter who exists.

Was thinking more along the lines that our brains interpret, largely as it decides, as you pointed out, through experience.

A red object appears white to your brain, when a light of the same red colour is shone upon it, yet the object is still actually red - even though your brain knows that the object is red, it still tells you that it's white.

If existance relies on the interpretation/perception of our surroundings and experiences of them, yet the brain decides an outcome regardless, how sure are you of that existance?

Summin like that, am half asleep atm...zzzz
buffalobill90 On July 12, 2013
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#36New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 14:27:25
@Erimitus Said

Buffalobill: ?there is no difference between the illusion and non-illusory experience?

Erimitus: can there be a non-illusory experience? Assuming objective reality, is there any similarity between that which is and that which is experienced. A group of people may all expercience the same event, yet each will have experienced it differently. Which experience was the reality?

Buffalobill: ?it [the illusion?] is an
in-substantive [without substance?] possibility?

Erimitus: do you mean that the sensation has no substance? Can a sensation be caused by something that does not exist, like a phantom limb, a hallucination?

What I mean is that the illusion is so consistent that even if we are under no illusions about reality we would not be able to distinguish this from an illusory experience. So even if we are under a consistent illusion, this information is insubstantive, i.e. insignificant and has no extra consequences beyond those of an intuitive, non-illusory reality. So whether we exist as we intuitively believe that we do is a pseudo-question, though an intriguing one.
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#37New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 14:30:49
@conservativehippie Said

You're always a good read E, ya funny bugger.

Ok, now where were we,, oh yeah existence, I tend to side (no surprise) with this concept.
COGITO, ERGO DEUS EST !

Perhaps you aren't familiar with the Cartesian circle.

Or maybe your using a cosmological argument rather than ontological, in which case there are many reasons to believe that you can exist without having been created by an intelligent being.
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#38New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 14:45:56
@Erimitus Said

I exist. I accept that. I have perceptions. I see, hear, smell, taste, and feel. I accept that. And sometimes, when the fog lifts, I am willing to accept the possibility that my windowless padded cell exists independent of my perception, and do not believe that it is unreasonable to at least consider the possibility that my cell would continue to exist even if I was not here to perceive it. This is, of course, all theory. I have no way to prove it. When I am pretending, and I pretend a lot, I make believe that I have a computer, and that I send out messages, and there are responses, and the response and responders exist independent of my perception. I have no way to prove this. It is all theory. And then the fog rolls back in and I am once again absorbed by the haze.

You just think that you exist!
KAMPA On October 28, 2013
Admiral Karl Donuts

Uhlan Bator, Mongolia
#39New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 14:47:38
PROVE IT!
Powered by tea

Viaticum, United Kingdom
#40New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 14:49:07
Defining 'I' would be a good start. Then you would have to define 'exist'.
arcades On August 08, 2013

Northbay, Canada
#41New Post! Nov 26, 2009 @ 21:18:49
Arcades: Reality is both (objective and subjective).

Erimitus: Does this mean that to be real there has to be both an object that can be observed and an observer. If a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there is there no sound, there will be vibrations; however a requisite of sound is an observer (hearer). Some studies have shown that when a tree falls in the woods and there is no one there the other trees laugh.

A: Yes it does mean that, also it means we create the object or reality to be observed.

Arcades: it (subjective reality) is inward illusion [of] outside experience (objective reality).

Erimitus: Do you mean that subjective reality is an illusion created by the mind in response to stimuli from objective reality. For example: while asleep you may hear a door slam and in the dream you hear a gun shot. Conscousness explains stimuli as best it can. Have I understood you correctly?

A: There both illusions.
But it's sort of the opposite.
Objective reality is is an illusion created by the subjective reality of our deeper states of consciousness.

Arcades: The ultimate truth is that we all exist inside our consciousness.

Erimitus: Consciousness is awareness of self. We all exist in our self awareness, that is we exist in the self of which we are aware. Existence is subjective. (Is that correct?)
The (a) non-physical self exist. The physical self is an illusion?

A: Exactly

Arcades: ?there is no outside (objective) reality.

Erimitus: ?and even if there was, how would we know it was real or illusion?

A: You wouldn't until you can start to literally shape your own reality as if your in control of your own dream.

Arcades: ?the way our physical brain experiences things, also adding what we perceive as time for continuity, gives us the allusion (indirect reference) of an outside reality?

Erimitus: Consciousness is not physical. The brain is physical and has an objective reality independent of consciousness. It is the brain (connected to the sense organs) that experiences objective reality. Is there some interface between the physical material electro-chemical brain and non-physical consciousness? Does consciousness require the physical brain? Can there be consciousness without something to be conscious of and conscious with?

A:Yes to the first sentence.

Yes there is an intermediary, it's called the higher mind.

The higher mind conceives, the consciousness receives and the physical brain experiences.

No it does not require a physical brain.

There is something to be conscious of because our consciousness is connected to many different lives.
Also there is an in between state after you die where you have the option to come back or create and experience your own desired reality, much like controlling a dream.

Arcades: Both (subjective (non-physical) and objective (physical) reality) can be considered illusions (deceptive appearance) or complicated holograms (three-dimensional images).

Erimitus: Subjective reality is an illusion (deceptive appearance) and in that deceptive appearance is all consciousness has to work with, objective reality is an illusion. (Do I have that right?) We are assuming an objective physical reality without any evidence that there is one.

Yup, we create the objective reality and the evidence that there is one.

Subjective reality is an allusion also created and used by the consciousness.

Arcades: But that's what reality is.

Erimitus: Reality is an illusion.

A: that's right.

Arcades: ?reality is ?shaped by our consciousness? it (reality) is both (objective (physical) and Subjective (non-physical).

Erimitus: Physical objective reality and non-physical subjective reality are interdependent.

A: Yes 2 parts that work together to create our physical experience.

Arcades: Ying and yang, 2 sides of the same coin.

Erimitus: The physical (objective) and the non-physical (subjective) are different aspects of the same thing.

A: Yes.

Arcades: The outside (objective) reality we experience is called a conscious co-creation.

Erimitus: Objective reality and subjective reality are a co-creation. i.e. can't have one without the other?

A: No by co-creation I mean certain things were predetermined before hand by all the consciousnesses of any and every human.

Arcades: This is where all the higher consciousnesses of all humans in this reality, past and present and future, agree on experiencing a specific reality until the ability to change your reality or travel to others is gained.

Erimitus: Ok, lost me on that one. Please explain.

A: It's just as it sounds lol.
Before humans existed, all the consciousnesses of any and every would be human up to a certain point in time, agreed upon certain limitations, like gravity and the speed of light....basically the depth of limitation we have created for ourselves.

Summery: the physical (matterial) and the non-physical (spiritual) are the same thing.......

Yep different aspects of the same thing.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2 3

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs