Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#16New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 03:19:48
@tardcore Said

The Electoral College represents the votes of the states, rather then the population. If a candidate has the majority of votes in a particular state, then they win all that state's electoral votes. So it's not really an "illusion".

"Though pledged to vote for their state's winners, electors are not constitutionally obliged to do so. A candidate must win 270 of the 538 votes to win the election."
https://www.answers.com/topic/electoral-college

It looks like an illusion to me.
Sweet_Merry On October 01, 2023
One day. . . I will

Building my Castles in the Sky
#17New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 03:20:48
Sorry, It didn't show the 1st time.
fractal7221 On November 08, 2012

Hubbard, Ohio
#18New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 06:50:56
The Founding Fathers stated that one of the greatest threats to democracy was the threat of faction. In modern terms, essentially special interests groups. The hope was that there would be so many competing factions, or special interests, that it would be difficult for any one faction to gain much traction.

Special interest have had a couple hundred years to overcome this set back, and we've seen special interests begin to homogenize. You have the green movement which is a tent for many other interests. You have business conglomerates that house many issues. Unions, Christians, and many ethnic groups too have formed large tent groups the seek to spread their influence.

Special interest have also learned to spend their influence on political parties, not on trying to influence individuals. Hence most union money goes to Democrats and a lot of Christian money goes to Republicans. Eventually the special interests agenda becomes incorporated and twisted with the party's platform.
tardcore On May 24, 2010

Deleted

Between a rock and another roc
#19New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 07:37:59
@Sweet_Merry Said

"Though pledged to vote for their state's winners, electors are not constitutionally obliged to do so. A candidate must win 270 of the 538 votes to win the election."
https://www.answers.com/topic/electoral-college

It looks like an illusion to me.

"Faithless electors" are pledged electors who do not choose to cast their votes for the candidates they have pledged to vote for. Modern electors as a practice pledge to cast their votes for the candidate that wins the majority vote in their respective state. To date, faithless electors have never changed the otherwise expected outcome of the election. No faithless elector has ever been punished or charged with a crime, even though 24 states have laws to punish faithless electors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faithless_elector
Marcussextus On November 25, 2014

Adelaide, Australia
#20New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 07:49:16
Is Democracy working? No
Is it just an illusion? Yes
Is there any working alternatives? No

The advent of the Party System saw the destruction of what little real democracy there was, it became a game of "good cop/ bad cop" played by the elites. As soon as "party loyalty" was born, democracy died!
Tako_400 On April 19, 2010
Keep Ya' Head Up

Deleted

Beirut, Lebanon
#21New Post! Nov 23, 2009 @ 07:56:15
@Erimitus Said

did everyone get to vote or only free white males. (as of course it should be)

No. But the idea back then was not to allow women to vote in the first place. So in a sense, they were following democracy. It was just a little different to them.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs