The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums: Teens:
School

Can a christian school expel you for your beliefs?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
geekyvampire99 On December 26, 2010

Baton Rouge, Louisiana
#1New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 15:33:13
I currently go to a private christian school. I'm and athiest and it's really getting annoying to hide it. I want to keep going to my school, but can they expel me if I say I don't believe in God?
If they can I'll just suck it up and shut up, but since the USA has freedom of religion...I really don't know what the rules are.
skittleyan On March 06, 2010

, Hong Kong
#2New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 16:41:42
look at the school rules and find out. i not think they will expel you for not being christian.
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#3New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 16:45:11
I doubt it, wouldn't that be religious discrimination.
rockcralwer1998 On December 01, 2009

Deleted

#4New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 16:52:51
i dont know. but the freedom of religion is most likly diffrent in a christian school. they might not want you trying to change other people. but i really dont know. and for a 100 year old to still be in school, you might want to just give up.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 17:10:10
I shouldn't think so. I was brought up as an atheist and I went to a Christian Church of England school. I didn't say prayers or sing hymns when the other kids did... I just stood there. The teachers actually respected my beliefs
deeFXCKINGjay On January 21, 2012
Bannned

, Kazakhstan
#6New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 17:24:47
yeah, I go to a CofE school, there's only evern been one christian kid ive ever know :/
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#7New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 17:32:15
@geekyvampire99 Said

I currently go to a private christian school. I'm and athiest and it's really getting annoying to hide it. I want to keep going to my school, but can they expel me if I say I don't believe in God?
If they can I'll just suck it up and shut up, but since the USA has freedom of religion...I really don't know what the rules are.

Yes, simply because it is a private school and not funded by any government money . And it's not like you didn't know you were registering to attend a private christian school and the papers you or your parent/guardian signed came with the policy . If you really want to attend that school you need to "just suck it up and shut up". Ask someone for a copy of their rules and policy.
My daughter attended a private christian high school her 10 thur 12 grades.
Lili On July 12, 2019

Sunshine Land,
#8New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 18:05:24
@geekyvampire99 Said

It's a private school, they can do whatever they want. Freedom of religion applies to the way the government cannot support or restrict any religion, so a public school couldn't expell you since you're federally funded. But a private school isn't run by or funded by the government.
x_Laura_x On April 02, 2024

Nowhere, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 18:13:36
Oh, I missed the private school part. Yeah, they probably can. Disregard my initial post
friendlybear On March 10, 2010

Deleted

Nanaimo, Canada
#10New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 18:18:19
That wouldn't be very Christian of them, would it?
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#11New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 18:27:58
I went to a C of E junior school, and they really seemed to lay in the religion bit.
We had hymn practice on a Friday - so that we all sounded perfect for assembly the week after u know. It really seemed to put people off religion, assembly every day, a teacher would stand up and give a sermon, usually ending with the theme of "other people matter more than you", or "Having fun with things that kids are mad on, isn't God's way" For the latter - imagine in a more modern setting - the teacher talking about Xbox live, using your DS, putting on the latest game on the PS3, but ending with....but that isn't God's way, you should instead be playing on a home made snakes and ladders board.

Well, if they saw you not singing the hymns, they would drag you out to the front and make you do it solo. The day started, middled and ended with prayers - and you better say them.

So maybe it's changed
iwannano On May 19, 2010
Mountain William

Deleted

#12New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 18:41:23
@sheepy Said

I went to a C of E junior school, and they really seemed to lay in the religion bit.
We had hymn practice on a Friday - so that we all sounded perfect for assembly the week after u know. It really seemed to put people off religion, assembly every day, a teacher would stand up and give a sermon, usually ending with the theme of "other people matter more than you", or "Having fun with things that kids are mad on, isn't God's way" For the latter - imagine in a more modern setting - the teacher talking about Xbox live, using your DS, putting on the latest game on the PS3, but ending with....but that isn't God's way, you should instead be playing on a home made snakes and ladders board.

Well, if they saw you not singing the hymns, they would drag you out to the front and make you do it solo. The day started, middled and ended with prayers - and you better say them.

So maybe it's changed

Doesn't sound like it's changed much. My daughter had a pretty comparable school day. I have never been believer' an my daughter wasn't really into the whole church part but , the education was so much better than anything she could have gotten in the public system and all that was required of me as her parent was check for her tuition and supplies.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#13New Post! Nov 21, 2009 @ 19:14:33
Depends on how well the school practices its beliefs. If dTHEY do, you will have no problem remaining a student.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs