Politics

Karadzic has a lawyer imposed in war crimes trial

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#1New Post! Nov 05, 2009 @ 16:11:31
I have just heard on BBC Radio Five Live that Radovan Karadzic, the Serbian charged with attempted genocide during the Balkans war, has had a defence lawyer appointed to him by the War Crimes Court in The Hague.

Karadzic had elected to defend himself at the trial, and as he has no legal background and appointed no staff to help him, the sheer weight of documentation in the case gave him the excuse that he needed another nine months to prepare his defence.

This led to the strong suspicion that he was indulging in delaying tactics simply to dictate his terms to the court and make a mockery of the justice system.

The court has now imposed a lawyer upon him and adjourned the trial until March when it WILL go ahead (they say). The adjournment is necessary to allow the court appointed lawyer time to prepare the defence for his client, which may be seen by some as a (sort of) victory for Karadzic. There may be something in that, but the appointment (whether Karadzic likes it or not) should ensure that no further delays occur once the court resumes.

treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#2New Post! Nov 05, 2009 @ 16:21:24
It seems unfair, he had ages to get ready for this case. I think he was nuts to say he would defend himself. They should do some sort of evaluation as to whether a person is capable of defending themselves before they ever accepted this. Now it is delayed until March.

Although every person deserves a right to a fair trial, its probably no comfort for the families who are waiting for closure.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#3New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 18:15:06
@Jennifer1984 Said

I have just heard on BBC Radio Five Live that Radovan Karadzic, the Serbian charged with attempted genocide during the Balkans war, has had a defence lawyer appointed to him by the War Crimes Court in The Hague.

Karadzic had elected to defend himself at the trial, and as he has no legal background and appointed no staff to help him, the sheer weight of documentation in the case gave him the excuse that he needed another nine months to prepare his defence.

This led to the strong suspicion that he was indulging in delaying tactics simply to dictate his terms to the court and make a mockery of the justice system.

The court has now imposed a lawyer upon him and adjourned the trial until March when it WILL go ahead (they say). The adjournment is necessary to allow the court appointed lawyer time to prepare the defence for his client, which may be seen by some as a (sort of) victory for Karadzic. There may be something in that, but the appointment (whether Karadzic likes it or not) should ensure that no further delays occur once the court resumes.

This is JUSTICE denied by legal proceedure.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#4New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 18:23:58
To think non of this would have happened had Mihailovic had the balls to stand up against the Ustase.
GeneticAnomaly On May 25, 2020
Marvellous, simply m

, United Kingdom
#5New Post! Nov 06, 2009 @ 22:59:25
I'm torn on this one ..

On the one hand everyone should be entitled to sufficient time to review the prosecutions evidence against them. Allowed reasonable time to prepare their defence.

On the other hand .. a position of 'I'm not ready yet' .. should not be allowed to usurp the law.

I'd suggest allowing him all the time he originally requested and no more.

If he elects to represent himself then let him. Might make the trial last a bit longer but, come the verdict, he can have no complaints.
jmo On April 29, 2021
Beruset af Julebryg

Yorkshire, United Kingdom
#6New Post! Nov 07, 2009 @ 00:58:20
I'm torn on this one too. I personally think the most evil thing he ever did was try and convince people 'alternative medicine' would actually cure them.
Jennifer1984 On July 20, 2022
Returner and proud

Penzance, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Nov 09, 2009 @ 05:19:23
@WASH Said

An interesting comment which could be interpreted in two ways:

1. Do you mean that justice is being denied by Karadicz's exploitation of the legal system to (suspectedly) delay and frustrate the application of justice..?

or:

2. Do you mean that the court appointing a lawyer is the denial of Karadicz's just right to defend himself..?

Would you care to expand upon your original comment..?

WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#8New Post! Nov 09, 2009 @ 23:22:48
@WASH Said

PS!
As long as the court us funded for this trial it will contioe to ADinfinitum.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs