Forums:
Random

Not sure where to put this- Rules for handling a Cyber Stalker

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
ReAdSaLoT On September 23, 2019

#1New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 03:11:15
THE RULES OF DEALING WITH BULLIES ON THE INTERNET

The Number One rule for dealing with this type of behavior is: don't respond and don't engage. This is not as easy to do as it sounds. It's a natural response to want to defend yourself.

However, never argue with a serial bully; it's not a mature adult discussion, but like dealing with a child or immature teenager; while the serial bully may be an adult on the outside, on the inside they are like a child who's never grown up - and probably never will.

The second rule is to keep all abusive emails. Create a new folder, perhaps called "Abuse", and move hate mail and flame mail into this folder. You don't have to read it.

When the time comes to take action, this folder of hate mail and flame mail is your evidence.

Bullies, especially cyberbullys, are obsessive people and if their account is closed down you may start receiving mail from another address.

This can later be compared to the abusive emails you've already received to identify the perpetrator. You'll find the same words, phrases and strategies occurring.

The third rule is to understand bullying, understand the profile of the serial bully.

Rule four is get help. If you're a young person, this is essential. Even mature experienced adults often cannot handle bullying and harassment by themselves. Sometimes you are dealing with a severely disordered and dangerous individual.

Rule five is become alert to provocation. It could be called "The Baiting Game". A provocative comment is made and those who respond spontaneously in irritation are then encouraged to engage in conflict with those who respond without irritation.

The provoker watches, waits and stirs the pot with the occasional additional provocation. What is interesting is the sense of gratification that a provoker gains from watching others indulge in destructive interaction initiated by him- or herself.

In this context, gratification is a perverse form of satisfaction akin to, but distinct from, pleasure.

The sixth rule is become an observer. Although you may be the target of the cyberbully's anger, you can train yourself to act as an observer. This takes you out of the firing line and enables you to study the perpetrator and collect evidence.

When people use bullying behaviors they project their own weaknesses, failings and shortcomings on to others. In other words, they are telling you about themselves by fabricating an accusation based on something they themselves have done wrong.

Whenever you receive a flame mail or hate mail, train yourself to instinctively ask the question, "What is this person revealing about themselves this time?"

The seventh rule is decide if you want to take action, and if so, prepare carefully and strike hard. Sometimes refusing to respond and engage will result in the cyberbully losing interest and going off to find someone easier to torment.

Sometimes though, especially if there has been interaction in the past, the cyberbully is so obsessed that s/he cannot and will not let go. You will have to make that person let go, but only through swift, hard, legal action, and only when the time is right. Don't deal with the abuser yourself, use a third party such as a solicitor.
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#2New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 03:17:59
Delete Buttons,their the greatest inventions since sliced bread Works every time.

#3New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 03:22:55
@Demented Said

Delete Buttons,their the greatest inventions since sliced bread Works every time.

You still need to keep old mail of that sort in case they open a new account. Some of these people are very tricky and have hacking skills.
loveis On January 15, 2010
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#4New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 03:23:53
@Demented Said

I agree!
Demented On January 31, 2024

, Australia
#5New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 03:35:41
@readsalot Said

You still need to keep old mail of that sort in case they open a new account. Some of these people are very tricky and have hacking skills.

Right I miss understood your question them,I thought you meant E Mails.

#6New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 03:42:52
@loveis Said

I agree!

This is for stalkers who may open new accounts and you need to keep their email as proof. I didn't research this for nothing, I know how to delete. Somethings you shouldn't.
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#7New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 03:47:27
@readsalot Said

This is for stalkers who may open new accounts and you need to keep their email as proof. I didn't research this for nothing, I know how to delete. Somethings you shouldn't.

What do you mean when you say stalker, like they follow the person everywhere they go on the net, and do detrimental things?
brat-inella

Deleted

In the mirror,
#8New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 03:50:05
Nevermind! I was being lazy, and assuming...but I read it through this time, and interesting material!

#9New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 03:51:00
@loveis Said

What do you mean when you say stalker, like they follow the person everywhere they go on the net, and do detrimental things?

Cyber bullies, who keep pestering, if you don't keep proof, you can't catch them, and even if they open new account, their writing, threats, whatever stay the same. It's something to remember, even if it's never happened. The cyber police are getting increasingly busy. Bullying is on a constant rise.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#10New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 03:57:03
You know, I thought this sounded familiar, I read something like this a long time ago...Is this you?? intersting stuff... https://longrange.blogspot.com/2006/12/cyber-stalking-and-abusive-personality.html

#11New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 04:08:08
@floYdgirrl Said

You know, I thought this sounded familiar, I read something like this a long time ago...Is this you?? intersting stuff... https://longrange.blogspot.com/2006/12/cyber-stalking-and-abusive-personality.html

No, sorry. Mine was for a local paper.
floydgirrl On October 08, 2022
Stalkee

Pope's Wine Celler, Holy See (
#12New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 04:10:37
@readsalot Said

No, sorry. Mine was for a local paper.

You should site your source then

#13New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 04:17:00
@floYdgirrl Said

You should site your source then

I wrote it, The Delaware County News
I'm a freelance writer, I pulled it out of my files.
Darroll On April 26, 2012

salem, Oregon
#14New Post! Oct 30, 2009 @ 05:11:01
Quit stalking and grow up.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Be Respectful of Others

Subscribe to topic prefs