The Forum Site - Join the conversation
Forums:
Politics

Should Government Officials be subjected to Drug Tests?

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Pages: << · 1 2
Kristy69 On September 14, 2014
Carly's Mommy

Underneath the Cyanide Sun....
#16New Post! Oct 29, 2009 @ 03:09:31
@Darroll Said

Term limits,
Those people make the rules.

Congress members do have term limits. They don't have life terms. The only government officials that have that are Supreme Court Justices.
NickoBorgir On November 18, 2009

Deleted

Melbourne, Australia
#17New Post! Oct 29, 2009 @ 03:14:51
@fitzyp Said

Unless there's been sometime of epidemic of drug use going on then I would say no.

Government officials, like everyone, don't deserve to have they're privacy disrupted arbitrarily.

I agree with this 100%

However, if the OP was talking about drug testing 'while working', that's a different story, and I think they need to be subjected to drug tests no more than anyone else. Say C.E.O's of large companies.

If they do it in their private life, and it stays private, I don't see what business it is of anyone.
Carly's Mommy

#18New Post! Oct 29, 2009 @ 03:23:09
@NickoBorgir Said

I agree with this 100%

However, if the OP was talking about drug testing 'while working', that's a different story, and I think they need to be subjected to drug tests no more than anyone else. Say C.E.O's of large companies.

If they do it in their private life, and it stays private, I don't see what business it is of anyone.

Somewhat, I mean, member of Congress aren't in session all year round. And really, neither are state legislators.

Police officers and athletes are subjected to drugs tests. So I don't see any reason why government officials shouldn't.

As far as "private life" vs "public life" well, no one does heroin as a casual drug, but that's a different topic all together..
NickoBorgir On November 18, 2009

Deleted

Melbourne, Australia
#19New Post! Oct 29, 2009 @ 03:29:13
@Kristy69 Said

Somewhat, I mean, member of Congress aren't in session all year round. And really, neither are state legislators.

Police officers and athletes are subjected to drugs tests. So I don't see any reason why government officials shouldn't.

As far as "private life" vs "public life" well, no one does heroin as a casual drug, but that's a different topic all together..

that is is.

I guess if they were being tested at work, I have no problem. But I don't see why they should be subjected to it at home.

Police are meant to uphold the law, so yes, I think that's fair, Athletes...well that's a no brainer. But everyone knows how corrupt politicians are anyway....in my opinion drug testing would take focus off bigger issues? Maybe?
Carly's Mommy

#20New Post! Oct 29, 2009 @ 03:32:18
@NickoBorgir Said

that is is.

I guess if they were being tested at work, I have no problem. But I don't see why they should be subjected to it at home.

Police are meant to uphold the law, so yes, I think that's fair, Athletes...well that's a no brainer. But everyone knows how corrupt politicians are anyway....in my opinion drug testing would take focus off bigger issues? Maybe?

I don't think so, a pee test every 2-3 months in session? Not a big deal. The only time it would become a huge deal is when they're getting suspended or fired.

No, I don't think they should be tested whiel not in session, I agree.
WASH On June 04, 2012

LINCOLN, California
#21New Post! Oct 31, 2009 @ 15:44:36
I said "yes" because most do not act normally in their voting on even the healthcare bill. They have set aside all other bills to concentrate on it. Not notmal for our Congress
PaNda On January 28, 2010
is Mysteria!

Deleted

, Texas
#22New Post! Oct 31, 2009 @ 15:56:07
I voted yes, but I think it should only be done if symptoms of drug use are present. What they do at home is their business as long as it doesn't carry over into their decision making. I wouldn't want Obama making a decision that affects all of our lives if he were under the influence. His views would be distorted to say the least.
Asme251 On December 21, 2017
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#23New Post! Nov 01, 2009 @ 10:58:34
@Ellen Said

How about term limits for congress?

Why not. However, I wish you luck in getting 3/4 of all the state legislatures to agree with you.
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#24New Post! Nov 01, 2009 @ 11:00:36
@Kristy69 Said

Congress members do have term limits. They don't have life terms. The only government officials that have that are Supreme Court Justices.

I think congressmen can get elected indefinitely.
Ellen On November 13, 2009

Banned

#25New Post! Nov 01, 2009 @ 11:24:27
@Asme251 Said

Why not. However, I wish you luck in getting 3/4 of all the state legislatures to agree with you.

Yeah I know it will never happen.
Carly's Mommy

#26New Post! Nov 01, 2009 @ 12:29:59
@Asme251 Said

I think congressmen can get elected indefinitely.

I think that's just supreme court justices.
But I'm looking in my AP US Gov't & Politics textbook and I'm not finding anything. So I'll just have to ask Sonneborn when I go to school tomorrow...
sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#27New Post! Nov 01, 2009 @ 12:52:49
Yes, they are not above the law, so why not?
Area Man

Boston, Massachusetts
#28New Post! Nov 02, 2009 @ 06:51:35
@Kristy69 Said

I think that's just supreme court justices.
But I'm looking in my AP US Gov't & Politics textbook and I'm not finding anything. So I'll just have to ask Sonneborn when I go to school tomorrow...

Which book do you have? I think I may have the same one at my school.
Also, look at the constitution in the back of your book!
(It's an AP Gov. book, it probably has it!)
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>
Pages: << · 1 2

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs