Politics

Police stop more than 1 million people on street

Reply to Topic
AuthorMessage
Ellen On November 13, 2009

Banned

#1New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 07:14:04
Quote:
Police in major U.S. cities stop and question more than a million people each year - a sharply higher number than just a few years ago. Most are black and Hispanic men. Many are frisked, and nearly all are innocent of any crime, according to figures gathered by The Associated Press.

https://apnews.myway.com/article/20091008/D9B75TA02.html

Disturbing.
sheepy On March 23, 2010

Deleted

Treasure Island, United Kingdo
#2New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 07:31:55
Not really though.

Would you rather they didn't stop and search, and all sorts of crimes went ahead.

As for the oft whinged about fact that more of one racial group is stopped than another, well duhhh, more crimes happen in areas where there's more of a certain type of racial background people living - this is an inescapable fact, it's to do with poverty and gangs etc.

Course, we could always move police resources out to the suburbs and stop some "WASP" 60 year old women to even out the racial quotas if it becomes a political need
Rflong7 On October 26, 2009

Deleted

, United States (general)
#3New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 07:37:35
What is disturbing?

The fact that the population of cities is rising or that on one is fighting it?

Banned

#4New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 07:40:12
@sheepy Said

Not really though.

Would you rather they didn't stop and search, and all sorts of crimes went ahead.

As for the oft whinged about fact that more of one racial group is stopped than another, well duhhh, more crimes happen in areas where there's more of a certain type of racial background people living - this is an inescapable fact, it's to do with poverty and gangs etc.

Course, we could always move police resources out to the suburbs and stop some "WASP" 60 year old women to even out the racial quotas if it becomes a political need

I would rather the police not stop and hassle anybody unless they have probable cause.
sugarflyguy On March 15, 2010
Pro-Pho-tographer

Deleted

Leaving TFS today:), United Ki
#5New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 07:43:10
I get stopped loads of time by the police, next time I am going to accuse them of harassment
lindasue1718 On January 13, 2010

San Antonio, Texas
#6New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 11:31:41
@Ellen Said

I would rather the police not stop and hassle anybody unless they have probable cause.

I would rather them arrest the ones they come across that have warrants or drugs or illegal weapons on them. Thats a few more criminals off the streets(and a safer community) and if an innocent person is stopped Id rather them have the "inconvenience" of it all as opposed to not having any of these criminals picked up.
whisper On December 30, 2009

swansea, United Kingdom
#7New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 12:36:47
mmm..it's a double edge sword..I think that being stopped by the poilce is no problem if you haven't done anything...I think its more a principle that if you stop enough people you will find some hard faced criminals....But, it can be viewed as an infringment of your human rights..I think this is an impossible recipe to get right for everyone.
treebee On April 13, 2015
Government Hooker

London, United Kingdom
#8New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 14:27:03
It would be much easier if people made some kind of clanging noise when they break the law. This would make it much easier for the police to identify criminals.
Nanook On January 14, 2010

Banned

In hell, United Kingdom
#9New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 14:31:02
There is a party conference on in manchester and the police have set up a road block and check points. When i have been out with friends to the walkabout pub near the amc great northen (deansgate) me and a couple of friends got stopped and where asked politely if they (the police officers) could check my backpack and i politely agreed to let them search my backpack, all they found where some sweaty clothes

Banned

#10New Post! Oct 10, 2009 @ 15:48:53
@lindasue1718 Said

I would rather them arrest the ones they come across that have warrants or drugs or illegal weapons on them. Thats a few more criminals off the streets(and a safer community) and if an innocent person is stopped Id rather them have the "inconvenience" of it all as opposed to not having any of these criminals picked up.

That sounds an awful like a police state. Next they will be asking everybody "papers please". Oh wait, they already do.
Reply to Topic<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>

1 browsing (0 members - 1 guest)

Quick Reply
Politics Forum - Some Rudeness Allowed

Subscribe to topic prefs